Can Third World Nations Develop Themselves On Their Own?

Sivapathan Silojah:

In third world nations, humans are in global connectivity whereas their ancestors sought for help to fulfill even basic needs. Now, individuals are more connected to each other. Availability of goods and services is increasing everywhere. International communication has developed and people interact with others easily and more quickly than ever. This worldwide network toward economic, financial, communication and transportation integration is beyond the boundaries of nations. These improvements are called in one name “globalization.” Globalization helps developing countries to compete with industrialized nations through technological advances. However, in the process of development, third world countries are about one century behind the developed nations. Why is this gap? The problems are poverty with insufficient resources, flop economy with corruptions and reoccurring of terrorism in decades slow down the growth of underdeveloped countries.

Are third world countries not in progress?

No, in spite of the political monopolies, difficulties in trade, huge debts and the ongoing invasions by the more powerful countries, developing nations are still trying to improve their standards. India’s Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee announced on 56th Independence Day, 2000, August 15; “Our country is now ready to fly high in the field of science. I am pleased to announce that India will send her own spacecraft to the moon by 2008. It is being named Chandrayaan-1.” This announcement is a symbol of the progress of the third world countries in science and technology. Another huge example is that of China whose progress has even surpassed many of the European countries.

In order to find a way to expedite the development, developing countries should find the obstacles of the improvement. When should a third world country pay due attention to its individual traditions, culture and civilization? The very first answer would be when they are free from the debts. Yes, third world countries are controlled directly or indirectly by the industrialized nations using the scales of debts and agreements. When a country borrows money from another country, the borrower ought to be dependent on the lender. The country which borrowed money should support the decisions of the giver in whatever case until the money is repaid. Moreover, borrowing money from developed nations for further development of poor countries is like making the situation even worse. The borrowed money will be never paid back because overpopulation, unemployment, poverty, depletion of resources, political corruptions and civil war will never allow the government to earn more than the money that is spent.

In most cases when the developing countries stand up for themselves, they face incredible violent oppression from foreign countries along with the threats of discontinuing the favors and the donations.

With a name of multinationals, developed nations are depleting developing nations’ resources. Some third world countries encourage multinationals to root their businesses so that the poor people can get employed, and the government can get vat. However, the truth is these multinational co-operations use all the natural resources and in return, pollute the environment and make poor nations dependent on rich countries for medical supplies for the new diseases caused by the pollution. For example, when 40-acre, Coca-Cola company started bottling plant in Plachimada, Kerala. What happened? Wells and water resources ran dry and people were unable to earn from farming. Primitive tribals and the untouchables were affected the most. Moreover, chemical effluents from bottle-washing contaminant have polluted the land and water resources.

By using third world nations’ man power, environment and natural resources, developed nations produce materials so cheaply. For example, Chinese productions in which China spends man power and natural resources are sold in the US in low prices whereas laborers in China are paid a little for their work. In addition, China’s formaldehyde production industry pollutes it’s surrounding. It is the poor people who suffer and live miserable lives as if they were the slaves to the developed nations.

Another great tragedy is most of the third world countries are concerning only about their military power. From their perspectives, if a country has nuclear weapons and great forces of troops, it becomes powerful and gets an identity. But they fail to realize that to a common man in the country a good lifestyle is more worthy than an

What could be done so that third world nations can develop their own identity?

Local political corruptions should be stopped, because these political instabilities are the reasons of increasing trend of illegal activities, smuggling, trafficking and terrorism. By promoting fair political practices, third world nations can speed up social reconstructions that give all people chances to get education, which will increase local industrializations so that people will not depend on the governments. At this point, governments can focus on economic development by increasing export and decreasing import. Developing countries should not allow multinationals to deplete the resources and should avoid borrowing money. To control overpopulation, governments should announce birth control programs and laws to limit the rat race among local people for employment and resources. Understanding all other cultures’ individualities is a good trend to abolishing local war. Then, automatically third world countries are in the process of finding their own identities.

The writer is a Bangladesh based correspondent at Youth Ki Awaaz.

1. Anonymous

Most of the communities in India (such as Bengali), are succumbed in ‘Culture of Poverty'(a theory introduced by an American anthropologist Oscar Lewis), irrespective of class or economic strata, lives in pavement or apartment. Nobody is at all ashamed of the deep-rooted corruption, decaying general quality of life, worst Politico-administrative system, weak mother language, continuous absorption of common space (mental as well as physical, both). We are becoming fathers & mothers only by self-procreation, mindlessly & blindfold. Simply depriving their(the children) fundamental rights of a decent, caring society, fearless & dignified living. Do not ever look for any other positive alternative behaviour (values) to perform human way of parenthood, i.e. deliberately co-parenting of those children those are born out of ignorance, real poverty. All of us are being driven only by the very animal instinct. If the Bengali people ever be able to bring that genuine freedom (from vicious cycle of ‘poverty’) in their own life/attitude, involve themselves in ‘Production of Space’(Henri Lefebvre), at least initiate a movement by heart, decent & dedicated Politics will definitely come up.
    – Siddhartha Bandyopadhyay, 16/4, Girish Banerjee Lane, Howrah-711101, India.