‘A Young Bleeding Woman’ Pens An Open Letter To The Keepers Of Sabrimala Temple

By Nikita Azad:

Respected Sir,

I am a girl, of 20. I have eyes, nose, ears, lips, arms, legs just as any human on earth. But, unfortunately, I also have breasts, hips, and a bleeding vagina. I recently came to know that my blood pollutes the temple Sabrimala, and I am denied entry into it because I am a woman who menstruates. When questioned, you said, “A time will come when people will ask if all women should be disallowed from entering the temple throughout the year. These days there are machines that scan bodies and check for weapons. There will be a day when a machine is invented to scan if it is the ‘right time’ (not menstruating) for a woman to enter the temple. When that machine is invented, we will talk about letting women inside.”

I am not furious at your statement, but I am saddened.

Sabrimala temple nikita azad

I come from a Hindu family. My parents always taught me how to bow in front of idols of numerous gods and goddesses. Each year, I go to Chintapurni, Naina Devi, Vaishno Devi, Chamunda Devi, Jawala Ji with my family. My parents have taught me how God created men and women as equals, how all humans are children of God. Your statement has left me dumbstruck, by breaking every belief I had in God.

I have heard my mother say that women don’t enter temples during ‘that time’, but I usually avoided this belief as something stupid until now. I thought that for a particular section, women may become impure by bleeding, but I am shattered to know that for one of the biggest historic temples in India, bleeding is a sin.

I have carried sanitary napkins in a black polythene all my life, so as to protect my honour. I have always carefully placed the napkin so that my dress doesn’t absorb blood, have gone into washroom numerous times to check if it is in place during that time. I have silently carried the bag into the washroom and have given shy smiles when asked upon where I am going. I have hurriedly run to the dustbin so that my dad, brother don’t see that I am down. I have consciously searched for shops with female shopkeepers for purchasing sanitary napkins. I have tried my best to uphold the sacred culture of our society. I have never offended you.

But, I am sorry. I was not able to end the blood flowing out of my body. I am not able to end my curse, which I obtained by participating in the murder of a Brahmin (that’s what the historical justification of menstruation is). Blood flows out. It is my fault, right?

With due respect, I dare to ask a few questions about my fault.

All men who enter the temple are a product of sexual intercourse done by a man and a woman. The woman keeps the baby in her womb for about nine months, provides nutrition through her uterus to the baby, and gives birth to the baby through her vagina. Aren’t all the men who enter the temple product of the blood formed in their mothers’ uteruses?

As a child, I was worshipped as a Devi on Ashtami. But, as I grew up, I was told that I am impure. My parents were reminded repeatedly that they need to marry me off in order to free themselves of the burden. I was told that my egg must fertilise with a man’s sperm chosen by society. If I dare choose the sperm on my own, I will be disowned. Similarly, you have decided that I should not bring my polluted blood inside the temple. But, which God gave somebody the right to choose what I do with my blood?

Sir, I have no interest in entering the temple, for I refuse to believe in a God that considers his own children impure. But, I wish to ask you, with which God’s permission are you proposing that my purity be checked? I hope you are well aware of the Devadasi system, once propagated by your God, and which gradually became a system whereby a girl is married to a deity or temple, and then became a prostitute for upper caste communities. We have gotten rid of this casteist, inhuman, patriarchal practice with much difficulty, but I gather that you are proposing another such system by implanting machines that check purity.

We live in a nation, “a democratic nation”, where a woman is raped every twenty minutes, and every second woman is subject to domestic violence. According to you, perhaps the reason behind these is also blood. As you have given the solution to protect the sanctity of temple by not allowing bleeding women inside, do you propose that bleeding women should be caged in homes to prevent such incidents? Of course, you do. I hope you miss your friend, Asaram Bapu who said that the rapists of Delhi Gang Rape would have pitied Nirbhaya if she called them Bhaiya.

Last question. You have mocked the entire women community by tagging menstruation as an impure activity. But, at the same time, you have claimed a temple made by my fellow brothers, sisters as your private ancestral property. By which authority, do you call Sabrimala temple, your temple? By what authority, do you decide that I cannot enter the temple?

In the end, I would like to thank you. I thank you for giving women an opportunity to get rid of the utopian-liberal discourse of freedom, and rethink their position in society. Also, I thank you because your statement will not install purity checking machines, rather let women put a fight against such retrogressive, barbaric, and misogynist customs.

In wait of answers

Yours sincerely,
A young, bleeding woman

IMPACT: Post publishing, this piece led to mass media mobilization around the issue as several news outlets published excerpts from the author’s letter. A nationwide campaign, #HappyToBleed was organized around the letter and raised important and pertinent questions about menstruation and the stigma around it.

After this post was published and #HappyToBleed became a national campaign, we received the following responses to the article:

Of Sweat, Semen And Menstruation: The Problematic Support For #HappyToBleed

As A Man, I Support #HappyToBleed. It’s High Time We Do Away With Menstrual Taboos!

