By Kavya Singhal:

When I think about High school, the first few things that come to my mind are hormonal roller coaster rides, crazy friends, loads of arguments, ruthless bullies, fickle relationships, sickening drama and of course, then comes having to deal with all of it.

Peer pressure

Every thirteen to fourteen year old enters this maze to be lost for about 1460 days. That’s a lot of time, isn’t it? This is the time when most of us meet the best of friends and the worst of enemies. This is the time when the never ending hours are busy shaping us to become who we’d be tomorrow. This is the time that we prioritize to achieve our goals and this is the time that will always matter. For those who are one of those popular kids at school, high school may seem like Disney land. For the ones who don’t fit into the puzzle, it’s nothing more than a prison. I’ve been in both places, and now I’m somewhere in the middle. I went from having a gazillion fake friends to a few true friends; “Quality is more important than quantity” after all.

I’d like to emphasize on a point I made earlier about people who don’t “fit in”. This isn’t actually a problem just in high school. I have a friend who’s in college right now and he tried weed. He admitted that he didn’t really want to. So why did he do it? “Because all my friends were…” he said. A lot of children do get into drugs even during high school. Majority of these kids would’ve probably originally started only due to peer pressure. I haven’t been one of those kids because I don’t really get influenced easily by other people, so I don’t really know. Research says that some kids do it because of “depression”. I don’t think I’ve ever been “depressed” enough to do drugs.

Though I’ve never been in the extreme situations mentioned above, I do know that trying to fit in never really works. You might paint a completely different version of yourself for the world to see, but at the end of the day, you are who you are. So what if you’re not like them? So what if you stand out? That’s a good thing, no? You stand out because you’re not just another pretty little pebble in the sand. You didn’t round your edges to be a pebble. You’re a stone. You are a rough-edged stone.

To them, it’s not okay if you’re fat, and if you’re thin, they don’t even leave your bust size alone! If you happen to be a victim of such shallow elitists, just remember that these people can feel good about themselves only if they can make other people feel terrible. These people have a lot going on in their lives in actuality.

I don’t know if anyone reading this has ever done it but I know a lot of people who get into “relationships” to fit in. Now, I know that this might seem to be like the most essential part of your life during a certain time, but you’d realize soon enough that it’s untrue. Be with whoever you want to, but your motive should not be an attempt to fit in.

There are a lot of ups and downs during a lifetime. I’m not old enough to be able to say what happens afterwards and I don’t know how old you are. But if you happen to be in high school, don’t forget that there’s a real world waiting for you outside. It is a world that won’t care about how “hot” or “nerdy” you are. It’s a world that would care about who you really are, your talents and your achievements; in which the ability to fit in certainly doesn’t count.

Go ahead and make your mistakes, learn from your regrets and get over them. But don’t forget that the tangible world awaits you.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:46 am July 7, 2014
satyannarayana
Reply
Author

Hi,
Really very nice article ……..to give confidence

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:37 pm July 6, 2014
Taru
Reply
Author

Thanks kavya, you did an excellent job there. This article was like the need of hour for me. I’m actually going through this stuff in life right now. It makes me realize that i need not try to change myself for the world. I would never be happy this way.
THANKS!!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 10:21 pm December 30, 2013
mansi gupta
Reply
Author

well i ve always had a hard time trying to FIT IN. there was a time in school when i LITERALLY didn’t have any friends. and that carried on for a long time.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:37 pm December 10, 2013
Rishi
Reply
Author

Hey Kavya,
This article is amazing. You seem to be a person who understands the shit that people go through.
good luck finishing school!!

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:37 am December 1, 2013
Mehul Gala (@mahigala7)
Reply
Author

Thank you Kavya for writing this article. It really touched my heart.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:19 pm November 29, 2013
Ragini
Reply
Author

thank you for this piece of writing…feeling confident that I’m what I am…:)