Someone Asked This Woman Why She Hates India, Her Reasons For Loving It Will Give You Goosebumps

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

85 Responses

1. prajjwal biswas

Eshan Jafri was an Ex-MP when he died. He was not a MLA during 2002 as claimed by the attention seeker Arundhuti Roy.

I would like to advise her to do a bit home work before speaking nonsense and making herself a laughing stock.

Reply
  2. Gaurav

This is the original Piece written by Chyetanya Kunte but later on he had to retract because of legal pressure from NDTV.
    —————————————————
    Appalling journalism. Absolute blasphemy! As I watch the news from home, I am dumbfounded to see Barkha Dutt of NDTV break every rule of ethical journalism in reporting the Mumbai mayhem.

Take a couple of instances for example:
    In one instance she asks a husband about his wife being stuck, or held as a hostage. The poor guy adds in the end about where she was last hiding. Aired! My dear friends with AK-47s, our national news is helping you. Go get those still in. And be sure to thank NDTV for not censoring this bit of information.

In another instance, a General sort of suggests that there were no hostages in Oberoi Trident. (Clever.) Then, our heroine of revelations calls the head of Oberoi, and the idiot confirms a possibility of 100 or more people still in the building. Hello! Guys with guns, you’ve got more goats to slay. But before you do, you’ve got to love NDTV and more precisely Ms. Dutt. She’s your official intelligence from Ground zero.

You do not need to be a journalist to understand the basic premise of ethics, which starts with protecting victims first; and that is done by avoiding key information from being aired publicly—such as but not limited to revealing the number of possible people still in, the hideouts of hostages and people stuck in buildings.

Imagine you’re one of those sorry souls holed-up in one of those bathrooms, or kitchens. A journalist pulls your kin outside and asks about your last contact on national television, and other prying details. In a bout of emotion, if they happen to reveal more details, you are sure going to hell. Remember these are hotels, where in all likelihood, every room has a television. All a terrorist needs to do is listen to Ms. Barkha Dutt’s latest achievement of extracting information from your relative, based on your last phone-call or SMS. And you’re shafted—courtesy NDTV.1
    If the terrorists don’t manage to shove you in to your private hell, the journalists on national television will certainly help you get there. One of the criticisms about Barkha Dutt on Wikipedia reads thus:

During the Kargil conflict, Indian Army sources repeatedly complained to her channel that she was giving away locations in her broadcasts, thus causing Indian casualties.
    Looks like the idiot journalist has not learned anything since then. I join a number of bloggers pleading her to shut the f⋅⋅⋅ up.
    Update: In fact, I am willing to believe that Hemant Karkare died because these channels showed him prepare (wear helmet, wear bullet-proof vest.) in excruciating detail live on television. And they in turn targeted him where he was unprotected. The brave officer succumbed to bullets in the neck.

Update 2 [28.Nov.2300hrs]: Better sense appears to have prevailed in the latter half of today—either willfully, or by Government coercion2, and Live broadcasts are now being limited to non-action zones. Telecast of action troops and strategy is now not being aired live. Thank goodness for that.
    Update 3 [30.Nov.1900hrs]: DNA India reports about a UK couple ask media to report carefully:
    The terrorists were watching CNN and they came down from where they were in a lift after hearing about us on TV.
    — Lynne Shaw in an interview.
    1. Oh, they have a lame excuse pronouncing that the television connections in the hotel has been cut, and therefore it is okay to broadcast. Like hell!
    2. I’m thinking coercion, since Government has just denied renewing CNN’s rights to air video today; must’ve have surely worked as a rude warning to the Indian domestic channels

Reply
  3. Gaurav

Some self-proclaimed intellectuals in India do more harm to this country than good. These guys do anything to get into lime light . They can go to any lows just to keep themselves in limelight. One such person is Arundhati Roy.

Even before we forgot her anti-India rhetoric in the Kashmir issue , she is now speaking against Anna’s movement and Jan-Lokpal bill.Donot know what’s cooking in her head. She’s upset that the Lokpal has wide-ranging powers of investigation, surveillance and prosecution, and then she uses her amazing writing skills to suggest that Lokpal will practically have everything except their ‘own prisons’. She also thinks Anna is a fresh minted saint, donno what’s in her mind. The article below has all the details.Please read the article completely. It’s gem of an article.

There was an article in The Hindu today by Arundhati against the movement for Janlokpal, she’s eloquent as usual, and she misses the point, pretty much as usual. In this article I am trying to talk about the points she raised and hopefully when we are done we might have a broader perspective of this movement than what Arundhati has projected.

Arundhati’s most important gripe seems to be that the people in the movement are raising slogans like – (a) Vande Mataram (b) Bharat Mata ki jai (c) India is Anna, Anna is India (d) Jai Hindi. Would she prefer if they said (a) India Hai Hai (b) Indian govt murdabad (c) Jeeve-jeeve Pakistan, when they come out on the streets to demand that the Indian government creates a better system for our people?

She’s lying when she says that the slogans are the answer you get when you ask questions about Janlokpal. The team that’s running Janlokpal has made every attempt to talk to anyone who is concerned about it, and to alleviate all their doubts. For months there was a public referendum on the provisions of Janlokpal, very openly, and lots of provisions were rejected, modified, and adapted according to the inputs of the people. This is a fact, not what Arundhati is saying.

Even now Anna Hazare and his team has announced that they are open to any public debate on Janlokpal and they will answer all the questions that anyone might have on any issue. Yesterday Arvind Kejriwal and Prashant Bhushan did just that on a popular television network. There are videos of the team members speaking on different aspects of Janlokpal and why we need them that have been online for months.

Arundhati, lie one caught.

Her second claim is that Janlokpal seeks an overthrow of the Indian state. Lying again. For almost an year now the Janlokpal team has been working with the government, with all the members who care, to frame a strong law against corruption. They’ve met the current government leaders, opposition leaders, chief ministers, individual MPs, talking to them, and telling them why the country needs a strong anti-corruption framework. Is that working to overthrow the state?

They sat on a very hostile government panel and tried everything they could to push their proposals forward in the way government wanted them to. After the government panel wasted the nation’s time and failed to include even one, repeat, even one important proposal of the Janlokpal bill, and instead sought to push their own Jokepal which would prosecute the victims instead of the perpetrators, they decided to sit on a dharna asking the government to make a strong bill.

Let me remind Arundhati that this was done in a perfectly legal and non-violent manner, and Anna is asking this administration to implement Janlokpal, not seeking a new government. Are you trying to tell the people of India that demanding a strong anti-corruption framework amounts to overthrowing the government? Let us hear that again more clearly.

Arundhati, lie two caught.

Next she proceeds to tell us that Anna Hazare is a ‘freshly minted saint,’ which should suggest that he has no right to speak against public injustice as apparently, only stale saints are allowed to crusade for India.

Wait a minute though, this freshly minted thing doesn’t sound true at all. Anna Hazare took voluntary retirement from the Army in 1978 and started his campaign to transform Ralegaon Siddhi. All through the next decade he worked hard for the villagers campaigning for things like liquor prohibition, grain banks for the poor, better milk production, creation of more schools (he sat on a fast for this), against untouchability and for collective marriages. In 1991 he started the Bhrashtachar Virodhi Jan Andolan. What was Arundhati doing then? Oh wait, she hadn’t written her first book yet.

Anna Hazare has led many movements against corrupt officials and politicians. Powerful people. People who’ve maligned him, filed false cases against him, and even sent him to jail. He has borne the worst of what the powerful and the corrupt have to offer, unlike Arundhati whose only achievement seems to be making radical statements. It’s a shame that someone like her should call a fighter like Anna a ‘freshly minted saint’.

Arundhati, lie three caught

She is also giving a distorted version of the sequence of events that unfolded during Anna’s stay at the Tihar jail. She’s saying that Anna remained in Tihar as a ‘honored guest’. If you are looking for honored guests Arundhati look for Suresh Kalmadi, Kanimozhi, A Raja, Manu Sharma, or Vikas Yadav, maybe even Afzal Guru. Anna isn’t one of them.

Let me remind you that Anna Hazare was picked up from his residence by the Delhi Police. He hadn’t been on the streets murdering people with a gun the night earlier. He was at Rajghat where he sat for an hour in meditation.

The police sent Anna to Tihar in 7 days judicial custody. To prevent what? A non-violent protest against corruption in India. On 16th August nearly 15,000 people of New Delhi and Mumbai courted arrest. They went to JP Park, Azad Maidan, or whatever the venue was in their city, asking the police to arrest them. They did not burn buses, break glasses, or set fire to homes. I have a photograph of the special jail at Chhatrasal Stadium for you here.

The people brought to Chhatrasal Stadium after their arrest.

The government was counting on their belief that no one would come ahead for Anna, and that they would be able to dispose him the way they disposed Baba Ramdev. Unfortunately for them the people of India had had enough. Anna was made an ‘honored guest’ in your words because of all the people who were in the jail, and outside the jail for him.

Why didn’t Anna come out? Because he was asked to (a) go home, (b) leave town. When Anna Hazare asked whether he would be allowed to hold an unconditional protest the Delhi police refused. Anna said that if they release him he would lead the protest and they would have to arrest him again, so it’s better that he remain in jail until the government agrees to let him protest.

Usually when a protest is organized, the people who run the protest have enough time to make preparations. There has to be enough room, and proper arrangements to make sure that the thousands collected are managed properly and without harm. If Anna had gone to the protest before the arrangements were made it could have resulted in utter chaos that might have had serious repercussions for the people gathered. Do you realize that Arundhati?

She also said that Anna’s team whizzed in-and-out of prison and it is a privilege that no one else has. Anna’s team came out when the individuals chose to be released, and when Anna refused to budge Kiran Bedi and other team members were invited by the government to try and negotiate with Anna. How does that compare to Kalmadi having a nice tea-biscuit brunch with the Warden a few days ago? Or Manu Sharma being surreptitiously paroled? Did you hear about them at all?

Arundhati, lie four caught.

Her next claim is that MCD worked hard to prepare the grounds. Is that right? I will bet anybody that Arundhati didn’t go to the grounds to inspect the preparations, and she’s talking out of her head again. I went to the ground and saw the state it was in. Here is a photograph for you Arundhati. Do you see the MCD here? Or do you see young people who are rushing to clean the wet mud, trying desperately but in union, to make the place better than a pigsty so that the people could stand.

