Your Voice: Can We Ever Accept Nude Scenes in the Cinema?

Posted on August 7, 2009 in Society

Anshul Tewari

Censorship in India mainly targets religious issues. It is justified by the government as necessary to maintain communal harmony, peace and tranquility, given the history of communal tension.

The Constitution of India guarantees freedom of speech but places “reasonable restrictions” “in the interests of the sovereignty and integrity of India or public order or morality.” But the question here is that can India ever accept nudism and sexuality showcased on the cinema screens? If the “story” requires the nude scene, then?

Some media dealing with sex are frequently banned. Films, television shows and music videos are especially prone, however if any literature is banned, it is not usually for pornographic reasons. SavitaBhabhi.com was recently banned for diminishing the image of the Indian woman. But what followed was huge protests on various social media websites.

Censorship in India has often been questioned. Is the Indian Mentality ready for such a change? Will the religious gurus ever allow such acts to be displayed on our TV sets or the movie halls? Would it have a bad impact on our young ones? Should sex scenes which go with the story of the movie be treated as porn? Will we ever be broadminded enough to accept such scenes?

Have your say. What do you think about censorship in India? Will you ever accept such scenes? Have your voice. Post a comment below or mail us your voice at [email protected] You can also tweet us at http://twitter.com/YouthKiAwaaz

image: