Raipur: The No Hustle-Bustle City

Kaushik Narasimhan:

There are 4 reasons as to how you would have come across the “city” RAIPUR.

1. You have a relative who works or studies there.
2. You are on a train travelling across the nation and find the words “RAIPUR JUNCTION” on peering through your window.

OR

3. You are a student trying to memorize the capitals of all the states in our country

Briefly introducing to those of you hearing the word “Raipur” for the very first time, Raipur is the capital of the state of Chhattisgarh. On the basis of ruins of a fort and other structures located on the southern part of the city, some historians believe that the city of Raipur was in existence since the last quarter of the 14th century. Raipur is among the richest cities & also is one of India’s biggest iron markets. The state of Chhattisgarh is presently governed by the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) one of the two main political parties of India.

Now, on a less dreary note, Raipur is certainly not a place that will capture your interest right away. As a matter of fact you should consider yourself lucky if it does anytime at all.

It’s a place where the stars are almost always absent, where the moon seems to blush orange in the night, where the locals find chewing pan a delightful pastime and quite possibly it’s the only city in the world where it could rain cats and dogs and you could still find yourself sweating profusely both at the same time.

Now, on questioning myself as to why I still continue living in this place despite its evident inadequacy to project itself as a habitable surrounding for peaceful and mutual co-existence just one phrase comes to mind;

“The freedom of choice”

Raipur may not be a lot of things but what it is, is a place as close to seventh heaven for the young and the restless in our country.

It might not measure up to the word “city” (reason as to why I have used the term “place” instead) but in today’s world I often wonder, do we really want it to? Today’s modern cities all have 3 things in common, heavy mind numbing traffic, pricey rates and most importantly they all lack a place to just sit, relax and listen to the dear mother earth, far far away from the hectic everyday life we all lead today.

It was only the other day last week that my friends and I drove our bikes to the mall (City Mall, one of the two malls in Raipur), watched a movie at innox, bought a few clothes from ADIDAS and decided to treat ourselves for pasta in a fine Italian restaurant for lunch.

Soon after lunch we let rip our bikes on a drag race on the all famous airport road, a beautiful stretch of ten kms with trees either side, a road so perfect, a place so silent, just me , my friends and our roaring engines paved way for an afternoon hard to forget.

And last night, my friends and I stopped for dinner after a tiring day. Hit by a financial crunch, we decided to enjoy our dinner on a fine dining inexpensive dhaaba on the streets, with truck drivers for company we sat and enjoyed our roadside toast.

Last night as I sat being served hot paneer butter masala and tandoori naan my eyes caught sight of a sleek Black imported car with the letter’s B. M. W stamped across the rear, cruise elegantly past the entry gate of the mall right opposite.

It was only then that the irony hit me. Today, we all live in a world where we all have to compromise on one thing for the other. One just can’t expect to lead a simple and calm life in a city, and neither can he set in search of brands to enjoy certain luxuries in a place else.

What Raipur offer’s is a unique recipe made to live life the way one wants to. Whether it be to watch a movie at PVR or to watch the sun set across the mountains, whether it be to enjoy a coffee with a loved one at café coffee day or to enjoy a silent walk .Whether it be to take pleasure to stand and stare at the BMW’S and AUDI’s parked amidst traffic signals or to take pleasure driving past them recklessly taking advantage of the negligent traffic rules Raipur has got it all.

But, I believe people should not come to Raipur unless they really have to, its certainly not suited as a tourist attraction, there are probably a million other places in our country better off for that purpose.

So, what is Raipur exactly?

The answer to that question brings me to the fourth category of people to which you belong if u have heard of the term “Raipur” before,

4. You have lived and loved the simplicity of Raipur, a home for everyone, a mystery for the bold and most importantly a paradise for the young and the restless.

The writer is a Raipur based correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz

1. rahul nagdev

n the 5th one could b dt it can probably change a skeptic to an optimist.
    gud one dude..