They dug a little canal to channel the water from the ground into the drains

She’s mopping the carpet so that it may become fit to stand on

Even if they weren’t, and even if MCD had sent all their workers to prepare the grounds for Anna Hazare’s protest, would there still be a reason to complain? What MCD did there was its job. The Ramlila Ground is supposed to be maintained by the MCD for massive gatherings. When MCD doesn’t do its job and the grounds is water-logged and mosquito infested, it creates a serious health hazard for everyone who’s there. MCD prepares the grounds for all public protests too. It did the same for Sonia Gandhi’s rally just a few months ago. Arundhati, you want the MCD to not do its job because this protest is not organized by a political party?

Arundhati, lie five caught.

She’s upset that the Lokpal has wide-ranging powers of investigation, surveillance and prosecution, and then she uses her amazing writing skills to suggest that Lokpal will practically have everything except their ‘own prisons’. I am on the verge of losing my breakfast!

Arundhati, one would expect someone who questions the Indian legal system so openly to have better knowledge about it. The police has the powers of (a) investigation, (b) surveillance, and (c) prosecution. So does the CBI. How are Lokpal’s power different? The only thing that Anna is asking for is that the Lokpal be a specialized body against corruption and that it must not need to seek permission from anybody to prosecute a corrupt office holder. Our present system puts severe restrictions on the investigative bodies. That’s why a CBI under the prime minister could not file a charge-sheet against A Raja, but when the supreme court took over the investigations A Raja was brought to jail.

Arundhati, I know that you knowingly did not make the point that the powers of Lokpal are limited to investigation, collection of evidence and prosecution. The Lokpal can bring a case to the court, and the judge will then decide on the basis of the presented evidence whether the person is guilty. How is that radically dangerous?

Arundhati, lie six caught.

It’s really amazing to see how Arundhati Roy can go to ridiculous lengths to fill the reader’s mind with garbage against Janlokpal. If you didn’t know about her problems with the Indian government, you could easily imagine she has been paid by it to write the article. She’s actually suggesting that the hawkers who pay the beat constable to set up their stalls might have to pay the ‘lokpal representative’.

Lokpal representative? Now she can frame those words and hang them on the Red fort for all to see and it still wouldn’t become true. The Lokpal is not a policing body. They can’t go and collect ‘hafta’ from the hawker.

When land-owner’s land is grabbed illegally and a mall is built there, or when a poor person’s store is unjustly removed, or when the beat constables or MCD representatives, or other government agency officials unjustly seek bribes from the people, that is corruption. The Lokpal is built to take care of that.

According to the provisions of the Janlokpal Bill, a citizen can make a complaint against an office holder, and the lokpal will investigate the complaint. If it is found true action will be taken. Lokpal is not going to send beat lokpallers to collect hafta from the poor. That’s downright ridiculous and only a fancy imagination could have conceived it.

Arundhati, lie seven caught.

She also says that the choreography, and aggressive nationalism seems to be like that of anti-reservation. It’s a clear attempt to draw the dalits away from the fight against corruption. And how inappropriate an attempt it is! It is the deprived, the dalits, who have to the bear the worst of corruption. The rich and the influential are filled with upper caste people who can actually use the present system to their advantage because they have money power, influence, and contacts.

The dalits don’t have the same advantages, that’s why when all other things being equal, it is the dalit who stands to lose when they compete with the upper caste. All due to corruption!

Now coming to the choreography. What sort of vague word is that? ‘Choreography’, what are we supposed to understand from it? If she’s talking about the slogans, we’ve already dealt with that. What else could she be talking about?

The anti-reservation protest was fraught with street violence and self-immolations. The people who opposed reservations closed down schools, colleges and offices, burnt buses, had violent clashes with the law, and burnt themselves to death. That hasn’t happened in Anna’s movement. This movement is perfectly peaceful and organized. Even when people are on a march, they stop at the red lights and crossings to let the traffic pass before continuing. What the hell is Arundhati trying to imply with her ‘Choreography’ then?

Arundhati, lie eight caught.

The next bit is very cruel. She craftily tries to separate Irom Sharmila, Bastar, Jaitapur, from the fast and implies by extension that Anna Hazare does not oppose Posco, or the farmer deaths in Maharashtra, or any of the other myriad problems that our country is battling right now. This couldn’t be furthest from truth.

Unlike Arundhati, Anna Hazare has recognized that too many of the problems that our country is facing are a direct result of corruption. That’s why a Madhu Koda is able to earn thousands of crores in graft money directly depriving the adivasis. That’s why Yeduyarappa is able to give illegal miners a free hand. That’s why Bastar and Irom, and Niyamgiri exist. Because of corruption.

If our framework made the responsible people accountable, it would create a huge difference in all of these issues. Imagine a bastar free of poachers, miners and land grabbers, a maharashtra village where the government’s benefits schemes are truly implemented. Forget all the other instances, just imagine what Manrega can really do for the people if it is implemented honestly.

You’ve also claimed that Anna doesn’t care about the farmers in Maharashtra, or in other places, even though he has spent his entire life demonstratively in fighting for the poor and deprived villagers and farmers. Maybe you didn’t hear about this because you were too busy hobnobbing with India haters.

Arundhati, I believe that fighting corruption is fighting on behalf of all the people you’ve named, and not against them. If you believe otherwise, give me your reasons.

Arundhati, lie nine caught.

The next slander if of course the ultimate weapon that anyone can hurl at Anna. That he supports Raj Thackarey or Narendra Modi’s alleged wrongdoings. This is a joke, specially in sight of the fact that some of the hardliners aligned with the BJP, the hindu-brigade, and Narendra Modi are up with cudgles against Anna Hazare. They’re making the claim that Anna Hazare is an agent of Congress, propped up by Congress to facilitate the crowning of Rahul Gandhi.

The communists have no love for Hazare, the right wingers have no love for Hazare, and the Congress has no love for Hazare. My God! He must be awesomely right!

Answering your gripe, Anna Hazare has said it publicly multiple times that he is against any oppressive actions targeted against any community and that he supports a system that gives equal rights to all citizens irrespective of their religion.

And if you think you were succeeding in your nefarious scheme to distance the muslims from the movement, you’ve failed. Muslims as a community have lent their support to Anna Hazare in a massive way. Many Imams and Maulavis have made public statements, and the Dar-ul-Uloom, which is the biggest body of Muslims in India has said that it is the duty of every Muslim and citizen of India to support Anna Hazare. If they are wrong, then you must know something that they don’t. Care to share?

You’ve also brought the ‘Youth for equality’ into this. So what if Anna’s movement is supported by the Youth for Equality? It is also supported by the All India Youth Federation. Let me show you a pic of AIYF activists who marched against corruption for Anna. Lest you’ve forgotten the AIYF is the youth wing of the Communist Party of India.

They supported Anna because they want a corruption free India

Do you realize that when it comes to this fight against corruption Anna does not choose who supports him. He gratefully accepts their support. Of course he doesn’t give them anything in return except a law that’s strongly against corruption.

That’s why the Gyan Das Akhara of Ayodhya, and Hashim Ansari, the famous anti-temple litigator have jointly expressed support for Anna Hazare. Do you have the courage to rise above your own pettiness?

Arundhati, lie ten caught.

You are also very misinformed, or maybe you choose to present wrong information to the people. You have said that ‘Kabir’ is an NGO run by Arvind Kejriwal and Manish Sisodia. Actually Arvind Kejriwal does not run Kabir. He is an executive member because Manish Sisodia is an old associate from Parivartan, but he does not manage it, or intervene in it. It is managed by Manish Sisodia. Arvind Kejriwal’s foundation is the PCRF. They have received no donation from Ford. Their balance sheets are available on their website for public inspection. Have a look at all the money this foundation has.

Arvind started this foundation with 14 lakhs, the money he got with his Magsaysay Award. He used it for public cause and to support RTI in India.

The PCRF maintains complete accounts for the present anti-corruption movement too. Details of all incoming donations are available on the website of India Against Corruption, and expenses are detailed too. You should have a look at that.

The amount Kabir has received as donation from Ford is $200,00 and not $400,000 as you claimed. This is verifyable form the website of the ford foundation (http://www.fordfoundation.org/grants/search). You could have done well to note that this donation has nothing to do with the present movement, but you did not. I will do this for you here. This donation was made in 2011 to Kabir to promote the use of RTI in India, and not to support the India against corruption movement.

Arundhati, lie eleven caught.

You say next that the present bill fails to bring the corporates and the NGOs against the ambit of Lokpal. Does our present legal system allow that? Does our present legal system allow surveillance of the functioning of privately funded NGOs or corporate bodies in the same manner that it allows the surveillance of government organisations? The legal experts have said no, and this is the reason according to the team that they are not proposing this at the present time.

What you’ve forgotten is the fact that it is the government system that’s the worst offender when it comes to corruption, because it allows its misuse by the private sector resulting in the problems you’ve mentioned. There are already checks and systems to prevent and prosecute the wrong-doings of the private sector, but they are compromised because the investigative bodies are in the graft, or their masters are.

If we can make this start by creating a law that forces the government systems to work properly it will undoubtedly lead to better handling of the private sector too. Can you imagine the telecom companies benefiting from 2G the way they did if they didn’t have A Raja working for them? Or the various private companies making huge profits from CWG tenders if Kalmadi and Sheila Dikshit didn’t back them so brazenly?

Anna’s team has given the commitment to keep fighting, to further the cause, and take fresh measures to rid the people of corruption once the Janlokpal bill is in place. By making the Janlokpal bill an excuse to talk about all the different malaise we have you are attempting to short-circuit the anti-corruption drive itself. How is fighting government corruption any less holier than fighting corruption in private organisations?

Arundhati, lie twelve caught.

The only sense you are making is in the last paragraph when you say that Anna’s movement is the result of the failure of the legislature which is filled with criminals and millionaire politicians who have ceased to represent their people. You know, that’s exactly the point that Anna Hazare has been making. Our MPs are totally living in denial of the people’s needs and aspirations. They believe that 9% growth of GDP is an achievement worth having 11% food inflation for. It is their corrupt mindset and disconnect which must be challenged, and that’s exactly what Anna is doing when he mobilizes people in such a massive manner against corruption. The fact is, we should all be thankful to Anna Hazare for reminding the MPs that a democracy is not just made up of the parliament, but also of the people.