Menstruation taboos are just one of the ways in which patriarchy oppresses women. But they aren’t alone. Patriarchy also dictates how men should live and behave. Read 7 Ways In Which Being ‘Manly’ Oppresses Men As Much As It Oppresses Women.

You too can submit a story on Youth Ki Awaaz using our easy submission form.
You too can submit a story on Youth Ki Awaaz using our easy submission form.

You may also like

74 comments

1. ياء كرازبي ميكم 6 months ago

A very brave, direct, and caring article. I don’t have the background to understand this (Asaram Bapu who said that the rapists of Delhi Gang Rape would have pitied Nirbrhaya if she called them Bhaiya.) reference. If you could drop me a link or something it will shorten my search to figure it out. I think this work you do is vital to all of our societies especially the sub continent.

2. aswin 6 months ago

Sabarimala temple denied entry to young women because it is against the real existence of temple, the temple is said to be the resting place of ‘ bhramachari lord Ayyappa’ . and lord wish to rest there in eternal peace without being disturbed by the presence of young virgin ladies. that is the reason y girls reaching adulthood denied entry to temple. the legend says ‘Lord ayyappas was loved by malikappurathamma , but Ayyappa denied to marry her since he vowed for celeibacy, but he allowed only her to rest near the temple spot, as u can still see a small temple devoted for malikappurathamma’. Every temple has got its own story behind its existence , u should respect that….. I don’t understand y u r so adamant to go there itself

3. Amita Jain 6 months ago

Women don’t need any temple, God resides in their heart. We all know that God has vested most of his powers to the female race. This is the reason why these frustrated men need such “temples” to communicate with God where they create such stupid fuss. Come on grow up & make use of whatever education you have received (if at all). A non menstruating woman wouldn’t have been able to give birth to you (why were you born at all). PERIOD !

4. Pratiksha 6 months ago

It’s a sad reality that even today we have such baseless arguments coming up to undermine women and demean them for what is essentially, ‘god’s gift’. What they do not understand is by prohibiting women entry into temples and other places of worship, they can by no means separate women from God altogether. To all these double faced ‘pujaris’ of the highest order, do you not realize that God does not reside in your temples alone? What do they have to say about their reiteration on the purity of the soul? How is it then that the (normal) functioning of the body takes precedence? The body always harbors impurities. Your digested food, your urine, dirt in your ears, nose, eyes, hair, nails, everywhere, what about these? Isn’t excreting dirt from your stomach every single day of your lives just the same thing? A normal bodily function?! What differentiates mensuration? Only that it facilitates the survival of human species unlike other ‘impurities’ that do no other good! And which God says we are impure? I’m sure that no woman can resonate with any God who forbids her.

Thank you for writing this piece. We need many more efforts to make the world aware of it’s fallibility and contradictions.

5. Vid 6 months ago

Why people even care to worship a ‘God’ who is so sexist. Remember, in Hinduism the first God was half man and half woman. If people are so stupid and ignorant that they do not even know about their own religion correctly, why do you give a shit even.

6. Ayyappa devotee 6 months ago

Dear author,

Appreciate your concerns regarding the prohibition of women aged between 10-50 at Sabarimala temple. I also agree and stand with you on all the direct points you have stated here regarding the concerns faced by women on this country ranging from security to equality. But let us focus on one single point of the argument- Entry of women to Ayyapa temple at Sabarimala. Instead of deviating and amplifying other issues let’s focus upon our topic for the day.

Ayyapa temple at Sabarimala is one of the four ayyapa temples which symbolizes worship of deity Dharmashasta. Other three being Kulathupuzha,Achancovil and Aryankavu. There is no restriction to women of any age at other three temples. Sabarimala is entirely a different situation. Ayyappa or Sashta over here is at a form of bhramacharya or the eternal celibate. He is in yogic position unlike other temples where he is as a child, a husband and as aged saint.(Balya, Bhramacharya, Grihastrasta and Vanaprasta) four states of a man’s life and four temples denoting the same. To visit Sabarimala you need to follow 41 days of Vritha which includes and stress upon suppression of non vegetarian food, negative thoughts and sexual desires. An Ayyapa devotee after wearing the mama is considered as Lord ayyappa himself- Tatwamasi. Keeping away from women is part of the pre pilgrimage assurities one need to perform before climbing the holly trek. As an ayyappa devotee we stay away from home, roam around with other ayyappa devotees. A total disconnect from regular family affaiars.The devotee makes great attempts to control his mind (as sexual urges do happen and are very normal too. This is exactly the way nature has built us.), and keep it tamed and tuned to think about God and spirituality, and to perform good deeds. It is in this state of mind that he takes the arduous trek to Sannidhanam, passing through thick forests and trekking through steep mountains. He has to many a times share accommodation with many other devotees, and spend a lot of time with them during this pilgrimage. He has to bathe in open rivers in cold water, and make many other adjustments during this trip. I will come to the spiritual significance of this practice another time. But now, let’s think what would be the situation if there are young women added to this group. Man’s natural urges would definitely take over. He would feel a need to protect his woman from other members of the group, and that would be the topmost priority in his mind. He can no longer make adjustments with the group and concentrate on the final and most important reason why he took this pilgrimage in the first place. Also, the lady would feel out of place….How comfortable would she be trekking with a number of men who she is not related to? The close proximity of a lot of men, would not allow her to bathe or sleep (in tents under the open sky or in a shared accommodation with many other people) or do any other activity with total peace of mind. So it will deviate the mind from doing what actually is required. Spiritual enlightenment. But women below age of 10 and above 50 won’t have any issues adjusting with such a group.

