Brain Drain: Are We Lacking Opportunities

India’s educational system is reckoned among the best in the world. The Indian system of education follows a smooth pathway from grassroots to perfection. The subject of worry for the developing and underdeveloped countries is Brain Drain.

Brain drain is also known as human capital fight. To put in simple words, the highly educated or well qualified people, after completion of their studies, migrate from their native countries to more developed countries for better job opportunities and a higher standard of living. This phenomenon adversely affects the particular country from which these various skilled doctors, engineers and scientists are migrating. These skilled fellows migrate from developing countries (for e.g. India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China) to developed countries like USA, UK and become a resource for the developed country instead of their own.

Countries like China, Pakistan and Russia are also facing problems of brain-drain. Inappropriate infrastructure, unemployment, financial constraints, political corruption, lack of opportunities, low standard of living, etc leads these fellows to migrate from their countries.

In India, the graduates, post-graduates and ‘specifically skilled’ students do not get the right opportunities to further develop themselves and are unable to secure appropriate jobs to earn an income equivalent to their talent. Even if they get a suitable opportunity, it’s abasing in their positioning and gives rise to extreme depression and difficulties forcing them to migrate from the country. With the dreams of development and in quest of better future, they leave their native land. This brain—drain is a major loss to our country.

But why do we lack opportunities? I do agree when people say India has a plethora of opportunities and lot can be employable. India has given brilliant talent to the world and it is a world-wide known fact that Indian brains are unparalleled. The main reason for unemployment is that the ratio of jobs to those seeking them is skewed. The skilled people do not get proper recognition and stimulus. This is because in India people still live with the dilemma that opting for engineering, information technologies, medicine and management are the only ways to have a successful career and lead a luxurious life.

Students have to show their mental prowess in this field to stick with their jobs. In India, people mould their interest and talents to fit their profile in engineering, medical and management. The talented people in archaeology, fine arts, performing arts, photography don’t get exposure in the professional field and it’s hard for them to survive. Majority of those who take up less developed streams, after completion of their intermediate level, opt for conventional career choices under parental pressure, peer pressure or due to the unfavorable employment scenario in their field of interest.

When there is such a dearth of favorable conditions, why won’t people migrate from an under-developed to a developed country?

For balanced progress and development of the country, it is very important to stop the phenomena of brain-drain. For this, country should build proper job opportunities, a healthy standard of living and provide incentives to hold these skilled professionals within the country. This cycle can only be reversed by collective effort of the country and its people.

Drop in a comment below or mail us at info@youthkiawaaz.com, you can also tweet us at @YouthKiAwaaz.

1. Azneo

As a member of the Indian diaspora, I believe that more than trying to keep the brains in the country the government should try to attract the diaspora back.

I feel this is a better way forward because to achieve standards of western education is going to take a while and will need the power of the Indian diaspora to achieve it. Also, the people who have been educated and have lived abroad for a few years have developed themselves in ways which living in India would not have been possible. We must try to get these developed people back in the country.

A recent initiative by CSIR was to bring Indian professors from abroad into our Indian research institutes. The scheme seemed to have recruited the number it had advertised but very soon the politics within these institution made these professors leave. We need to come up with sustainable ways of keeping these brains in the country. Reverse brain-drain is the way forward, I believe.

2. Netika

Though, I agree with every word you wrote, I mean, they are FACTS, I see no reason to DEBATE, per se, but despite lacking the vehemence in opposing this, I’d say that the scenario is not that bad after all.

Apologies for my lack of statistics, but mere obsrvation and awareness shows that the situationj is changing. Yes, the problem exists. But I don’t think that answer to the the problem is creating another problem for another country(I am referring to the REVERSE BRAIN DRAIN part). No offence meant, sir. The problem at hand is lack of opportunities. The answer is creation. The problem is dis-satisfaction. The answer is satisfaction. Today, there are more fields than opportunities known to us. How do I say this? If you do, why would you agree? Coz there are people opting for them, transforming these fields. The solution is widening the fields by creating these opportunities.

3. Sagar Vaidya

“country should build proper job opportunities, a healthy standard of living and provide incentives”
    Isn’t this a dream every country wishes to turn into reality? Interesting facts, but perhaps your article should focus more on detailed solutions rather than common rhetoric.

Regards

Sagar Vaidya

4. sachinkumar

Previously talking about 10 – 15 years ego India had no good resources and job placements, unemployment was the biggest problem but now really many job openings, industrially India had improved very far and many company from overseas has invested and investing in India and IT and other sectors has been such a big boom and job opening are always there and good pay and comparatively good life style to the developed countries like US and the European countries and u know more the 10% of the scientist in NASA are INDIAN imaging what contribution they would have done to India if they were here and so do the others fields~!!!
    WE would say stay India build our own heaven than searching for heaven else where~~!!!

2

Other countries are outsourcing jobs to India. Now India has many opportunities as Indian economy is growing fast. Standard of living has also improved over the years. Brain Drain is not the students practice. It is the situation exists in our country for around many centuries. Also students are in a situation to get marks higher and higher. They are going to home with book burden and not a thought of research.’ So this issue cannot be solved may be some minor changes can be done.

3
    The first impression which Western people will get is “Indians are brainy people. Their country does not know how to unleash their full potential.” India’s image, I honestly believe, deteriorates even more when people start thinking on these lines. I agree that the West is a very tempting place , and an opportunity to settle abroad is difficult to resist. But please do spare a thought for your Motherland , which has given us everything.A lot has to be done to make our Country a Superpower in the Global Arena.

4
    No brain drain is the fatal thing that is taking place in India now-a-days.By this we are loosing many intelligent wizards to other countries.By this we have loosed our Kalpana chawla and Sunita williams. They are very much proud in saying that they work for NASA but they are regarded as Indo-Americans and not as Indians. But there are also people like Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam who work only for the prosperity of India.All who have planned to go abroad for should change their mind and work for the growth of our nation.

5.
    The other aspect of the story is – Students who are going to US/UK,are not given admissions in good Universities there.They are treated as inferior as compared to local students.Indians will be offered some posts which would have been rejected by local people.
    In countries like-middle east-there are a lot of religious restrictions.
    Indians should think a lot before migrating to other country.
    6
    Some of the Indian students have faced a lot of problems in other countries.e.g a student in Australia from Banglore was considered to be related to terrorist activities & was sent back.
    Indian students should think properly.Career can be built up in India e.g See Dr A.P.J.Abdul Kalam & learn from him.He reached upto the level of President.
    Govt,senior officers,seniors in every field should try to stop this “Brain Drain” which will hamper India’s progress.Provide the best facilities,the best environment in India so that youngsters will stay here.
    7
    Some of the effects of brain drain on a nation are highlighted below;

1. It give rise to poor leadership and corruption;

2. Brain Drain makes it difficult to create middle class in the society, that is, the gap between the rich and the poor is very long; and

3. It also lead to lack of long term economic growth of any nation under this scourge; to mention a few.
    8
    Brain Drain is a very harmful factor for a poor country like as our India. If the meritorious brains goes towards the west or other countries, then how is it possible to develop our country? It is a true factor that many meritorious students want to work with a new technology, but this technology is not launched in India yet. For this reason the student should go further for study with the subject. But he will have to come back to India after completing his study and do somethig for India by the new technology. But who go to further for the more money and don’t come back to India as because there is less money in India, for them there will be certain steps , have to be introduced by the government.

By Silca

By Ankita Marwaha

By Ananya Tiwari