Note: This article is copyright free. You can share it wherever you want, you can post it on your fb or twitter profile. You can put it on your blog, even with your own name if you want. You can translate it and use it. You can add to it, trim it. Just don’t change the facts and the purpose. Thank you guys for your overwhelming response.

This is not an article I have written , I can only Dream of writing an article as beautiful as this . Right from paragraph 3 to the one just above this line , the contents have been copied from another blog called clear visor . Here is the link

Reply
  4. Gaurav

another article by suni sharan
    ———————————————————
    Where art thou, Arundhati Roy? The silence of India’s only winner of the Booker Prize is deafening after the country’s Maoists, whom she strongly supports, massacred a number of senior politicians recently.

Arundhati also pitches strongly for the rights of Kashmir’s Muslims. India’s chatterati despises her as the shrill bitch, the tormentor of Kashmir’s Hindus, the denigrator of India. Is Arundhati then keeper of India’s conscience, or is she someone, who unfairly, and needlessly, rubs dirt in the country’s face?

How you see her depends upon your vantage point. Her first novel, The God of Small Things, came out in 1997 and took the world by storm. Noticing a woman giggling all over the French edition in the Paris metro then made me so proud of being Indian.

As Arundhati herself says, her natural trajectory would have been churning novel after novel, and becoming an international icon for India. Instead she veered away into becoming India’s fiercest critic, spurning fiction for rabid political commentary.

When Barack Obama visited India in 2010, he applauded the country for listening to every voice. Since no one in India shrieks with as much felicity as Arundhati, quite possibly he had her in mind.

The international acclaim that Arundhati gets adds to her aura, of a Joan of Arc taking up cudgels against the mighty Indian state, but also bares her to charges of hypocrisy. If India, as she claims, has been responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of Kashmir’s Muslims, then why does she point the finger from forums in America and Britain, who stand accused of massacring close to a million Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as the displacement of millions more?

Another criticism of Arundhati also seems credible; that when she bats for someone, she gives no quarter to the other side. So when she takes up the cause of Kashmir’s Muslims, she pays little heed to the plight of Kashmir’s Hindus, who have been ethnically cleansed from Kashmir. The separatist Kashmiri leader, Ali Shah Geelani, wants to impose Sharia law in Kashmir, but that has not prevented Arundhati from becoming his fervent admirer. Imagine how she would fare in the world of Sharia if she comported there as she does now.

She labels the Maoists, “Gandhis with guns,” and justifies their violence. While ranting and raving, she seems to reserve all the rant for one side, all the rave for the other.

Most of her detractors concede that she is blessed with a piercing pen, which makes her even more dangerous as a provocateur. India’s former home and current finance minister, the Harvard-educated P. Chidambaram is her perpetual bête-noire. Even he concedes that while he disagrees with her, he wishes that he could write like her. He could well be trying to get her off his back though to ease his path towards India’s prime ministership, upon which his eyes seem firmly set.

If her opponents are not able to placate her, they seek to diminish her. Arundhati has not written another blockbuster after The God of Small Things. Her belittlers question why not. Has she lost the gift of the plume? In all fairness to her, she has been consumed with activism. In any case, she does not need to prove her writing credentials to anyone.

Arundhati has almost single-handedly changed the national discourse around the Maoists, and to some extent, Kashmir. The Maoists were considered sub-human obstructionists, who needed to be cleared from their lands for India to develop. The Indian government was once even considering bombing them. But Arundhati’s relentlessness forced the country to reconsider its stand. In the wake of the recent Maoist attack, the government seems to be creeping toward some form of fire from the air though.

More than anything else, it is her fierce support for Kashmir’s independence that makes many Indians see red. They fear that the region will became a bastion of Islamic terrorism against India, and hope that she disappears into the black hole that Geelani and his ilk intend to create. But here too, her intransigence has made the government become more sensitive.

That she maintains a house in one of Delhi’s most posh neighborhoods, into which she retreats after every excursion of activism, is another cause for mockery. And that Western media, in which India’s chatterati craves recognition, gives her so much air time to bash India, is an unending sore spot.

Despite all her supposed ills, Arundhati, like no one else in India today, holds a mirror in front of the country, exposing its biggest warts. Perhaps she draws inspiration from Émile Zola, who pilloried the French president for anti-semitism in the late nineteenth century in the seminal J’accuse.

Arundhati’s causes are the very ones that the Indian government would most like to sweep under the carpet. She must realize though that there are two sides to every coin. The Maoists have legitimate fears of being stripped of their land, but the country also needs to exploit minerals. India has valid concerns about Kashmir, just as its Muslims want the government’s jackboot off their necks.

Earsplitting as she is, the nation needs her, and more like her. But she would be more effective if she were less partisan, less grating, less accusatory. Only then can she hope to become India’s conscience-keeper.

Reply
  5. Gaurav

There’s a mesmeric, seductive quality to Arundhati Roy’s prose. For all its verbiage, it teases, tempts and torments the mind and lures it into the parlour of a contrarian world; it then persuades it, with the sheer power of its eloquence that the natural order of things in the ‘real’ world as we know it is wholly unnatural and completely flawed.

“So you think India is a superpower in the making?” it says, and marshals compelling arguments for why India is more in the “bhookey-nangey” category. “So you think big dams are great for development?” it asks. “Perhaps you’ll feel differently if it were your home and your livelihood that needed to be sacrificed for the greater good”.

A fair-minded person might concede that Roy has at least half a point, even if, once the seductive power of her prose has worn off, her polemical pounding of that half-point is grating in the extreme. Heck, she’s not even the only one who holds an unflattering mirror to Indian society and forces us to reflect on our failings.

The social historian Ramachandra Guha does it no less trenchantly, no less controversially and no less eloquently; but he does it with a far greater sensitivity to the burden of history, and he at least has the intellectual honesty — and the good grace — to acknowledge the merits, such as they are, of India’s democracy, flawed though it is.

But whereas the soundbite-savvy Roy’s polemics were once merely infuriatingly dishonest (even when they had half a point), her most recent public articulations on Kashmir, coming on top of her unvarnished defence of Maoist resort to violence, cross the threshold of what any self-respecting, law-bound nation-state can tolerate. Roy may have declared herself an ‘independent mobile republic’, as she did after the 1998 Pokhran nuclear tests in order to dissociate herself from the BJP’s nuclear jingoism; but she’s still bound by the sedition laws of the decidedly immobile republic she inhabits.

Apart from being historically inaccurate, Roy’s words also betray an inadequate sensitivity to the enormous gravity of any loose talk of azaadi or self-determination at a time when the separatist campaign in Kashmir finally stands exposed before the world as having been propelled all along by Pakistan-backed jihadis who are playing for much larger stakes: the disintegration of secular India.

Perhaps in parlour room polemics, among calm and politically sanitised minds, there may be little risk from intellectual explorations of the merits of Kashmiri self-determination. But the Kashmir mind today is in a fevered state as a result of years of hot-headed jihadi indoctrination; only when that fever subsides can other cures be contemplated. Right now, given that inflamed state, Roy’s words have the potency to bestir indoctrinated minds into extreme action.

History doesn’t flow in straight lines, but in contours, and in Kashmir’s tortured history there are many contours to negotiate. The Indian state may not always have got it right in Kashmir, but Roy’s black-and-white delineation represents a colossal and intellectually dishonest oversimplification of the problem without sufficient appreciation of the fanatical geopolitical forces at work. It also takes her farther down the slippery slope of shrill and decidedly dangerous sloganeering which has enormous lethal consequences in the real world. Perhaps she should break the spell that her own hypnotic prose appears to have on herself and her increasingly fanatical flock of followers.

Reply
  6. Gaurav

let me reproduce an article by the Net HIndu below :

———————————————————————————————————-

I read a quote by the British historian, Arnold Tonybee who said “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder”. Truer words have not been spoken for India. We have survived the Mughals and the British. However, it seems that surviving the onslaught of the leftist ideology maybe too much for an ancient civilization like India since it will be death from within.
    With that in mind, I would like to focus on Arundhati Roy in this piece. In some ways she impresses me. She essentially is a one-book wonder. Such people are supposed to get lost in the crowd after a while. Not her! She has managed to reinvent herself as a speaker / op-ed columnist / self-appointed ambassador who goes to bat for the underdog. She writes well, looks good and is articulate. So what is my problem with her? Well, she epitomizes the extremely selfish, English speaking educated Indian. These people think that they can empathize with the aam aadmi. The truth is that their empathy for the poor is borne out a need for fame. Two years after winning the Booker, she essentially hijacked the Narmada Bachao Andolan from Medha Patkar (who will become a topic for another post someday). She wrote an essay on the Sardar Sarovar dam which was published by Outlook and Frontline. In words of Mr. Ramchandra Guha:“The anti-dam essay had its signs of self-absorption too. Its opening scene, of Ms. Roy laughing on the top of a hill, seemed a straight lift from the first lines of that monument to egotism, Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead. The essay was marked throughout by a conspicuous lack of proportion. To compare dams to nuclear weapons was absurd. To demonise technology was irresponsible.”
    “The most serious objections to the dam, on grounds of social justice, ecological prudence and economic efficiency, were lost in the presentation. What struck one most forcibly was her atavistic hatred of science and a romantic celebration of adivasi lifestyles.”

You can see how everything and everyone is just a tool towards sating her enormous ego. The chutzpah of this woman is astounding. She has this fetish for the adivasi lifestyle. She contributed to book called We Are One: A Celebration of Tribal Peoples. The proceeds for the book go to an international Tribal rights organization. She has become a spokesperson for Maoist terror which has become quite a leftist cause cé·lè·bre. She has called them Gandhians with guns. Chief Maoist terrorist Kishenji has said that he wants her to be an intermediary in their talks with the UPA government. Yet in her own life, she has built a house on tribal land in MP belonging to Vijay Singh Desh in Hoshangabad’s Pipariya district, 200 km from Bhopal. In word’s of Smt. Singh, “First, they constructed their houses on my land and then the road. When we pointed out that the place they were using for constructing their house and road was ours, they didn’t pay any attention because we are poor people,”.
    To point out her hypocrisy at this point would be superfluous.

She has written a lot on the J&K issue. One of her many offensive statement is as follows: “The Indian military occupation of Kashmir makes monsters of us all. It allows Hindu chauvinists to target and victimise Muslims in India by holding them hostage to the freedom struggle being waged by Muslims in Kashmir.”