As you rightly pointed out there is no restriction anywhere be it Vaisno devi, Kailash Yartra or Thirumalai Tirupathi. Case with Sabarimala is entirely different. Swamiyee Sharan ayyapa

7. vivek kumar 6 months ago

kudos to you for such vociferous attitude.you have rightly vocalized your anger and struck the irrational and inhuman practices that have been followed by our societies since centuries.it’s really egregious and shameful to us that one one hand we are preparing to hijack mars on the plinth of science & tech but on the other hand we still dwell in the age old custom of nonsensical ,illogical & superstitious notions. this should be condoned.i appreciate your dareness madam.

8. Str 6 months ago

Nicely put. Ayyappa deity is a nithya brahmachari. So for maintaining that women of age 10-60 are barred from entering sabarimala. This is what i know. Don’t know any other reason.

9. satashti singh 6 months ago

Hello. I read your article. my opinions are also same for this. I am with you. If you want any kind of support or help plz let me know. i definitely will help as my aim is to be a social reformer and help others. again excellent article.

10. Aravinda 6 months ago

Well said.
    The fight against such retrogressive, barbaric, and misogynist
    customs is long overdue.

11. Vandana 6 months ago

I do not why that one temple troubles you all. In olden days taking a trip to sabarimala was very risky. The person may not even return so women who were productive that in the age group of 15 to 60 were not allowed. Whereas once you complete your mesnsuration you can go. Remember people population was given importance than. So let God choose whom he wants to see. So not interfere in his rights.

12. Reema 6 months ago

Just because your religion give you the right to question it, dont ask silly ones. Think and do research before you go around saying u bleed. No one is giving u any prize for that. Ask in the relevant places!

13. Pravish 6 months ago

I guess she is Miss.offensive who gets offended in everything what she see. They say when a girl menstruate they attain the womanhood and that’s the reason why woman are not allowed because Ayyappa who resides in Sabarimala Is a Brahmachari so only Girls from 14 years of age to 60 is not allowed. It has nothing to do with the Blood which bleed every month.

14. Harika 6 months ago

let me ask a question ….as far as I know a muslim women is not allowed to enter the mosque after a certain point… a muslim women also menstruates … how many of them are questioning saying i menstruate so i’m not allowed to enter the mosque ? every religion, every temple has it’s own significance ……. don’t point saying since you menstruate you are not allowed to enter temple … if you are hindu you have to practice what is said on shastra’s …. there are reasons mentioned why women are not allowed into any temples during menstrual period … and if you are not practicing what is said in sastra’s the you don’t have any right to question about the traditions … and for God sake who said that if you menstruate you are impure … whoever said that is either stupid or ignorant or a fool

15. Vaishakh 6 months ago

Nice article, all the things you said are correct and well presented. I understand and acknowledge the issues women face today ranging from social security to physical security.
    Now coming on to Sabarimala issue; I would tell that you should have done some homework on understanding “WHY” is the restriction imposed. I understand that all you did was to understand only the “WHAT” portion on the problem.
    Request to you; please do a good homework on any topic like the “WHAT”, “WHY”, “WHEN”, “HOW” factors.
    Keep writing…. keep smiling…

16. latha 6 months ago

do check out
    http://www.mum.org/religmen.htm “Indian housewives, for ages, have known that pickle and other preserved foods handled by them during menses spoil easily.
    So is there a scientific explanation for this? Indeed, there is!
    Critical investigations by Drs. Macht and Lobin at Johns Hopkins University [my alma mater! Who are these guys? I’m quitting the alumni association!] Laboratory have found a certain toxin (appropriately called “Menotoxin”) in the various body fluids of a menstruating woman. This toxin is believed to manifest itself in large quantities, just before and during the first few days of the onset of the monthly period. Research has revealed that Menotoxin has an inhibitory effect on the growth of roots, stems, living seedlings, yeast and affects the geotropic properties of seedlings. “

