By Amirah Ikram:

I write. I do not write everyday not even every month. But when I do, I write for myself. Writing for myself doesn’t mean that I write with no intentions of getting my work published. I would be happy if my words would benefit others and would open a new beautiful world in front of them. Now, this is the real question.

Writing

I do not know if my ideas and the way I perceive things will come as a great piece of work written in an erudite manner to fascinate every reader, compelling them to give their lock and key of the chest of imagination and wonder in my hand. I do not know if I am strong enough to help them. By helping, I do not mean to show them the right way or help them in enhancing their imaginative skills; all that I mean by helping is to trigger a sense of magic in their mind, a magic which would help them to associate with my thoughts.

After all, no writer writes just to please the readers. I know this sounds absurd, but really. Young writers, when they start writing, explore the world. They write about different things, each having their own perspectives. They do not write to please the readers. They write to start a revolution to which the readers may or may not respond. So, when one gets a huge fan following, it is because most of the readers begin to hand over their locks and keys to the writer. All this is a web. They speak ill about your ideas because they, inspite of trying, have failed miserably. But who are these ‘they’? It is everyone who doesn’t write.

Young writers, I am a part of you. When you write, please write for yourself. And do not let ‘them’ disturb you. Do not let ‘them’ comment on your work who cannot take the weight of pen in their hands. Your work might not be the best piece of literature, but it is the best part of you. Every page or line written is undoubtedly the best page written by you. Be revolutionary and visionary with words. And fight your battle on paper.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 9:53 am February 3, 2014
Manal
Reply
Author

I really can connect to what you have written here. There often is a fear among young writers as to what the audience will feel? how will they be judged? it is at this time that we write to please others, which is to be avoided! I believe write for yourself. write what you like, how you like with no fear of being judged because no two writers have an exactly same perspective. in todays world, we need a number of views to get to a valid conclusion and it is here where we need our writers to be fearless…

Harvey Specter
Posted at 8:34 pm January 18, 2014
Shubham
Reply
Author

I loved reading this. Every writer out there will connect with this SO much because the expectations of the so called ‘critics’ is always a deterrent to the creative process. But I absolutely agree that we should write for ourselves.. write about things that speak to us and affect us. So what if it’s not the next big thing. Being creative is a way of being true to yourself and your conscience. I’ve always believed that any form of creativity is like a conversation with ourselves. If we allow others to weigh over this personal process too, then its really just injustice.

So, thank you, dear author for echoing my thoughts and the thoughts of other writers around the world.

Harvey Specter
    Posted at 11:17 am June 23, 2014
    Amirah Ikram
    Reply
    Author

Exactly, my point. I am glad the message conveyed is clear to the readers.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 9:12 pm January 17, 2014
Astha
Reply
Author

Exactly. Writing (any form of art for that matter) allows one step into the shoes of creator. To be able to create something is the most beautiful feeling that makes one’s existence a lot more meaningful. :)

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:18 pm January 17, 2014
Parvathi Preethan
Reply
Author

You speak my mind, like exactly! Guess it’s the magic you mentioned in the article ;)

Harvey Specter
Posted at 4:09 am January 15, 2014
jeeka krishna
Reply
Author

loved it

Harvey Specter
Posted at 12:36 am January 15, 2014
Phanindra
Reply
Author

Dear Amirah Ikram,

This Phanindra, an young mind willing to share thoughts with the people and wish to see them in action. Till now i have not penned any of my thoughts, but your essay triggered the thought of writing down my ideas. Thanks a lot. lets hope these ideas would bring some revolution in the people.

Regards,
Phanindra

Harvey Specter
    Posted at 12:29 pm January 15, 2014
    Amirah Ikram
    Reply
    Author

Write for yourself! The world will sooner or later follow. :)