In fact her rants became even too much for Congress whose spokesperson Manoj Tiwari said that Booker Prize winner Arundhati Roy who had issued a statement advocating freedom for Kashmir was a ‘loose cannon’ who had “abused the liberal traditions of India”, “It is a great tribute to the tolerance of India’s ethos that a person who openly calls for Balkanisation of country is not being locked up and the keys are not being thrown away,”.

She has adopted an anti-nuclear weapon stance. Noble indeed. No one can argue against peace. NO ONE. I agree with all her words on the perils of nuclear war. Yes humanity would be the loser. Shiny bombs in the larder sure do mock the empty stomachs. But to blindly accept all that would be to deny the reality like an ostrich. We live in a very bad neighborhood and she wants us to surrender our Rottweiler and the shotgun? Yes, the world would be a better place if nuclear weapons were to disappear completely. However, to give them up unilaterally would be to become a chew toy for the Pakistani and Chinese wolves. Moreover, her words against nuclear weapon ring hollow in face of her visit to and actions in Pakistan. She socialized with Hamid Gul who essentially is an enemy of everything civilized. She talked about siding with Pakistanis when Indians start the nuclear war. She constantly portrayed the Pakistanis as victims and Indians aggressors. With such thinly veiled anti Indian agenda, her credibility is greatly suspect.
    Of course the piece de resistance was her stand on the Mumbai attacks. I do agree with her that the Mumbai attacks became a much bigger deal because the victims were the rich and the prominent. If similar attacks had happened in shanty hotel in Lucknow, it would be as quickly forgotten as all the attacks by Islamic terrorists in India. That was the only thing that had any credibility. The rest of her stand betrayed her contempt for India. She joined the prominent Mumbai Congressman Abdul Rehman Antulay in blaming India and Indians for that attack. Antulay said it was the Hindu Zionists. She said that the jihadis who want to destroy India have good reason to do so. Ms. Tavleen Singh said : “The novelist (Ms. Singh did not want to use Roy;’s name lest it defiles the piece!!) is not alone in her hatred of all things Indian. Nearly every Indian writer who has written in the Western media since the attack on Mumbai has found reasons why the jihad against India is justified. Look at our ‘atrocities’ in Kashmir and look at what happened in Gujarat and what about the Babri Masjid. One British newspaper went so far as to say that India used 9/11 to treat its Muslims even worse than we did before. A Pakistani journalist to explain what happened in Mumbai used this editorial.

This is what Arundhati Roy is all about. Her ego is writing checks that the nation cannot afford to cash. She of course, is probably not as harmful as Teesta Setalvad because all we have to do is tune Roy out of our lives as I said in one of our earlier pieces. Yes, we should boycott TV stations and magazines which patronize this maniac.

Reply
  7. Gaurav

Now for those who don’t get rashes when they read the truth. It needs to be added that for obvious reasons the English media has completely over looked the fact that the arsonists and murderers of the innocent Hindu pilgrims (popularly called Muslim tea vendors or better still secular tea vendors for sake of clarity) were not able to digest the fact that Hindu women returning after visiting ‘Ram Lalla’ (as he is fondly addressed by devotees) were beaming with pride and some of them even had that serene look on their face the kind the Christian women have on their face after they are done with their morning prayers or Jews coming out of a synagogue. But no sooner did this become evident, then the Muslim men ordered a larger than normal glass of wine or was it petrol and the rest is history. The media and the government at the centre were livid on the other hand that why did the Gujrati men try to protect the women and why did they fight back, even today the journalists and editor and some officials of the government wake up dreaming that only if muslims had succeeded, by now Gujrat would have become Kashmir part 2. the secular government at the centre is at pains to explain to its muslim electorate that they had done their job by not moving a finger when muslim men attacked hindu pilgrims thus paving the way for a smooth transition of Gujrat on the lines of Kashmir, and they had no idea in hell how the hindu men suddenly were able to invoke their long lost right to live on this planet, suddenly years of propaganda in educating hindus that muslims have a right to kidnap, rape and burn hindu women became ineffective and came to naught
    The big question is why is all this coming up now… after so many years… the first thing is that one section of the government believes correctly that they have already alienated hindus so it does not matter if we alienate them more by indulging in cheap propaganda after all the government is absolutely confident about the stupidity of the hindu electorate and so they can do anything and get away with it. But is it the other section in the government and media that believes that they can remind hindus that the government is better at propaganda

Reply
  8. Gaurav

Arundhati roy fights to protect the dignity of remaining bengali hindu women in bangladesh who might be killed if she does not toe the line of LET, Al Qaida and other terrorist organisation, these people can continue to celebrate the roasting alive of hindu women and children and this is the reason why the riots happened in the first place, when people are denied justice they will take matters in their own hand. every single person who was guilty in gujrat riots was punished , be it hindu, muslims, man , women, politicians etc. and no one came to help even from congress ruled states like MP and Rajasthan.

Reply
  9. Gaurav

arundhati roy said 70000 kashmiri hindus were killed in name of democracy, does she think lying openly like this is going to help.

Reply
  10. Gaurav

the person who was raising his voice against the lies of arundhati was told to shut up by many non hindus in the audience. and all lies being propogated by arundhati roy.

Reply
  11. Gaurav

The mentality of self-proclaimed secularists is to keep the number of Muslims who killed Hindus in Godhra as low as possible and the number of Hindus killed in that train as low as possible. Alok Tiwari, a self-styled secularist editor of The Hitavada wrote: “Just because 56 Hindus were killed in Godhra doesn’t give them the license to kill Muslims in Gujarat…” Burkha Dutt of NDTV tried to keep the number of Hindus as low as possible in 2002 in one her talk shows she said: “The karsewaks killed in Godhra- what’s the number 53 or 57…” The correct number is 59, the numbers given by self-proclaimed secularists reveals their attitude, and that attitude is to keep the numbers of Hindus killed in Godhra as low as possible.

And many writers have simply written: “‘A mob’ killed karsewaks in Godhra” instead of saying openly “2000 Muslims killed karsewaks in Godhra”. Kuldip Nayar in one his columns in 2002 said: “500 Muslims attacked the train in Godhra”. Others said 1,000- some said 1,500. The actual number is 2,000 as mentioned by Vir Sanghvi in The Hindustan Times on 28 February 2002 and in the report of the Justice Tewatia Committee. The number is not all that important. But what it shows is the mentality of trying to reduce Islam’s guilt (The words ‘Islam’s guilt’ are used not to blame any religion but just as a description of deeds done by misguided followers) and Hindus’ suffering as much as possible.

Reply
  12. Gaurav

After every terrorist attack, the national English media rationalizes this deed on grounds of the ‘Gujarat riots’. The Gujarat riots were the result of the Godhra massacre.That the English media justified Godhra (as a response to the Ramjanmabhoomi movement in Ayodhya), did not justify or even rationalize the post-Godhra riots (which were the direct result of Godhra) where Muslims were killed and ignored the killings of the Hindus, and it tried to and tries to de-link post-Godhra and Godhra. And it rationalizes and/ or justifies the (so-called) ‘reaction’ to the post-Godhra riots. Belgium-based world-famous scholar Dr Koenraad Elst has written: “You wouldn’t guess it from their polished convent-school English, their trendy terminology, or their sanctimoniousness, but the likes of Romila Thapar, Irfan Habib or Gyanendra Pandey have blood on their hands. The wave of Muslim violence after the Ayodhya demolition (and the boomerang of police repression and Shiv Sena retaliation) was at least partly due to the disinformation by supposed experts who denied that the disputed building had a violent iconoclastic prehistory, and implied that Hindus can get away with concocted history in their attacks on innocent mosques. This disinformation gave Muslim militants the sense of justification needed to mount a “revenge” operation and to mobilize decent Muslims for acts of violence which they never would have committed if they had known the truth about Islam’s guilt in Ayodhya.”
    Similarly, had the Muslims known the truth of the Gujarat riots, the gruesome roasting of 59 Hindus in Godhra including 25 women and 15 children, and the fact that even after Godhra, hundreds of Hindus were killed and 40,000 Hindus thrown out of their homes, the sense of infuriation in Muslims would never have been there. Hence the Indian media, politicians and ‘secularist’ intellectuals truly have blood on their hands.

Reply
  13. Gaurav

They say truth is the first casualty of the war. Our media claimed Gujarat was different because it was the first time riots were on camera and on TV. That is only half the truth. The other half is that this is the first time a great campaign of lies and untruths was carried out by the media for political ends and sustained for the better part of a decade. Now the lies and the liars are falling apart. But brace yourselves – the ‘Hang-Modi’ weekend has just started and expect some new concoction to be served.

Reply
  14. Gaurav

Hindustan Times also published the transcripts of Modi’s deposition with the SIT in March 2010. That document contains all the responses of Modi to the questions raised by the SIT. None of the MSM appears to want to discuss or debate that. TV channels have been quiet on that front. The reason is pretty obvious. The answers contain many facts which were so far conveniently hidden from the public. That Modi had appointed Congress leaders to watchdog committees after the riots must come as revelation to the public. The number of times he had appealed for peace and called for the army in time is all facts that were twisted by the media. Having failed to politically or legally hang Modi the media crooks started a weird campaign seeking an apology.

What to expect? Well, I think one can also expect a special bout of ‘We the poodles’ by Barkha Dutt with the usual peddlers of the drug called ‘untruth’ on Sunday, February 26 or a special programme of some kind. After all, she and Rajdeep were the ones who fuelled the spectacular anti-Modi campaign which provided refuge for all kinds of liars. Arundhati Roy has more or less disappeared from her campaign of lies. Teesta and Sanjiv Bhatt are struggling to keep untruths alive. Vir Sanghvi has been mass-murdered by Radia. Barkha has been tainted by Radiagate, Barkhagate, Barkhabarks, shoddy 26/11. Barkha has now been reduced to a sorry mouthpiece of the Congress party and the Hurriyat (As Swapan Dasgupta jokes). To her credit she did manage to improve her wardrobe during this time though. Rajdeep, apart from Cash4Votes also got trashed for the fraudulent telecast of Sri Sri debate by his wife. Rajdeep has already announced a programme ‘Revisiting Gujarat and If Gujarat has moved on’ on CNN-IBN for the weekend. Expect another round of selective story-telling by him. And yes, Rajdeep will actually CRY!