17. Divya 6 months ago

Dear Lady,

From your post I get to understand that neither you nor your parents understand the Hindu culture, If somebody is told you that you bleed is impure then they are wrong. Culture is a very age old thing in this earth. First of all I want question the sanity of your article :- did we insist you to carry your sanitary napkins in a black polythene, No you choose to do it thinking of protecting your honour. — which is wrong– you should ask your mother as why she taught you something that is wrong? I have not done this so far in my 20 years. Did we ask you to always carefully placed the napkin so that your dress doesn’t absorb blood, you did this for your hygiene purpose. Did we ask you to go to washroom numerous times to check if it is in place during that time. It was for your own comfortability. The whole world know how uncomfortable it is to bleed and get wet and do our regular day to day work. Again you visited restroom for your comfortability not ours. Did we ask you to go silently carrying the bag into the washroom and have given shy smiles when asked upon where you were going. No you are hypocrite and want to hide and create a taboo. This means you have grown in a wrong environment with wrong lessons learnt. Did we or your father asked you to have hurriedly run to the dustbin and ask you to hid that you are down. No you have created a shell of misconception around yourself. I have never done this with my father or brother. — You should question your upbringing from your mother who has taught you to hid nature’s gift to women not us. Did we ask you to consciously searched for shops with female shopkeepers for purchasing sanitary napkins. No, I have never done this…….I know that every man in this society is born from a woman who bleeds, lives with a women who bleeds and share life with a women who bleeds. Just buy buying sanitary napkins from a women shopkeeper will not rule out that you don’t bleed and other will not rule out that you don’t bleed. You should at all time question your mother you has inculcated such stupid ideas to uphold the sacred culture of our society.
    Learn History:
    In Sabrimala temple it is know that queen/mother of Ayyappa told him a lie to bring tiger’s milk to cure her headache in order to make her own son a crown prince. It was in this rage that Ayyappa relinquished his throne and wealth to his younger brother and punished his mother and all women for being self centered and greedy by asking women not to enter his temple. Since his mother cried for pardon he told her that she and other women can visit him only after attaining a age when body desirers vanishes. This could happen only in two occasions 1) when you are a child 2) when you attain a age when you are not into physical needs/lust/pleasure. He is nitya bramhachari who did not like to be disturbed by women beauty.

Please learn you from other communities– when our muslim brother do not allow women to enter mosque………do you think they are protesting no they are learning and understanding the reasons behind……….there is always a reason behind age old practices and our elders have failed to impart it or cascade it down to the other generations.

18. V Geetha 6 months ago

Aswin, the young girl does not want to enter the temple. She has clearly stated how she was brought up – to
    respect God, temples and importantly our culture. She is devastated by the statement made by the person,
    his indifference, his ignorance, his total insensitivity. And so are we. If the temple will not allow menstruating
    women, it is fine by us. But who gives him the authority to use such words? He is supposed to serve Lord
    Ayyappa and his devotees and yes, respect those women who stand by their husbands and sons and
    young daughters and old mothers to take up their 42 days of fasting to reach His Land. The man has to
    apologize.

19. gowri 6 months ago

Dear Nikita Azad: I am writing from a strong womanist /feminist perspective. I went through your writing and the comments of others.
    After reading and re-reading I think you got many issues all skewed.From mensuration to rape to ancestral property etc….But why is your anger directed towards Sabarimala?
    I dont know about the bachelor theory but I know one thing for sure: Sabarimala was in the midst and still is of a huge forest /jungle.Wild animals roamed free. The trek unlike today meant walking many miles through the forest unlike today where there are motorable roads quite near to the temple.
    If a woman had her periods she could be tired and there was no way anyone can leave her in a safe place and come back to pick her up. Or for that matter could she have gone behind the bushes to do you know what.Its an arduous journey even today- people dont know if they will come back safe…… arduous because of the wild animals and the very terrain of the land…..Same logic was applied in our homes where we were asked to sit out -and we rested.Funny but yes…..did we like it? mmm…yes and no.
    And more importantly the men in those days really went on vrathas for 40 days and that
    meant not just food but no relationship with their wives-in other words total abstinence.A woman could have become an easy target….
    So there was a logic to it then…and as all good intentions they develop eyes and noses and
    become something else…
    Are you a devotee of the Lord? did you want to go there for some reason? no..then let it go
    Because I can show you temples where the Goddesses have their mensuration dates marked-and it is celebrated as a n auspicious event and marked with celebrations.Is it so important? yes-ask women who have problems and so cant bear a child and they will tell you what it is….So as a woman,a young woman at that,,dont get upset ;its ok. First lets solve w omens issues here and now and then temples will change ….

Like Dislike
  20. I stand by you. Suugest you to go ahead with the fight of right to next step. File PIL.

21. varadarajan 6 months ago

please stop your publicity stunt, girl. do u even have a clue what that temple is for? it is a temple of for the brahmachari lord Aiyappa. and do you have any clue how tough it is to get there. A 41 day penance and abstinence from debauchery and maintaining celibacy during the period. AS YOU SAID IT IN YOUR PROFILE ” Politics is my glucose” WE DO UNDERSTAND THAT ITS NOTHING BUT A POLITICAL GIMMICK. AND VERY SOON YOU WOULD BE ONE OF THE DUMB NETAS OF TOMORROW. FIRST UNDERSTAND THE LOGIC AS TO WHY IT HAS BEEN KEPT SO FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS.

