55 Percentile Without Attempting A Single Question; Absurd CAT Scores Should Be Investigated

Tweet
Add an opinion

By Swati Nandy:

After the CAT 2013 results, more than 3000 students have reported discrepancies in their scores. A student from Delhi has scored 99 percentile in Quantitative section but has only scored 28 percentile in the Verbal Section. Another candidate from Chennai has scored 93 percentile in the Verbal Section but only managed a 34 percentile in the Quantitative Section. Numerous examples of such absurd scores have been reported across the country.

CAT resultsThere has also been a case where a person who has not attempted a single question has received a 55 percentile. Most of us are aware that the ST cut off for the newer IIMs is 55 percentile. That clearly means that if you are an ST and you leave your entire paper blank you clearly stand a chance to get a coveted seat at the newer IIMs. Is that fair?

Some candidates have left their jobs and prepared for an entire year to crack the CAT. A guy reported that he had prepared for an entire year and had score above 90 percentile in the Mock CATs. He was expecting around 98 percentile. He was shocked at having received just 20 percentile. Although his Verbal section scores were above 90 percentile, he received very low scores in the Quantitative Section.

Since the IIMs have already started their admission procedures, there is no time left for the reprisal of grievances of these candidates. A Facebook group called CAT 2013 – Discrepancy was opened which currently has more than 2000 members. If you feel that either your scores need to be re- evaluated or CAT 2013 needs to be held again, then join this group. Articles have been published in leading newspapers today, addressing this issue. There is also a petition in change.org that has received 3000 signatures. Click here for the petition. 

Although RTI has been filed by most candidates and some are seeking the court to file a PIL, the IIM Indore convener has replied to most candidates stating that scores will not be changed. When it is the future of so many candidates that is at stake, should there be no investigation against the methodologies taken up by IIMs for normalization of the scores?

Tweet
Add an opinion
Like us on FB?  

Disclaimer: Youth Ki Awaaz is an independent, non-partisan media platform. The views of our writers don't necessarily represent the views of the platform. If you disagree with anything we publish, please send us an alternative view, or comment and register your disagreement. Know more about how Youth Ki Awaaz works.

Join the conversation

6 comments

1. Do you people upload content without verification?
    It is possible to get 55 percent without attempting a single question; because a person who didn’t attempt any got 0 marks, whereas many people who answered questions three times wrongly than correct have got negative marks.

Also, what’s the big deal in getting above 90 percentile in one section and only 20 in another? One good in English can easily score good in verbal section without studying much, but might need some preparation for quantitative section, which he might not have prepared.

• Akash Bhatnagar

Dear Ma’am,

we are clearly aware of the fact that getting negative marks will land your in ‘less than zero’ zone…the only thing that amazes ‘us’ is that how could we get a negative score when in all our 20-30 mock tests we have been consistently getting high scores…or at least a positive score. We question CAT about the negative marking technique (be it progressive or exponential or whatever) it uses and let us know our RAW score!

For instance, a guy in my coaching (used to score above 100 in all SIMCATs) attempted 50 question in CAT got only 98%ile but another girl in the coaching (never got the same as him in SIMCATs) attempted only 32 questions and got 99.6%ile.

Whats the use of giving CAT and preparing whole year when CAT cannot clarify its (AB)normalization and negative marking technique. I MEAN IT HAS BECOME MORE OF A GAMBLING!!!

2. Mr. Rohit Kapoor has finally agreed to speak to Prometric and give a formal statement on Monday after a candidate met him and forced him to seriously look into the matter.

3. Chetan Chauhan

This so apocryphal picture of the CAT results have again questioned the CAT evaluation team like it did previous year, But this time it is huge. more than 3000 candidates have suffered and none but the authorities are answerable and responsible to this. This discrepancy in so commonly known country’s most followed Aptitude test, which drives the canditates to study for hours leaving everything aside, has left so many of them in a shocking state. I still remember the time , when I used to switch off my phone once I interim my parents, not using Whatsapp, or black berry messenger, or Facebook chats or any other medium which could divert my attention from studies for around 6 months, and every morning waking up with an aim of doing better than yesterday. It was this exam and its hardcore preparation I involved myself in for 9 months, because of which I left my job. And then comes the D day. Was not very much satisfied with my performance in Quant , coz for me that was my strongest part. But still I was expecting 90+ in Quant. And now it arrives in the most horrible and shocking form. 39.97 percentile in Quant and 96 percentile in Verbal.. That means, I was not able to score even a single mark in Quant. As per the results the person who left without attempting a question got 53 percentile in Quant. Two days it took me to console myself. To take it as it appeared. To continue with it thinking another challenge that life throws u. To accept it as a fight between my and God. But the next morning again another thought crosses my mind and then after analysing things meticulously I came at a calculated conclusion. This is rubbish. Cannot accept this . Either the authorities come forward and accept the mistake they made and re-evaluate the marks. Else… U have lost ur credibility and that aura u maintained .. CAT .which predicates the lives of lacs of aspirants.. I m never gonna take this exam ever again …

4. viky

Future of many students at Stake. Cat results is used not only by IIMs but also other top B-schools. So if there is some wrong in the system its going to take all possible opportunities of those candidates who are suffering because of others mistake.

• ayan

“that if you are an ST and you leave your entire paper blank you clearly stand a chance to get a coveted seat at the newer IIMs. Is that fair?”

CAT is for management students, just think about other exams like medical entrance or IAS /IPS where this kind of discrepancies happens since caste based reservation system is followed. this exams select our future doctors and administrators who will be leading our country in the field of growth…

is it not that fate of our health and our country depends on these hands ???

Type to Search

See all results