Reply
  15. Gaurav

Let’s go back to September 12, 2011 when the Supreme Court returned the Zakia Jafri case to the lower court. Here’s how one politician still holding Modi criminally responsible for the riots responded: Sitaram Yechury of CPM stated that it does not absolve Modi of the “communal ri…” and then he paused, thought for a second and said “communal pogrom”. That is one of the major lies that was being spread. 790 muslims and 254 hindus were killed in the riots; far from features you would associate with a pogrom. The communal riots were terrible but creating a political agenda out of them is just as bad. The second big lie were the numbers themselves. All the reporters and political activists like Barkha Dutt, Rajdeep Sardesai, Vir Sanghvi, Teesta Setalvad, Shabnam Hashmi, Sanjiv Bhatt, Arundhati Roy, Harsh Mandar and many more have consistently fabricated the numbers killed between 2000-3000. Some still and will continue to do so.

What to expect? Well, one of the reporters who was instrumental in spreading untruths about the riots, Rajdeep Sardesai, is already off the block with a blogpost “Modi’s ‘Sadbhavana’ and the horror of 2002″ on February 24 and he wonders if there’s closure and if Gujarat has moved on. Rajdeep continues the same refrain from the past of how muslims have become second class citizens in Gujarat. There is a major change though. In his post he doesn’t use the word “Guilty” for Modi and he doesn’t use the term “mass murderer” which he had frequently borrowed from his HT colleague Vir Sanghvi. But well, old habits die hard so Rajdeep does start his post with a lie: “Has Gujarat really moved on ten years after the terrible violence of 2002? The answer depends on who the question is asked to. Chief minister Narendra Modi, for example, claims to have moved on to the point where he refuses to take questions on the past”. Well, during the Sadbhavna mission in September 2011 Modi did speak to a lot of reporters including on the topic of the riots. T.M. Veeraraghav of Rajdeep’s CNN-IBN also got an interview with Modi. So you can expect Rajdeep to use newer, different lies to promote his sentimental clap-trap.

Fast off the block from Hindustan Times (whose former editor could have been in jail for slandering Modi as a “mass-murderer”) is another opinion from Shiv Vishwanathan. Like Rajdeep, he too, starts off with a bang and it’s pretty easy to miss his gentle twist. He states: “In recent times, we had a Special Investigation Team report into the Gujarat riots that claimed that Narendra Modi was not guilty of the riots. If the media were to be believed, the way is now clear for the BJP to anoint him unofficially as prime minister”. This when the SIT report is not even officially released. But that is not the point. The wording of Shiv’s line is “SIT CLAIMED”. Haha! SIT claimed? One should remember that the SIT is an investigative body appointed by the SC and they don’t make claims. They just submit reports on whether they have found evidence to prosecute someone. Claims are usually made by opinionated columnists or TV panelists. For them, unless some legal body or court finds Modi guilty everything is just a “claim”.

Reply
  16. Rinchu

Well, I am not surprised at her reply… I applaud the man who questioned her… Prior to the 2002 Godra episode, I realy liked her as an creative writer and even loved her book ‘The God of Small Things’… But now it Seems like she is so stuck up with Godra… Why has she not said or written or even mentioned anything about the Mussafarnagar riots, the Sikh riots, the Singur riots? All her talks outside of India are based on Godra and how the Muslims were killed, raped, burnt… What about the Hindus? What about those Hindus who were raped, killed, tortured? I would have had some respect for her had she tried to show both the sides… But she only focuses on one side of the story.. Just because that’s what the world wants to hear, that’s what the world funds her for, and that’s what makes an exciting emotional piece…

Reply
  17. priya

More than Arundhati Roy, the people commenting below this video are giving me goosebumps. I am stunned to see the hatred among them for different religion. What the hell religion has given you? You are talking about Hindus, have you ever seen what extremities Hindus have done to their own brothers and sisters on the name of the caste? Please guys, grow up, someday you might fall in love with a girl who is a Muslim. Leave the politicians, let them do what they are doing. Ask yourself what you are doing. There are stupid people in every religion who just get aggressive on anything, even on a thought of Arundhati Roy. Don’t be one of them. you people are no different than any stupid person among Muslims or Christians.

Reply
  18. shreyash

clearly her intention was to prove the man wrong!! She was trying to gain appreciation from a crowd that had no Indians, a crowd of people who have no clue about our country.. Disrespecting a fellow indian, creating a mockery.. that is so freakin colonial..

Reply
  19. shreyash

SHE NEEDS TO LIVE IN A SETTING SIMILAR TO GUJARAT BEFORE THE RIOTS HAPPENED.. Mob has no face!! There is no proof that these mobs were not of Shia’s and Sunni’s. Please look into these complex situations on a micro level.. In Muslim Dominated cities like Lucknow there are fatal clashes between the sects of islam. Please watch Gangs of Wasseypur you can know what ego exists between the muslims. She may be a great writer or orator but the fact remains she is not a good researcher. Please note the fact that writers for commercial success intentionally manipulate reality, creating a spark for debate.

Reply
  20. V

I don’t know why people of India tolerate her. She has clear anti-nationalistic agendas. She is a Hindu turned christian, and has been getting funds from all kinds of foreign anti Hindu and anti India organizations. She gives speeches outside of India that are full of hate towards government and India’s integrity and claim over J&K, which is by the way an integral part of India. And not even in dreams could any Indian see J&K getting separated from India. High time that Modi government does something about such anti nationalist elements.

Reply
  21. pramod

Muslim community is always the one who starts the violence ,and when others retaliates ,then they try to pretend like a victim . India is still a peaceful country only because Hindus are in majority here, the day when Muslim will become a majority then wipe out all the Hindus ,just like what we have seen in Kashmir ,what they have done there and still why Arundhati is ignoring the genocide done by them . Now If she want to hate India because Hindus are peaceful then she can, but when she starts hating Muslim for their violence ,then she would realized that she had come up with hatred towards all Muslim community all across the globe ,because they are doing same in every country where ever they are living.

Reply
  22. Ayush Kaushik

It could have been better. I was expecting too much from her. But then her vision is nebulous for she never change her vision lens.

Reply
  23. Vijay Naikodi

YKA…u have built a good reputation among Youth…dont screw it up with crappy pieces like this!!!!

Reply
  24. GirirajPratap

I think Ms Arandhuti forgot to mention about that MLA, that he came down with a revolver in his hand and instigated mob. Thats it. Lets not miss the actual point.

Reply
  25. jay singh

the people like with your thought creating problem in india. congress is doing same thing. if parents favour one child and neglect the other one. what would happen? hindus are the most kind people in the world. some unstable countris ask the united nation to deploy only indian army.

Reply
  26. vishalbheeroo

A brilliant and fitting answer by Arudhati Roy. There are some crimes that we cannot turn the pages to or else history will condemn us as a nation who let crime happened and the criminals/rapists going scot free.

Reply
  27. Lakshya Joshi

It didn’t give me goosebumps,but made me more confused.
    She is a still anti- India as before and comparable to likes of Prashant Bhushan

Reply
  28. Vivek

Jaffri called her after calling Sonia Gandhi before he was hacked to death :D, Congress my have found an opportunity to get rid of him since he called Sonia Gandhi!. what actions were taken by Sonia Gandhi? :D

Reply
  29. Vivek

its odd that she only picks 2002 not the sikh riots not the Assam riots not the N number of bomblasts orchestrated by the muslim community… Does not talk about the Muslim terrorism in J&K. She does not talk about the train burning that lead to the 2002 riots!… She is a congress mouth piece

Reply
    • Girija Narain

I agree every time one brings up the horrors of the 2002 Gujrat Riots at least one more person is influenced by such hatred. Hindus have already faced the consequences of this antagonism in the numerous serial bombings in various cities. Time to stop raking up the past and strive for a better tomorrow.

Reply
      • priya

If my mother was killed by a person, and the person who defended the killer, gave him protection, changed judges for him, I can’t forgive him and move on. Can you ? If you can, then we need people like you in the politics who can move on and don’t provoke Hindus about taking revenge.
        Please watch You tube and listen to Babu Bajrangi’s sting.

• Gaurav

and I cannot forget the genocide of hindus and ongoing violence agianst hindus either

30. anvith

well nobody has read her works in India and she was against India being a nuclear power I don’t understand what problem you people have with MODI and moreover do you people think SIT and Supreme court both were fools to give him clean chit I am starting to have allergy with this sick secular nonsense has he ever uttered a single word against Muslims godhra riots bull shit if MODI is wrong and you disobey the sit verdict then I firmly believe that minorities have burnt the train

Reply
    • Prasanna Sreedharan

Interesting! You firmly believe that minorities burnt the train. I am sure you would continue believing this even if a Special Investigation Team and/or the Supreme Court came to a different conclusion.

Reply
      • Vivek

And you believe the minority community did not do it even if we catch a million terrorists from the minority community! Take a step back and look around the entire world and you will notice most of the extremist activities is by Muslims

• Rajeeb MK

There were conducted two judicial inquiry to the Ghodra train attack. Banarjee commission (appointed by Indian railway ) Nanavathi commission (appointed by Gujarath ministry).

Banarjiee commission reported that there were no deliberate attempt behind the firing of train and fire took place from inside the train. while Nanavathi commision ,which appointed by Gujarath ministry, reported that the train attacked by mass. Nanavathi commission’s credibility questioned by the Tehalka’s sting operation.

But the riot could not justify by whatever the fact behind the Ghodra incident. The Government, by all its machinery, supported the mass killing. It worst our nations prestige in the world.

There are minority community in every nations in the world. If all the nations government practices as Gujarath government, the world become a globe, which is not suitable for mankind.

Reply
    • ajmal

so if gujarath riots leads to any other mass lillings of karsevaks will that b justified?????

Reply
    • priya

And i think you people forget what Kar sevaks were doing, where they were coming from, what was their intentions.

Reply
  31. Mopuru Sriharsha

What ever she s saying is absolutely true.So what is the point in crying over the spilt milk and keep abusing our democracy,politics etc etc and do nothing.When something bad happens,we should not stop with just finding the causes for that and blame whoever is responsible for that.We need to find solutions to the problems and act accordingly.Its very easy for someone to sit in some costly conference room and just make comments on Indian democracy. Iam not telling Indian is the best and the greatest country.India like any other country have its own problems and issues which needs to be solved.These problems can be solved when approached with empathy rather than hostility.