I DO SUPPORT YOUR CAUSE( HAPPY TO BLEED) BUT AT THE RIGHT PLACE. AND ALL THOSE IN SUPPORT ITS FOR YOU TOO.. ITS LIKE GOING TO VAISHNO DEVI WITHOUT A WINTER WEAR. THERE IS A REASON WHY. NIKITA PLEASE UNDERSTAND OR AT LEAST TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHY IT HAS BEEN KEPT WITHOUT THE PRESENCE OF WOMEN ALL THIS WHILE.

YOUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH ALLOWS YOU TO BLABBER WHATEVER YOU HEAR, AT LEAST HAVE SOME RESPECT. AND MARK MY WORDS, EVEN IF ALLOWED YOU WOULD NEVER GO BECAUSE ALL OF THIS IS JUST A PUBLICITY STUNT ANDOUR HEART YOU DO NOT HAVE THE FAITH TO GO THERE.

22. varadarajan 6 months ago

23. varadarajan 6 months ago

and why is that my comment does not get thru your approval. because that girl gives your site publicity too .. shame on you cheap publicity mongerers

24. Nithya 6 months ago

With all due respect to the deity concerned, the author protested against the board chief’s given reason for not allowing women in the temple which were regressive,misogynist, discriminating to say the least. In olden days,menstruating women were prohibited from any places of worship because of lack of hygienic options available to the ladies,that is not the case today. And regarding Muslim women, they are considered less then their male counterparts in their personal law, can be arbitrarily divorced by their husbands and some do not even get the option of making reproductive choices regarding their own body, is that what you are suggesting for Hindu women? Please don’t give regressive examples.

25. God 6 months ago

Most of the People have their understanding about God only based upon what others have said to them. They are happy to preach, practice and pass on those hearsay theories about God, because it is easy for them to believe in what others say than doing their own research to find out the God within themselves. If such kind of believers grow more in number, then they start to impose their beliefs on others too in the name of custom, history and sashthra etc etc., ( and most of the time they exaggerate or even distort them too). They are able to do this successfully because they get the help from other social evils like illiteracy, poverty, patriarchy etc., Even we hen they are able to get rid of poverty and illiteracy by education and employment at some point of time, they are not ready to come out of these shells, because of the comfort they have found in it. Any one who does any original research like you about God and understands that God is present everywhere and that the God energy is pervasive and poses questions, will appear like an alien only.

26. Anamika 6 months ago

Wonderful reply…Thanks

27. Dheeraj 6 months ago

Dude, there is a line between belief and stupidity. What you are talking is stupidity. Go get some real education

28. Aishwarya 6 months ago

Very true. Amazing. This is what we need to bring women ‘out of the closet’ in our country.

29. Desert 6 months ago

Dear Nithya,
    Muslim women are not considered less than the men. And women can divorce men. And what is the nonsense about reproductive choices? The traditions followed are much different than the Islamic laws. So please be sure of you sources. Muslims women when bleeding are allowed in kitchens and can go where they want.
    The issue here is the temple priest’s comments. Why are other religions dragged into it as justification for his comments.

30. Pallavi 6 months ago

you call yourself a feminist but then speak regressively. I could poke holes in everything but would just raise one thing – “A woman could have become an easy target” – are you saying men are animals who could not controlled themselves in their “hard vrat” when women were close? If yes, isn’t it on those “men”? RAPE is NEVER a woman’s mistake. Also, women below 15 year of age or older than 60 too are raped in our world. What was the logic in allowing them? Are you saying women under 15 and over 60 would be less tired in the “Arduous journey” would fair better than menstruating women? Any religion, any temple, any mosque, any damn place that stops women from entering any time is absolutely wrong.

31. divya 6 months ago

you please are not taking good things from others why choose arbitrarily divorce for your example. point is for being touchable or untouchable when you bleed not divorce. Kindly think before making a comment.

32. Vijay Kumar Thakur 6 months ago

I support Nikita. God makes girls to bleed, men are not capable to stop the process, So they are not permitted to prohibit their entrance in any temple, gurudwara, church or mosque.

33. Surbhi 6 months ago

Oh…I just only wanna say that… Agr mujhe koi is baat ke lia mandir Jane krta h to ….I think thats the biggest drawback of our society ..culture n country too
    Maybe hmare society ye bhool chuki h ke girls n boys are same….. Hm apne culture ko constitution se upr rkh hi nhi site
    Or vaise bhi jisne bhi ye kha that girls shouldn’t go ..temples in ..that days
    He must be a narrow minded and idiot .

Ye kisi god ka kha hua to hai nhi bcoz I’ve observed Lott’s of things that
    Hmare society kuch bhi kehti h or hm use religion ya culture se relate kr dete h…
    Its not curse for a girl to bleed
    Agr hmara vagina nhi hoga so there is no question of bleeding.. Kya vo aesa chahte h Ki hmara vagina he na ho nhi …lol koi ni chahta… They only need is issue ..and want to talk daft things…. If ur not agree wid whatever the this blog wanna say .u must read ..or search abt… The same issue in Australia ..wt happened

34. Saranam Ayappa 6 months ago

Thanks for your clear and logical response.

