Ragging In India: A brutal punishment for admission

Posted on March 15, 2009 in Society

-Anshul Tewari

Gone are the days when ragging was just about an introduction, a dance, a song or an interactive session. India has been shocked by two brutal school ragging cases within one week’s time, after one male student was beaten to death by his seniors last weekend while a female student attempted suicide after being forced to dance naked by her seniors early Friday, according to police.

A 19-year-old student of medical college died after being beaten by seniors last Sunday. Four students who allegedly ragged him have been arrested by police.

Aman Kachroo, a former Delhi Public School student who had taken admission in a medical school in Himachal Pradesh in northern India last year, had repeatedly complained to his parents about the brutal ragging by the senior students, who were often completely drunk when assaulting him, the police said.

On Friday night and Saturday morning, the boy was beaten so badly that he died the following day, said the police.

Days afterwards, a 20-year-old student of the Government Agriculture Engineering College, Baptala, attempted suicide early Friday after she was forced to strip and dance as part of ragging by her seniors. She was taken to the terrace at night and was abused, the police said.

These are just two of the most recent cases. Indian schools and colleges, especially the engineering and the medical colleges, have often witnessed cases of brutal ragging. Earlier in 2008, a case of an engineering college in Ghaziabad was highlighted, in which a fresher was forced to strip and was then hanged from the balcony of his seniors house.

Students of the well known institutions such as IIT, AIIMS, JNU and even the National Defence Academy, have faced a number of incidents of brutal ragging. The kids who have been convicted in various ragging cases have usually been from an influential background, which helps them in getting away easily or only with minor punishments. But, what about the children who suffer from this brutal crime? What about their dreams? What about their parents?

The insensitivity which is breeding in our minds is leading us into crimes and an angry behaviour. This is certainly not our culture and ethics. The question is that why do students from such reputed institutions commit such brutal crimes? Some experts say that due to a bullish past, the students tend to bully others, some argue that the domestic environment forces them to indulge into such acts, while some do it for fun. Whatever may be the reason, it is very clear that this act of barbarity needs to be termed as a serious offense and a proper legal course should be offered to students who have faced even minor injuries or mental torture.

What do you think about ragging? Is it a crime or just a way of fun? Post your comments and let your voice be heard.

REPORT THIS POST