Reply
    • sammy

yeah right, its very true, she’s not just sitting in an air conditioned conference room and complaining, she’s telling what she has faced in her life…….Probably, you’re one of those who was born with a golden spoon in your mouth, whose father owns a lot of black money and therefore have no remorse feeling….this country is a piece of shit, where we find educated illeterates, people with no backbone……..I curse this country with my whole heart, that there should be some kind of a natural calamity because of which entire country should become a history…..we do not need a country like India in the world map…….India sucks in every bit……………

Reply
      • mopuru

I can understand your anger,but there is as much hatred in your words as there is in people who participate in riots. Hatred is very destructive my friend. Its a cycle which keeps changing its form and disturb the peace. All iam saying is to break this cycle of hatred as its not going to help in any way,infact it brings more damage to self than to others. Iam not here to argue about Ms.Roy or Gujarat riots,Iam just telling India has seen enough hatred. If you want want stick with the past and just cry over the spilt milk,you can.If a person/nation is ill,he needs treatment, not punishment. I beleive in peace,both physical and verbal. Hope you will understand this someday.

P.S: Iam from a middle class family

• priya

Have you ? what did you do in your whole life?

secondly, its very important to have people in democracy who can keep a check on the government, anything wrong happening. This can be done sitting in a air conditioned room also. Its important otherwise people who are sitting on the top in politics are humans only and they will do whatever they want to do, why would they think about you mister?

When you talk about Team India’s performance in Cricket and that too sitting in an air conditioned room, you have full right to criticize them, praise them. Don’t change the meaning of freedom of speech in a democracy.

32. sukhinder

To my Knowledge the person who asked the question roughly translates as “Why you talk against India is it because, it has given you the right to expression,tell me few good things you like about India-Hence was asking her why she hate india”,Indirectly he was pointing to her here past remarks on Kashmir and other minority outrages which really are like a blot on the biggest democracy, and her answer was totally not to the point she was just wandering here and there not coming to the point.The answer really did not give me goose bums rather her way of expression and appearance gave me an impression just to listen to her.

I rather feel that she should come up with a book what she really feels about India and democracy and should explain all her views through her words not just going on television and speaking some things like this on the international soils which give a kind of bad impression of this country with as many as 20crore Muslims population(Nearly equal to Bangladesh, Pakistan and,many other the Islamic states) living more peacefully enjoying all the the rights equally.

These days the word secular has become more of fashion kind of thing where people are holding on to it for some or the other reason.We Indians are secular for centuries we lived with the other religions and allowed them to live with us rule us for centuries.If u observe our preamble had no secular word initially it was put in with the 42nd amendment which clearly shows that secularism was a part of our normal living by nature.And our history before 1940’s gives a proof of that. We never invaded any country in the lines of religion since ours was not a religion it was just a way of living with the traditions passed on by our forefathers.

I feel that she rather should concentrate on her literary works and gives her critics answers thought her writings, rather than giving vague interviews just like Ram gopal varma, who comes up with some or the other issue to promote his movies.

FINALLY

NO GOOSE BUMS NOTHING! ITS JUST GIVING THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITIES SOME HAND PICKED INCIDENTS AND SHOW THE THEM THAT MINORITIES ARE SUFFERING THE MOST IN CONTRARY THEY ARE LIVING IN 100 % SECURITY AND PEACE COMPARED TO MANY MUSLIM NATIONS IN ASIA AND WEST ASIA

NOTE : YKA PLEASE DON’T POST SUCH WASTE CLIPPINGS IN YOUR POSTINGS

Reply
  33. Mithya

When the world woke up to the horrors of cold war, and the atrocities committed upon its own people by the great hero of the communists, Stalin, the ‘intellectuals” still refused to admit the follies of this great hero. Communists everywhere else in the world tried to hide it, scrub it and coat it by declaring it a machination of capitalist forces. They went in droves to Kremlin, but came back dejected. The great communist utopia was shattered into pieces. Albeit, one thing happened, the ideology lost its sheen but the language remained. We often see progressives bereft of any individual imagination, often use the language of Marx to present their arguments. Such is the case of Arundhati! And, might I also add that such is also the case of “progressives” and “intellectuals” mimicking their great leaders. They are not worthy of being called intellectuals. A true intellectual is not thrilled by pleasing the crowd or the people. He/she makes his audience look inwards. Both the systems capitalism and Marxism view the world in shades of black and white. They need to realise that there are always shades of grey. What the gentleman in the video said, and where everybody laughed is also emblematic of a climate of political correctness. Such one sided passionate speeches can get you plenty of likes and views on Facebook and Youtube, but the nuance is missing. I honestly feel that magazines such as YKA need to have a more refined and intelligent editorial team.

Reply
  34. Ann Malik

Arundhati Roy is as bad a spokesperson as she is a writer. None of her comments are either cohesive or to the point. It sucks.

Reply
  35. Shubh

I don’t know “Why all great Secular go to US and UK and vomit poison against India?”. If it is issue of my home, it should be clear inside my home only and not on open Market. And why only US and UK, there are more than 200 other countries in this world
    If anyone help me to understand that would be great

Reply
  36. Shubh JhaShubh

I am confused, is she writer or Congress spokesman or leader of Indian so called secularist leader who can only speak against hindu

Riots are always bad…it is extreme representation of hatred, principally provoked by political party for some silly political benefits (specially in India). but we should not forget there were riots before 2002 and after 2002
    Even I agree Govt has role in 2002 riots in Gujrat, but there is no riot after that where Gujrat is being governed by BJP. But in other state like UP which is governed by our great secular party like BSP and SP, many riots occurred.
    Now its your decision, what you want…
    And for Mrs Roy, thanks to India and its population where you speak anything and everything…if you are in USA, China, Russia or any good country…then you will only speak what your government will say you.

Reply
    • Ravi Kumar

She is still speaking on behalf of the government,if you know what I meant ;)

Reply
  37. Aastha Shad

I’m being completely liberal and rational when I say this, that I can’t decipher which part of her answer was *clapworthy* While I don’t support the man’s naive remarks, I don’t think her response was a GREAT reply so to say. She speaks strongly about ONE n only one subject no matter what the question is. That point of ‘Muslim killings’ was unnecessary. Her opinions have no backing either. If she realizes she’s such an influential speaker that caters to such a large audience, she needs to place her comments more strategically instead of throwing casual statements like, “people said that it was a campaign by the CM to attract Hindu voters” Which people are we speaking of? How does this minute long monologue prove she loves India?” She loves the country for the rivers, mountains and music? She wants to preserve the beauty. AMUSING. Her lack of spontaneous damage control and intense vulnerability amuse me and so do the people’s reaction to it.

Reply
  38. Madhuri

THis talk some how reminds us once again about the brutality of the 2002 Gujrat riots ,,hope it never ever happens again

Reply
  39. Mohinder

Every coin has two sides. I would like Arundati Roy try seeing other side. Why don’t you think about the time when a complete train was burnt?
    Its just a one-side view that you explained. Try to widen your view.

Reply
  40. Anirvan S

To the pseudo-secular… you people are truly losers. Arundhati Roy may be a literary genius but she’s in no way a patriot. People like her and you only knows how to criticize the the reaction without giving any attention to address the action which provoked it in first place. Now, this woman here says that “look at Gujarat, look at the rapes and the killing and Ehsan Jaffrey”. I agree that what happened there with the Muslims was a disaster for Indian democracy, a blot on our history. But in the same breath, Gujarati Hindus have a very long history themselves of enduring Muslim attacks and torture…starting right from Somanth sacking right down to Ayodhya express burning. Now, has Arundhati Roy ever came out apologizing for what happened in the Godhra? I know, one should not hold grudge. But then blatantly forgetting an injury to majority’s psyche is a thing that PSEUDO-SECULARIST are extremely fond of doing. That gives them name and a status of being pro-minority. But the fact is these are the people who are driving a wedge between different communities. As for the Muslim sense of superiority, I would suggest PSEUDO-SECULAR and Arundhati Roy to go through “Tinderbox” by M.J.Akbar once… the reason of every conflict will become clear.

As far as Kashmir issue is concerned, I think Arundhati Roy is very right in leaving it alone. Its because she doesn’t understand it. Kashmir’s history is complexly secular, made simple by cross-border infiltration by Pakistan…starting from the Afridi and Mehsud tribal movements of October-November 1947. We are indeed a blessed lot, we Indians. We have neighbors who are hell-bent on destroying us because their very existence depends on hostility with us and we have citizens who do politics in the garb of secularism and equality without a two-hoot understanding of the subcontinental history.

Akbar was a great emperor…why? He fed the ego of the minority, who at that time were rulers, and soothed the ego of majority by himself following and advocating its customs. This is called balancing…

But in today’s scenario…can this balancing be achieved? Yes… but not by feeding the minority ego. No, they aren’t the rulers anymore. The moment they accept this, they will fit in… it’s not about being religiously different, nobody cares in today’s world whether you go to a Mandir or Mazjid or do not go to any place at all. We only care about living out our duration of lives peacefully. We care about studying properly in a westernized manner… the Majority (aam admi) doesn’t give s*** to what is being palnned by the daily policy makers in the Legislative assemblies and Parliaments.

And about rapes and murders… it’s a bloody joke that majority is persecuting minority with a propaganda. It was a reaction… a display of pent-up anger.

Arundhati Roy and the pseudo-secular should have been born in the during the time of Partition, preferably in East Bengal or West Punjab. They would have understood the term “Muslim superiority complex” and “propaganda-killing” then.

Sadly, what majorities want the minorities is to be like themselves… live your life and do not go for a higher motivation. That’s been a Hindu psyche since Maurya days. Otherwise we would have still been ruling Afghanistan, Pakistan and eastern/southern Iran… And there would not have been the problem of communalism, because ther WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ANY MUSLIMS IN INDIA.

Read the history and social science first… Arundhati and Pseudo-seculars… then come and talk.

Reply
    • Adil Malik

So essentially what you are trying to say here is what happened in Gujrat with the Muslims was not ringht, but “in the same breath” was long coming because of what someone else had done back in the past!?..are you seriously retarded!!..If you haven’t realised by now, unlike the past we are currently living in a secular democratic state.
      What happened in Somnath was carried out by Sultan Mahmud, I am pretty sure he wasn’t aware of terms like “Democracy” or “secularism” back then, he was a mad king on a raid. There was no constitution or law, but on the other hand in 2002 we had the Indian constitution which clearly states the it is in the hands of the state to protect its people from unlawful acts. So please do not even minutely try to justify the atrocities that occurred in Gujrat. Now as far as your theory about “pseudo seculars” is concerned, I just find it completely idiotic to point actually where it even makes me tickle a bit on your shear stupidity and misconceptions about stuff.
      Firstly since when did being secular become a “cool” thing so much so that one would intentionally force ones self against ones own will to be “pro minorities”. Why would someone do that…hmm…. unless….wait a second… …THEY ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT WHAT IS HAPPENING IS UNJUST!!!…..