As a person who has taken the holy trip/trek for over 14 years, I am so glad that some one like you has explained this in detail.

Sometimes, people do not think that something might have been in place as part of a long standing history for a valid reason. This case to be specific, 20 years back the visit to the temple involved walking through 60 miles of dense forests full of wild elephants and sometimes tigers.

When we go on our trip, we do not say “See You” to our beloved ones as we are not 100% sure that we might return alive. This was another reason as to why women between the age of 10-50 are not allowed to take the arduous through the forest.

People fighting for women rights should try to understand the situation before they try to create a mass movement against this.

I appreciate Nikita starting this up, but she should understand that this religious practice is in no way a discrimination on women!!

Peace!

35. Rajah 6 months ago

@Dheeraj:

If you consider this stupidity, why don’t you just stay away from it? Why try to impose your own beliefs on it which the other side can consider stupid? In Hindu tradition, especially South Indian Temple tradition that follow the Agamas, there are rules and regulations to be followed before entering the temple to maintain its sanctity. Males also have to follow rules – you have to take a bath, not eat meat on that day, before entering the temple. You are not supposed to take a bath AFTER leaving the temple on that day too. Men should not enter temples for a certain period of time after the birth of a child or the death of a parent. Women should not enter temples during their menstrual cycle. There are further specific stringent rules for temples like the one mentioned in this article. You don’t like it and consider it stupid – then stay away from it.

36. Rajah 6 months ago

@Amita:

“A non menstruating woman wouldn’t have been able to give birth to you (why were you born at all). PERIOD !”

Right, and a human who cannot defecate would not survive, so lets allow people to come in and defecate inside temples whenever and wherever they please. Why stop and control a natural god-given function that every human needs to exercise – why force them with our stupid rules and fuss to control that function and do it only in specific places. A woman who is inside a temple and gets the urge to defecate should be allowed to do it right there and then because a non-defecating woman would not have been able to give birth to you. Indeed….

37. Rajah 6 months ago

@God

“Don’t get discouraged Nikita. This is how it was all the time and every freedom is got only by battling against these forces each time. Continue to battle by giving your voice. All the Best!”

If you believe that “God is present everywhere and God energy is pervasive”, why are you and her making a fuss about entering this temple? According to you, these people don’t believe in God the way you do – so why are you trying to impose your beliefs on them? What freedom are you talking about? What you are fighting for is to take away the freedom of these people to believe and worship as they so please. If I setup my own temple tomorrow and bar everyone except myself from entering, are you going to fight that also in the name of freedom? That’s not freedom, that’s fascism. No one is forcing you to enter this temple or pay for it in any way. You don’t like it or believe in it, you are free to stay away from it.

38. Rajah 6 months ago

@Vijay.

God makes humans defecate and urinate. Humans are not capable of stopping the process. So a man defecating and urinating in his pants should not be prohibited from entering any temple and if inside the temple, should not be prohibited from taking a dump on the temple floor because it is God created process.

39. Nirmal 6 months ago

Greetings Nikita,
    I do understand the emotional side you had taken to this issue and empathises from your side at the laxious way they had issued the statement. I would just like to make a very scientific explanation why ladies during their “time ” are not entertained in the temple. (I am no expert and this is a read knowledge )

Temples are usually located at places where the earth’s postive magnetic forces are at the maximum. The idol Which is made of (brass, stone, marble or panchaloha depending upon local practices) are connected to a copper plate Which is buried deep inside the earth and a copper wire connects the plate to the idol Which helps in deriving the energy from earth’s underground to the surface. Temperature difference is the phenomenon thats used in the transfer of energy here .
    During mensus , the womens body heat rises than normal (higher than the idol – energy always flows from higher to lower level ) hence disrupting the energy equilibrium. And that’s why ladies are not permitted in the temple .

The statement was bizzare , yes of course and should have been made more sensibly , but each region has beliefs and faiths and there are scientific reasons behind it . Take the good , leave the rest .
    Just like u said devdasi system was abolished , the shortcomings will be over done by time .
    And author , dont criticize the entire system , just point at the dents . And do have in mind that hindusim do.have. women God’s and there is a temple exclusively for mensurating ladies,

[email protected]

40. Just another women 6 months ago

Hi

I appreciate your response to the issue and gladly accept all the cultural, spiritual and traditional practices that Sabrimala Temple is associated with. Yes, I know it is a temple for Bramhacharya Ayappa and trust me I personally have no interest in breaking the ‘bramhacharya’ essence of the temple. I do not want to go to the temple, but I respect God never the less. Sabrimala isn’t the only temple in India which has a bramhacharya principle associated to it. (I have visited Shani Srignapuri which has a similar culture) But what stirred this post was not the ‘Tradition’ but the comment!

