In-Focus: Photography

Freedom of Expression is probably the best right bestowed upon us by the makers of law. Expression often leads to discussions, which further lead to innovations.

Recently, I came across a friend of mine who had been a little creative since school days, and was not that much into studies. Today, leaving us all behind, he is one of India’s finest wildlife photographers and conservationists. He says that photography is the best way he could express himself.

His photographs have often won accolades at an international level.

Keeping all of the above in mind, this week, the career we are focussing on is “Photography”.

Photography is more of a profession than a career. Thought to be a not-so-good job in the late 60’s, photography has now turned out to be one of the most sought after professions in India.

The phrase, “a picture speaks a thousand words” does not always state just a poetic expression. In reality, it is the crux of the art of photography, the aesthetic sense of a photographer and the picture as a personified sense, all combined.

Photography is an exceptional medium of self-expression. It is an art form that demands a sense of technical expertise. An individual who inculcates a hobby in photography can successfully make it profitable by venturing into professional photography, by taking it as a career option, also in the Indian context.

With the explosion of the communication network, the growth of advertising and media and the fashion boom, and digital photography, it has now become a profession with great commercial value. Photos are an essential part in both print and electronic media. So this is an area offering great scope for those who have an interest and attributes needed to be a professional.

Being a creative medium, photography requires more of inherent talent for success than formal training. However training hones the inherent skills and helps to shine in this competitive field with various specializations like portraiture, fashion and advertising photography, journalistic photography, wildlife and outdoors photography etc. Creating a commercial quality photograph requires the skills for choosing and presenting a subject in a way to achieve the maximum effect with the appropriate equipment.

One should have a definite know how of the angle, lighting and the latest equipments and technology to make a name in the field.

There are various types of photographies as mentioned below:
Special areas of work: Photographers have used their skills in the following areas :

1. Photojournalism – Photojournalists work for newspapers and news magazines who commission them to provide photographs of newsworthy events, things and situations. Photojournalists combine an ability to find and record dramatic action with photographic talent. The job requires agility and may often be carried on in hazardous situations. A high level of observation and alertness is required in the field.

2. Commercial photography – This branch involves photographing for several commercial segments such as merchandise , exteriors and interiors, machinery and fashions to be used in advertising and selling. A great variety of cameras, lights, props are used in commercial photography.

3. Advertising – In advertising, the challenge is in striking a balance between creativity and the client’s demands for conveying the desired message. The job offers tremendous scope for experimentation and creative skills.

4. Fashion – Fashion photography is one of the most lucrative forms of photography. Fashion photographers cater to a variety of clients, fashion houses, designers, portfolios for models, fashion journals and newspapers. They are required to have an eye for detail and knowledge of fashion . Fashion photographers are aware of styles, moods and fashion trends. The job is in the studio as well as on locations.

5. Food display- Food photographers work for food manufactures, hotels and restaurants, exporters, dairy and ice-cream companies. Photographs are shot either in a studio with an attached kitchen or in hotels for exclusive shots.

6. Industrial photography – Industrial photographers photograph workers on the job, machinery, industrial layout, prominent places in the industry etc. These photographs are used in company publications or for ad campaigns. Industrial photography demands knowledge of the industry as well as its equipment.

7. Wildlife photography – Wildlife photographers have interest in nature, wildlife, birds, and their habitats, keen observation,patience, an eye for interesting details and love for adventure. Animals, natural habitats and surrounding are photographed. Wildlife photographers have to wait for hours to catch the animals in the right mood and pose.The work is carried on in sanctuaries, forests and reserves. The task being challenging is very remunerative.

8. Aerial photography – Aerial photographs of places, buildings, landscapes, terrain which cannot be reached with ease, particularly during natural disasters, war and other similar situations are taken from aircraft in flight. These are used for news, business, industrial, scientific or military purposes.

9. Scientific photography – Photographic illustrations and documentation are used for scientific publications and research reports. The chief areas scientific photographers cover are engineering, aerodynamics, medicine, biology and chemistry. Medical journals and books carry photographs taken by specialists in this field who have both knowledge and interest.

10. Travel photography – The documentation of an area’s landscape, people, cultures, customs and history is one of the most sought after photography option. Especially in India.

Popular photographers in India have been Raghubir Singh Khatu, Raghu Rai, Iqbal Mohamed and many more who have left their marks on the sands of time.

Eligibility :There are no specific academic requirements for full time courses in photography, however, candidates who have cleared the 10+2 exam are eligible for the diploma/certificate courses in photography.

Job Prospects & Career Options: One of the most exciting aspects of photography is the variety of jobs available in the field, ranging from highly specialized, technical work to jobs that require creativity and Visual literacy.

Remuneration : Photographers can start working as assistants to senior photographers, in which capacity they are paid around Rs. 3,500 – 6,000. These days, photographers have packages of nearly Rs. 25,000 per month, and frankly, the sky is the limit.

Get your free copy of our eBook ‘Tips and Steps on How To Be The Change and Make a Difference’ now. Click here.

Recieve Youth Ki Awaaz news in your inbox. Subscribe now! Click here.

Supporters: SaveLife Foundation

1. Shari

Good info on Photography still there are many types in photography which we would like you all to know through our blog..We have started Shari academy blog. In this blog we are trying to enlighten the photographers with all the information provided on photography..so please take a bit of time and visit our site we would like to know your suggestions on our blog. thank you http://www.shariblog.com

2. saransh khurana

hlo m saransh from haryana. i m in 12th i m confuse which career is good for me. i like travelling and collecting information. plz tell me if travel photography is a good career for me

3. Ashok raj tirgar

I likes &. I am traiy to my cariear

4. EnventDigitalTechnologies

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this post.

http://goo.gl/BNsV0t

By Internshala

By Poorvi Tiwari

By Ranjit Kumar