Instead of reasoning on such things and adding fuel to the fire if only people would have put some effort on making sure that such things would not happen then we would would not have had a Gujrat 2002. Sadly people like you still exist and they will no matter what one does

You extremists make me sick, and when I say extremist I mean fron ALL the religions.

Reply
      • Anirvan S

Like what I expressed in the above view-point, you expertly read-up only parts of the passage, and then added your strong worded comment using “hip” words like “stupid…idiotic…make me sick” and OH!… the most favored designation labelled on anyone who doesn’t agrees with your view point… EXTREMIST. Now, that simply proves my whole point of you people having a selective reading capability (you only accept those points that favors your point of view). Isn’t it, my moron? Allow me…it’s people like you who is making this whole country sick!!

As you have repeatedly used strong words, like “stupid” and “idiotic”… I find my stand vindicated. Another of my minority brother who actually thinks that he is being subjected to injustice in day-to-day life in India. Read carefully, before you judge… in the lines of what has been told to you so far. Nobody is against you… no religion, no majority, no minority. Nobody, but yourselves…your own ignorance to modern education and ways of life, your own strict view point towards world (which is based on a two-thousand year old scripture, which you, instead of understanding in philosophical way, mug-up as if it were a guide to day-to-day life!!), your own denial to the fact that India isn’t ruled by Islamic ruler anymore. But sadly, people like you, Pseudo-secular and Arundhati Roy, still believe that.

If you go through your own history, you are, in fact, against everyone. Now what Sultan Mahmud did was indeed out of control… but why did Godhra train burning took place? And why is 26/11 happened? And why does attack on parliament happens? And why was there a ethnic cleansing in Kashmir? And why was it that during Partition villages after villages (read up on Noakhali) were erased off the face of earth?

Leave all those… why were Bengali Muslims slaughtered in the name of nationalism? Why are thousand of Shias and Ahmediya being killed around the world every day?

You may say that last of those didn’t even happened in India… but that does through light towards the very first point. A superiority complex of Sunnis…

Who is justifying Gujarat, by the way? I was pointing out the point were the term “fashionable secularism” has brought the ego of the Muslims in India today. Hang Modi… Shoot the man. He is just as responsible (along with his fundamentalist ass-kissers) in creating this mess as has been those who burned the Ayodhya Express. But does that happen in India?

But wait a minute…why is that whenever Gujarat riot is discussed no “majority” ever brings up Godhra train burning? May that’s because…hmm… because “forward” Muslims like you had made a joke out of the historical religious pogroms that have been carried out against the majorities. You won’t accept that if such kind of atrocious acts (read, a burning a train compartment full of passengers) is carried out today… may be there’s a constitution and a police force, but repercussions will take place. Because, as you have pointed out… its not an Era of Mad (Muslim) king. I understand that… do you?

Gujarat happened (or rather started) due a miscalculated show of angry power by a mob, motivated on the words of religious leaders. And if you ask. what about Ayodhya, it again brings up likes of Mahmud Sultan and Zahiriddin Babur!! So you see, not accepting and learning from history is the true color of morons like you. Its not rationality that adds fuel to fire, my moron, its the irrationality that’s the fuel and fire both. Nobody is supreme, no religion, no holy scripture, no religious ideals, no way of life… get this straight. And what happened in Gujarat is condemnable, but the whole of it…not the part truth as expressed by Arundhati Roy here. And what about you?

Live and let live, Adil, in a civilized and modern way. Go to school and to then to a proper library (not the Urdu one’s with only Islamic history to read up)… These PSEUDO-SECULARS do not care about minority or majority. All they care about how they will sell there award winning books and how they will represent themselves to the Politically correct west, because there’s where the money lies.

Nobody is extremist here…and make it damn sure to register it inside that your thickened skull of yours. If you (or for that matter, other wannabe heroes and champions) want to abuse me… first read up. Get your fact straight, do not come with lines like that of Arundhati Roy… I m not a right-winger with a domineering mentality who is gonna buckle up. I am a normal Indian who just wants to live happily in his country…because, like you, I have nowhere else to go!! And that is becoming impossible day by day because of misunderstanding being spread… and those already in place.

And to end this, people like you just make me cry, I feel pity for your ignorance… Let go of your identity for once (most of the majorities did that)… and just try to live like an Indian. You will understand what I said..,.

• Veer Subhash

Dear @Anivaran,

Just loved every word of yours.
        “am a normal Indian who just wants to live happily in his country…because, like you, I have nowhere else to go!! And that is becoming impossible day by day because of misunderstanding being spread… and those already in place.” indeed well said..

Our country desperately needs people like you who can clear the hatred filled in the mind of its residents.

I highly recommend you to write an article in itself and send for publishing here.

• Aastha Shad

Anirvan I wish I could give you a standing ovation for your reply to Mr Malik who had already framed half of his reply after reading the first couple of lines of every para and then typed a cool sounding reply without understanding the ‘point’! I agree with you on each and every aspect of of your response.

• Prasanna Sreedharan

Very interesting suggestion about asking others to let go of their identity. Try practicing it by letting go of your nationalist identity

The person who replied to you actually made a very valid point. He lives in a modern society and so is judging things from that perspective. According to your anachronistic morals, I can justify stealing candy from a kid because of some event in the Neanderthal past.

Bengali Muslims were not slaughtered in the name of Nationalism. Nationalism is only a proxy for vested interests to push through their agenda. Some use secular nationalism to achieve this and competing criminals use religious nationalism.

The answer to pseudo-secularism is not the abandonment of secularism. For example, if you are prescribed a harmful medicine by a quack the solution is not to abandon healthcare altogether. You can do so at the peril of your own health but surely spare others from such a public policy.

If possible try to get something rational through my thick skull

• Anirvan S

. Mr. Sreedharan, why are you talking about “nationalist identity”? To let go of national identity is akin to declaring yourself as a “bastard”. Where are you from, by the way? US? No one would be letting go of what country they belong from.
        What I was talking here was about religious identity. I can fairly assume that you have let go of it. Most of the minorities in India have not. Why? Trying reading TINDERBOX by M.J.Akbar.
        Now to your second point…living in present doesn’t imply that we should stop leaning from history. Religious persecution have been taking place in India since 800 A.D. to as latest as 1947, I would hardly call it Neanderthal. Even today, Terrorist organizations are able to recruit Indian Muslims on the name of Islam, and during their training, they are taught QURAN, which preaches for religious superiority of Islam. As with Muslims…whenever a blow is dealt to the psyche of Hindus, it easy for them to be recruited in a fashion not very different from those of other terrorists organizations. But to blame a whole nation for being full of terrorist, that’s where pseudo-secularist mentality comes in.
        And mind it, it’s not taking a candy; it’s burning down a bogey-full of passengers because of their religious identity. I agree the government should have been held responsible for what happened subsequently. But to discount the fact that was a triggering point altogether, that’s stupidity. It will only invite future communal tensions… But what is this have to do with what Ms. Roy is saying? She is generalizing Hindus without taking into consideration what happened too them in past. That’s pseudo-secularism…

Instead of questioning my morals, try questioning the mentality behind the “religious superiority” as preached by monotheist religions. Doesn’t that contradicts the very “modern outlook” that you are trying to project? Isn’t that in itself an archaic concept? Modern society is a myth when most of the minorities are trying to live by codes prescribed in books more than 2000 years old.
        I agree that Bengali Muslims were not slaughtered in the name of nationalism. Bengalis protested against the subversion to Urdu, Farsi and Arabic. For that they were killed irrespective of their religious identity. Same goes with Shias, Ahmediyas and Azerbaijanis. They are being targeted because they do not follow the exact tenets as the Sunnis do…or they do not want to let go of their regional identity. It shows intolerance.
        Gujarat carnage happened because the same intolerance triggered it. But unlike the above examples, where the religious minorities were targeted, here it was the majority. And consequently, there were the repercussions. There always will be… But won’t it be rational to question the inability of the government to prevent the reaction as well as the action? Here is where pseudo-seculars say that any action was non-existent, and that infuriates the majority. And here where we should learn from history. Because in the past, as the noble class belong to Muslim community…any reaction was not possible to their incessant actions. And they have got used to it…at least the extremist “Ulema” class has. It’s still their historical perspective that “Muslim Personal Law” exist in India.
        Nationalism is essential for continued identity of any country, so please do not question it. It is an identity transgressing any and all religious identities. As far as secular nationalism is concerned, what is being practised today is minority-appeasement instead of equality for all.
        You refer to religious nationalism… that is for Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Lebanon… hell, there is a full-fledged Organization of Islamic Countries!! That is called religious nationalism; not a BJP, or RSS trying to project themselves as saviour of the Hindu Interest. Bhagawad Gita is the holiest book of Hindu, still it is not mandatory way of life, and it’s more of a philosophical treaty than a religious one. Most of the Hindu follow neither of the above.
        And you do realise that I am not suggesting you to stop going to a qualified doctor for your “syphilis” treatment. I am suggesting you to stop prescribing yourself any medication. There are no quacks here. Quack literally means one who does not know… pseudo-secularists are, on other hand, are highly literate, only in the wrong stream. DO NOT think that you understand sociology, group psychology or religious politics just because you are literate enough to write computer codes.
        As far your thick skull is concerned, I have no inclination to get anything past that, rational or irrational. Pseudo-secularism is an understatement for over-understanding something that is simple.
        No one should be fighting over religion. Not now, not ever…
        Politics thrive on the mentality of present. They learn from the past and then predict the future reaction. That’s how they control us.
        Pseudo-secularism rises when people like Ms. Arundhati Roy tries to find publicity opportunity in unfortunate incidences like Gujarat riots and that too amongst the westerners who does not, literally, give a shit about the human right condition of India other that using it in their own interest.
        People like you have to understand that everyone should be treated equally…and nobody need to be supported, least of all a strong psyched religious as Islam.

• chaituplay

no Adil, I don’t think he is retarded. He is essentially saying that what happened to Hindus in Gujarat is also bad, like burning the train at godra, remember, just before the riot. In fact this started the riot, if I not wrong. May be if you to did not think he was retarder, you would have understood, he wasnt talking of Sultan Mahmud. He was more into the godhra train burning. Don’t you think every one who talks about Gujarat should condemn the burning of the train and the riot that ensued in the same breath??