‘A time will come when people will ask if all women should be disallowed from entering the temple throughout the year. These days there are machines that scan bodies and check for weapons. There will be a day when a machine is invented to scan if it is the ‘right time’ (not menstruating) for a woman to enter the temple. When that machine is invented, we will talk about letting women inside.’

Does the comment still talk about the Bramhacharya logic or is it an attack on a gender? Think about it, the comment means women should be SCANNED and that would decide if a women can enter the premises of the temple. So the very knowledgeable spiritual gentlemen would in future be okay with a woman, aged between 10-50, entering the temple if she turns out to be clean/pure with that machine, right? So tell me this, does Bramhacharya mean not being in the vicinity of a women during her monthly periods or is it just about celibacy? The comment was not about adulthood of a women it was about her being in the ‘right time’ (of the month) to enter the temple.

Keep your culture, keep our culture but speak logically when you speak of the culture. Such comments are sexist and outrageous and not in support of any culture. The post wasn’t ‘deviating and amplifying other issues’, it just spoke about how nonsensical that horrible comment was.

41. God 6 months ago

Hope Sabariamala is not owned by you or any particular group of people like you. If you build any such personal temple and own and prescribe rules, I will definitely recommend Nikita or any one like her not to enter into it or to even think of it.

42. P Radhakrishnan 6 months ago

Debarring women in the menstruation-age and the associated legitimation myths are part of the several ways the archaic Brahmin priesthood [and other priesthoods which survive through the infection of imitation], and the related patriarchy continue to dominate the Hindu society. Variants of this are seen in most other temples. The resulting “social closure” is not only against women, but also men, depending on castes and communities. Believers should launch a sustained campaign to sanitize temples and other Hindu public worship centers [and sensitise temple-goers] to ensure that everyone irrespective of caste, creed, gender and age have access right up to the sanctum, that those entering the precincts are not required to remove their upper clothes [footwear could be left out for reasons of hygiene], and that health and hygiene inspectors are appointed by the temple boards to inspect food [including prasadam] cooked in the temples and the temple functionaries are clean so that they will not spread diseases to those go near them.

43. Rajah 6 months ago

@Pratisksha:

“The body always harbors impurities. Your digested food, your urine, dirt in your ears, nose, eyes, hair, nails, everywhere, what about these? Isn’t excreting dirt from your stomach every single day of your lives just the same thing? A normal bodily function?!”

Most certainly, which is why there are rules such as taking a bath and cleaning yourself before entering a temple. And why you cannot defecate and urinate in a temple. You cannot take a dump in your pants and enter a temple.

“What differentiates mensuration? Only that it facilitates the survival of human species unlike other ‘impurities’ that do no other good!”

Absolute rubbish. The blood that comes from menstruation serves no purpose whatsoever and is as useful as all other excretions from the body – it is excreted because it is of no use anymore. Please go learn some basic biology. Defecation and urination facilitates the survival of the human species just as much as menstruation does – just try stopping those bodily processes for a few days and see how long you last.

44. Himani Narwal 6 months ago

A direct and a very genuine article. I still have goosebumps on my body. I thank you for sharing such a great thing and I too will try hard to break this menstrual taboo and silence and will share this article with people .

45. indoo 6 months ago

Are you telling that there is no god in the Bathroom/ toilet?

46. Anonymous 6 months ago

Feminism has gotten a new yet erroneous meaning. Today, feminism is to overpower men, rather than to empower women and bring equality between the two genders. It has become a trend now to find fault in every dialogue, every episode, every issue, simply under the name of ‘feminism’.

My point is that this article is unnecessarily blowing up the issue. The head of the Devaswom board just tried to say that menstruating women won’t be allowed because that is the tradition. An age-old tradition can’t be changed in a day for the convenience of feminists. I am also a woman, a well-educated woman in fact, and yet I believe this issue is simply being exaggerated. Everyone knows menstruation is a natural thing and no one is denying that. But, a tradition is a tradition. And moreover, I think everyone takes a keen interesting in point fingers when it comes to a Hindu-related issue (even if you’re yourself a Hindu. Seems like an uber-cool thing to point fingers at your own religion, I think). Even Muslims consider menstruating women impure and so during ‘that time’ they can’t touch the Holy Quran. Why isn’t that questioned? And instead of always finding faults, have a look at the positives. There are temples in Kerala which are meant for the ladies. All the special prayers are done only for the women. Oh yeah, no one should praise good things, right?

Sure, be happy to bleed. Enjoy being a woman. No issues. But please, stop finding fault in an issue with a ‘feminist’ mentality or because it’s Hindu-related and think that everything is always against women.

47. Aneesh 6 months ago

What is pure, we don’t touch. And what we don’t touch, we call it a Taboo. She (a menstruating woman) was so pure, that she was worshipped as a Goddess. The reason for not having a woman go into a temple is precisely this. She is a living Goddess at that time. The energy of the God or Goddess which is there in the murthi (idol) will move over to her, and that (the idol) becomes lifeless, while this (the menstruating woman) is life. So that’s why they were prevented from entering the temple. So it is exactly the opposite of what we think”.

