YOUTH AND POLITICS: What Does the Youth Demand?

Posted on May 20, 2009 in Politics

-Anshul Tewari

Since after the declaration of the results the Indian youth are brimming with zest and energy. With over 75 percent of India’s population below the age of 45, the youth play a sizeable role in India’s development process and policy making. The political parties have now started targeting the youth as they play a major part in determining who will lead the country.

The outcome of the 15th Lok Sabha elections has made it clear that a major part of India’s youth population voted for Congress. The wait is for the new Government to be formed and roles to be assigned.

With the huge mandate comes huge responsibility for the Congress led UPA Government. Catering to the requirements of the aam aadmi will form a major part of their policies. But what is it that the youth demands?

What is it that they looked for while voting for the Congress? What are the policies that they might favor? From the election response, we can certainly interpret the youth’s verdict.

The young voters are now aware and do not want goons to rule their constituencies. Since after the election results the system has been cleansed. No rowdy goon was allowed to win the seat of an MP by showing his muscle power. This has made it clear that there is no way the youth will tolerate criminals in politics. They are very certain that a person with a criminal case is not eligible to be voted in.

The youngsters are forging ahead with ideas of capitalism and have considered development as a major factor deciding their vote. There is also a consensus among the youth favoring the development of the basic requirements such as infrastructure, job opportunities, roads and safety that are all the rubrics of development. “Take care of the small things and the big things will fall in place”, is the voice of the urban youth. “It is only when the grass root level is improved can we expect the higher levels to function properly”, says Radhika, a young voter. The policies like the Agricultural Loan Waiver Scheme and NREGA in particular and being able to contain the free fall of the economy in general have come as a relief and also a source of inspiration for the youth. The contemporary youth is demanding development and is not in a mood to favor anyone who does not favor development.

“The new government must listen to us. There must be a way by which we can voice ourselves and make it reach the top level. New spheres of opportunity must be opened and ways by which we can play a major role in the system must be developed”, says Radhika.

A better functioning and a more responsive government which not only listens to the youth but also implements their demands is the need of the hour. The youngsters are ready to take on politics and change the world.

Manmohan Singh recently mentioned “This new mandate comes with the challenge of rising expectations. The youth of India, inspired by the leadership of Rahul Gandhi, have voted in large numbers for our party. But I is in the nature of youth to be impatient. They will not tolerate business as usual. They expect us to work with renewed energy. They expect the Government to cater to their aspirations. They expect a more responsive government. ”

The youth are the future of this nation and the politicians have come to know that they will not take any crap from anyone.

If there is more that you would like to add to this article, leave a comment or mail us at [email protected]