• priya

Are you out of your mind. We are talking about India, a free country, a democracy. And you are talking about the 16th century.

Reply
  41. Nikita

For all those talking about Arundhati Roy making India seem bad at International level..work hard and reach that level so that your opinions do matter !

The actual problem is this..we are not willing to accept our flaws..how can we ever overcome it. I completely agree with her.There have been countries like USA who have been using kashmir issue for their own benefits. We need to give them the same rights, Kashmiris are Indians too ! why do they need to fight for their lives each day..

Reply
  42. Supriyo Chaudhuri

I am sad and sorry to read the comments here, hence writing. The Indian reaction to any criticism is worse than the Chinese: Anyone dares to speak about the 2000 dead in Gujrat is immediately castigated as someone who hates India. India remains one of the poorest countries in the world where the situation of the poor is getting worse and not better, for all the talk of progress, minorities are being trampled and as Ms Roy said, the elite and the state are so hand in gloves with each other, that anything said against this elite rule is construed to be spoken against the country. (Or deliberately presented to be so)

Reply
    • Ashwin

With all the follies that we have in a notion called India, including minority abuse / appeasement (the way you see it), increase in poverty, curruption etc… (the list is very long). Please tell us what have Arundhati Roy or great thinkers like her have done at ground level to actually address these problems. They have just one agenda that is to display India in bad light in front of international community. It is far far easy to give a presentation about environment than to actually plant a tree.

Reply
  43. Veer Subhash

When the person asking question is saying something good about our country, in the audience lots of people are giggling. Its disgusting.
    I dare challenge all of them if they can come out a single instance from the world over, not just present but in the entire course of human history, to match the example he gave i.e. when the top 3 offices in a country were all occupied by Minorities ( President, PM, Party chief) where majority are in 80%.

And is YKA publicly endorsing the ideology of Arundhati Roy.

Arundhati Roy is as much, if not more, of an extremist ideology, as say an opposite of her like RSS chief. Her views are far stretched. Full of half truths and lack transparency.

Will YKA also publish an RSS chief’s video tomorrow.

I really dont understand what kind of editorial team you have created which has given green signal to show casing hatred filled videos.

Reply
    • Nix

I didn’t find a single thing hateful in her speech. About time you get a dictionary?

Employing ministers from minorities doesn’t negate the fact that riots happened. That doesn’t make us secular either, if that’s what’s being implied. People like her are raising voices because they’re witnessing the atrocities while rest of choose to comfortably sit and enjoy the carnival of a democracy we’ve organized in India.

Reply
      • Aastha Shad

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but isn’t the title of your post ‘endorsing an ideology’?
        “Someone Asked This Woman Why She Hates India, Her Reasons For Loving It Will Give You Goosebumps” unless her response gave you goosebumps because it was an absolutely irrelevant reply and you were shocked at her dumbness, I think it was ‘suggestive’ enough!
        I have mentioned this earlier on a post on your facebook page that Maybe ‘Youth Ki Awaaz’ should rename itself as ‘The voice of the Anti-Modi’. With a pseudo intellectual youth like ours and ‘pure thinkers’, forcing your opinions on the youth/audience with such biased articles/posts isn’t going to get you anywhere except create a new breed of blind followers that handicap any scope of constructive change. Pure news, lays out ‘Facts’, not opinions! The greatest flaw in journalism is ‘suggestion’. Start by stopping THAT .Let ‘us’, the youth, decide what we feel about a certain something. Let ‘us’ decide whether Arundhati Roy’s response was even clap worthy, which in my personal opinion it wasn’t & let ‘us’ decide whether the judiciary needs a ‘black day’, DON’T question the competency of the Indian Judiciary on behalf of the ‘youth’ No, we all don’t agree with you! I would be completely dimwitted if I agreed with YKA’s statement that ‘you’re not endorsing any ideology. I mean, that statement is as false as it could possibly be!

• Anshul Tewari

Aastha, just a clarification, we’re NOT a journalism platform, and are an opinion platform. YKA is about opinions. We encourage your opinion, and the other opinions as well. As far as the fact about enforcing our personal opinions is concerned, YKA only published content it receives from our readers. If you glance over our about us page you would read that we are a user-generated content website. If you don’t think that Arundhati Roy’s answer was clap worthy then we believe that your opinion should be highlighted as well! Before labeling us as an organization that only sides with one ideology, I would recommend you try sending in your opinion article as per our publishing guideline (http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/contribute) to us and see if it gets published or not. If you read our other posts, every opinion is an individual writer’s opinion and they take the effort to explain how they reached that opinion, backing it up with facts. And to re-iterate once again, we are NOT a journalism platform. We are an opinion platform as we believe that there are enough people doing journalism, but very few who highlight the opinions of the everyday citizens.

Just to add, as much as you are entitled to forming your opinion, there are other people who should see all sides of an opinion or issue and then form theirs. We cannot play God to showcase one opinion and hide the other. In today’s day and age no opinion is hidden and YKA only facilitates what comes its way. We’re glad you have such strong opinions.

• Aastha Shad

My understanding of YKA was also simply ‘a platform’, that accounts for unbiased ‘points of discussion’ from YOUR end! I obviously understand that YKA is a ‘forum’ where people belonging to diverse backgrounds voice their opinions, some concur, while some others don’t. But do you realize, whatever comes FROM YKA directly has the power to influence the unaware, the uneducated? do you realize the kind of damage YOU could cause if what YOU think is YOUR personal opinion and since its a democracy you have the liberty to say anything,maybe completely false?
        As the editor, its your social responsibility to raise questions and encourage constructive solutions, NOT be suggestive of anything. What a
        100 people say on YKA is refuted by some other 100’s, what YKA says maybe refuted by 1000,s but simply BELIEVED by maybe lakhs. I hope you understand the kind of responsibility that lies on the shoulders of the editors/founders.

44. ila

Her answer doesn’t really point out that she loves India.And on the issue of Kashmir, lets call the Indian Army back from there and then wait for the country to be taken by terrorists infiltrating from certain areas. Even the Indian Army is not dying to be there. They have families and they stay in acute conditions of freezing temperatures and tin tents. They don’t have proper sanitation and eating facilities. The families of these officers and Jawans are not dying with pleasure to send them to such dangerous areas as they live in fear of never seeing them again. I am not saying that Army is not at fault. I agree that vast atrocities have been committed especially with reference to women by many army jawans over there which cannot be forgiven and those criminals should be punished. But everything has shades of Grey and nothing is completely black and white. It is important to be practical rather than utopian in your beliefs. About criticizing nuclear agenda, nuclear deterrence is important in today’s world especially with countries like USA conducting SPY missions all over the world, and the fact China and Pakistan are bordering towards becoming close allies. About the reference to Muslim riots, whatever happened was very disgusting but that does not include all Indians. So please stop generalizing and shaming our country in front of the world. Every country has its problems and India is not the only one. And many people are working towards those problems especially the issue of women in our country. If she wants to spread awareness about such issues she should do it where the audience needs to be aware… not at conventions in an air conditioned room with a foreign audience. Oh, and I am sorry… but does that classify her as an elite as well? Judging by the awards her book has won, and the fame that her have received it seems so (with reference to your comment on elites).

Reply
  45. Incredible_India

One of the most narrow minded authors ever!! She says leave aside the Kashmir Issue? Is not Kashmir a part of India? Are not those people our brothers and sisters who got killed or dirven out of their home our people? And instead she is focusing on Gujarat alone, and all her facts regarding the 2002 incident are just rubbish and baseless claims.
    Its people like her who give India a bad image. Her statue as an international author is a great factor in defaming India. And again did she talk about 1984?? Did she talk about numerous other riots that occured during the dynastic party rule?? Shows how narrow minded she is, and shows how the ruling party is scared of Modi, and trying to defame him to keep on their dynastic rule over India. Cannot help, but laugh at her statements!!

Reply
    • callmepseudoscecularyouloser

Shows your IQ. She meant, forget the bigger issue, lets first talk about one basic. ” Woh toh baad ki baat hai, pehle issi ko dekhlo”. And yes, a murderer pointing at murderer can be left scot free?

Reply
      • indeed_you_are_a_loser-mrpseudosecular

Ha! Brilliant mr.pseudo secular. U have just proved how narrow minded you too are. Perhaps i feel you people shouldn’t be living in India. Wondering how people like you live here and prosper in our country. And why did it have to narrow down on the Gujarat Chief Minister itself?? Did she even utter a word about 1984? Eh? ” Bada baat karne chali aate hain “/
        People like you know only one thing- to blabber nonsense. And your commet shows the amount of common sense and nationalism you have in you. I might have lesser of IQ, but i can still differentiate between the right and wrong ; genuine and fake.

46. megabookfreak

every country has things to change…pointing them out doesn’t mean you hate the country. if you don’t want the world to know your problems, then don’t have any. change the corruption, the hate, and the discrimination in the country and then you won’t have people talking about it. learn to accept the criticism, there’s a reason it’s being given.

Reply
    • Anirvan S

you know who are the worst contributors to development? critics…especially those who like to gain from their criticism, who want to wash dirt linen among international (read US) public so that they can garner green points to bank on it (like selling their latest book). now…criticism coming from Canada or US is good, they show us where we have to improve. they won’t contribute to our welfare or uplift… but arundhati roy’s a totally different thing. she can actually contribute to her nation’s work. but she instead chooses to bark against it among international audiences. and by-the-way… not only kashmir or gujarat, she’s also very supportive of left-wing armed struggles and the various “liberation” movements taking place around India, be it Gorkhaland, Bodoland or Kamtapur… any wise suggestions for that trait?

Reply
  47. Tanay Chothani

It is sad the way she speaks. She is defaming India in front of the world. People like her are responsible for India’s degrading international image. Because of people like her, foreigners think of Indians as jokers. She doesn’t even know her facts. Less than a thousand muslims were killed, and more than a thousand hindus were killed. How do we call this a program against the Muslims then? And does she know how the riots started? Could I please know the name of this woman? Thank you.

Reply
    • callmepseudoscecularyouloser

wow how the riots started gives you a reason to rape women who were not even involved. gives you a reason to punish people who didnt do anything. punish people, who if had they known, would have never allowed this to happen. Fucklogic.

Reply