48. Simren 6 months ago

Tbh I can’t find a good reason behind you questioning a person who is obviously illiterate. Whatever impure shit he is talking about is obviously because he has no idea about how a human body works. He is an ignorant savage who is far from reality, and believes whatever suits him.

I would like to say this, it was brave of you to share this but I find that they are obviously not worth your concern.

49. Alija 6 months ago

Dear Biology Professor,

I see that you have an immense knowledge of biology. But what you need to perhaps work on is logic.
    Your comparison of menstrual cycles to urination and taking a dump defies all logic. (You could write to Christopher Nolan and check if he would like to make a movie on this one).

Oh well, going by YOUR LOGIC I should’t be writing this message now since I am on my period. Which hygiene conscious person would shit or pee in their pants and still keep typing. It just the same you see!

(If the Nolan thing doesn’t work out, try rewriting the biology syllabus. It’s a bit too boring now. But with you, we wouldn’t need to worry about our daily dose of laughter)

50. Vishu Menon 6 months ago

If the god born to two men has such dislike for women, I don't understand why any woman should ever want to go to his temple at all. By the way sir, all bleeding women are not 'virgins'. Also, there are Ayyappa temples in every town in India and many abroad and more women than men crowd the places. I wonder these are different Ayyappas than the one in the Sabari hills or that gods too change with places, but not with times.

51. Gokuldas 6 months ago

Age between 10 and fifty definitely is the period of menstruation. Restriction on entry to Sabari mala at this age is surely the question of purity. After why do you want to go to such aplace where the basic nature and physiology of human being is ignored and foolish and greedy people are sitting at the helm? blast with Sabarimala.

52. Gokuldas 6 months ago

Do not be stupid saying about traditions. What is the sastra behind impurity during mestruation? Donot you know anything about human physiologyIs a man prevented from entry into sabarimala if he “bleeds” (ejaculates) during sleep? Try to be realistic.

53. R Nayan 6 months ago

It's a total sham in the name of religiousness. God can't discriminate between man and woman. These cursed priests have earlier divided Hindu society in the name of caste and creed and now they have brought up this thing called gender. They are the real enemies of Hindu society, instilling all backwardness into the minds of people. They should be punished for such things. God is above this debate on 'pure' and 'impure'.
    And i suppose women are purer than man as they bring them to this earth. Oh nasty priest! Your mother and sister too were women.

54. Humpty 6 months ago

if you call comment of dheeraj a stupidity then why you supporting that girl here via this site why dont you go n protest insted sitting inside home, this is your disbelief so do bhakti n read granths online instead posting against hinduism,go to pakistan,those rules are not created by future persons like you or me,they are created by the lords n rishimunis so try keep your beak closed

55. Humpty 6 months ago

hahaha,funny reply,i like it

56. Humpty 6 months ago

so long comment, i appereciate ur patience

57. Humpty 6 months ago

i like this comment,thumbsup

58. Bala 6 months ago

Kudos to Nikita for standing up against this barbaric, cruel and senseless statement made by the so called GOD's agent.

59. Bala 6 months ago

You can't be a normal human being man!

60. Humpty 6 months ago

claps4u girl,i read all your comment again n again,its awesome n inspirational,that girl doesnt knows about religion,i learned a lot from ur comment,you are really ultimate girl,i want you like girl2b politician,plz share your mail id or skype id,i wanna ask you much more n that inspires me,i wanna ask you about life,religion,humanity n all…m also a hindu-bhramin

61. Hemant Kumar 6 months ago

Dear Aswin you don't know the history of lord ayyappa, History says lord ayyappa is married and wifes names are (Purna and Puskala) so he is not a bhramachari. and am also a devotee of lord ayyappa, i went sabarimala more than 20 years.

62. dhananjaya 6 months ago

vary funny :)

63. dhananjaya 6 months ago

very funny

64. Satish 5 months ago

Your correct boss. That fellow worse.

65. Satish 5 months ago

I do support you

66. Satish 5 months ago

Please remember that no Temple authorities will be God s agent

67. Satish 5 months ago

Super

68. Satish 5 months ago

Supersuper

Like Dislike
  69. Pingback: Temples In India: A Place For Everyone But Women | Indians 4 Social Change

70. Pingback: Women are demanding the right to worship at India’s temples | Yerepouni Daily News

71. Pingback: Hashtags and Helicopters: Women Fight for Prayer Rights - WXXV 25

72. Mathigil 3 months ago

First of all every Hindu should read Bagavat Gita then you’ll find whom to worship fully to understand what it told. Hinduism became a race nowadays. First find who is Hindu. I’m not orthodox. live like a human being.

73. Mandy 1 week ago

Comment *Hey guys i know i m new to comment in this blog but what i want to add on to your comments is that we should look at the positive aspects of this issue because everyone deserves respect. A woman is in all forms necessary fod mankind let it be mother, sister, daughter or whatsoever it may be…

By

Don't want to log in right now? Submit here.