YES WE WILL

Posted on November 15, 2008 in Politics, Society

-Anshul Tewari

Today I write this article not to criticize any person of his/her misdeed, not to write about the social evils or the unpolitical politics. I write not to criticize the communalism, regionalism or even sensationalism. But, I write to prove that even in dungeons where people die, in slums where people starve, on streets where millions sleep, at homes where people work not for themselves but to cover up their debts, in darkness where few have gone, FIRE burns in the hearts of people. People who do what they think is right, and rest is secondary, people who believe in themselves and in the power of democracy.

Our country is not short of heroes, it is just short of heroes taking up the initiative to do heroics. We do not need Superman, we need ourselves, recognition of what we are, what we can and what we will be.

We should never forget that whenever corruption has taken its toll, a Manjunath is born, to stand for what he believed in and make us realise that if he can, why can’t we? Whenever discrimination of any kind has taken place, people like Navleen Kumar have raised their voices and given their lives just to let us know that if she can, why can’t we?
When India was in the middle of the biggest epidemic, the nation came forward for one cause they stood for and that was INDEPENDENCE. If they can, why can’t we?
When a Jessica Lal or a Soumya Vishwanathan are brutally murdered, a nation assembles peacefully to demand justice.
When states like Pune face water shortage, a group of youngsters come forward to install two ferrocrete water tanks just to let us know that if they can, why can’t we? When a girl child is discarded by her parents because of her gender, millions come forward to let us know they care, and if they can, why can’t we?
When Indian cities are bombed, people of the same city work together to help others, just to let us know that if they can, why can’t we?
When the environment faces a near epidemic due to deforestation, movements like the Chipko Movement are started just to let us know that if they can, why can’t we?

A country where every moment a leader is born, where every moment a hero has emerged, but, where every moment A VOICE RAISED IS A VOICE LESS, where the meaning of group is not standing for each other, but only standing together as meer spectators, where we see an accident and run away from the sight, afraid to help, unaware of the fact that legally, when we drop a victim to a hospital no police has the right to question our presence. A country where WE, AS A PEOPLE CAN CREATE A CHANGE.

But before that we have to ask ourselves, IF THEY COULD DO IT, WHY CAN’T WE? Being a breed of young leaders, heroes and visionaries, can’t we?
YES WE CAN, AND YES WE WILL, NOT AS A SINGLE PERSON, BUT AS A SINGLE VOICE OF THE NATION, FOR THE NATION, BY THE NATION.
WE SEE CHANGE, WHEN WE STAND FOR WHAT WE FEEL IS RIGHT.

So can we?