2. Cafe Coffee Day

The cafe at Raipur is lovely. Thanks for the mention 🙂

3. Saakshi

Nice! Presented with a different writing style and original thoughts! It was a good read.

4. Shoeb Rahman

Nice work dude, you have expressed feelings of Raipurians with way they love and live the city’s pride to be one and itself of kind. There is some more than just emotional aspects Raipur posses, it has all kinds of renowned universities in every field of education, be it either music, Law, engineering, Science, medical, Engineering , Arts, geology etc..You can say Raipurians are self contained. You may better know Raipur than me, but there are certainly much more than what you can call tourist places, but this places are more closer to mother Nature as are not exploited by commercialization as is common everywhere in India. You can see the oldest civilizations peeking through the statues as old as 1300 years in just 80km from the city(Sirpur). Raipur is also surrounded by a vast and varied wild lives, you can have a thrilling safari as it gives “freedom” thanks to the Forest dept. of state. As you have rightly said its a “paradise for young” but from my introspection, Life is much more than just heaven for older people’s here,you can see the peace and rest that fly in the wind of Raipur with the misery of view of people with 80 yrs traveling like goods in Mumbai’s local train. i just wanna say whatever and whoever you are the simplicity of Chattisgarhi people is what you can look out from Raipur.

5. RG

I have visited many cities and towns both in India and abroad. But most of my travel were work related. I am not a tourist. From what I read here, I seem to already like Raiput. Don’t be surprised if you find me there on my next visit to India.

6. abhineet

well written fact about raipur…njoyed a lot while reading the article..

7. Pranoti Kavimandan

Really nice work….have an interview at Raipur engineering college and thus, happened to go through this article.Lot of thanks to the author. Now i have a good and positive picture of Raipur. Looking forward to see the capital city.

8. Satish Ramteke

I totally agree with u.Being a Raipurian 17 years myself. I just love my city,u have really justified the city with ur post.

9. Deepak Venkateswaran

#Nostalgic.. Reminded me of my childhood days that were spent in Bhilai with weekly trips to raipur. 12 long years of bliss and wonderful lifestyle.
    And what makes Raipur beautiful i felt is the fact that its neither too fast as Mumbai or Delhi and neither too slow like a small town. Its got the right pace of life. And people there are really good ( at least better than where i live presently now).
    Good write up! 🙂

10. Swapnil Shrivas

Very well written but bro I want to add some other facts.
    * we are in India’s most emerging city.
    * we got IIM NIT NATIONAL LAW UNI AIIMS IIIT IIT.. No city in this country have all these together.
    * we got total 7 Malls mom. (not only two)
    * Asia’s largest botanical park.
    * central India’s biggest airport.
    * micro marine drive.

11. Amrita

For someone like me who recently shifted to Raipur, and since I had to leave my friends behind I already had grudges for this place.
    This article enlightened a ray of liking for Raipur, which might help to adjust here.
    Thanks!

12. mayank

WORST EVER PLACE TO INHABIT!!…i wonder how has the writer glorified this place just because it’s his native city….
    one the most expensive cities in India,even more expensive than the metros,price difference of above 50% sometimes…reverse in quality of products!
    almost non existent public transport
    fourth most polluted city in india
    DUSTY,DUSTY,DUSTY…all you get is dust every where,wipe …few seconds….again a layer of dust!
    people so dishonest….just about every body waiting to con anyone they can!…
    no street lights,vast stretches of dark roads
    the whole city sleeps by 7pm !
    no cultural heritage identity to talk about,no one has ever heard anything from this city!all that you see is a wannabe style ganesh chaturthi celebration..with stupid chhattisgarhi songs being played!
    such a boring place,no good restaurants,no weekend get aways,no greenery,only thorny bushes ,nude lands with soil erosion and dust,like it hasn’t rained since antiquity!
    weather is just too awful!….no rains,no winters,just a blazing sun 365 days a year!
    diificult to reach,poorly served by rail route,domestic airfares from raipur are ridiculously high!
    the author’s portrayal of Raipur as a perfect combination of fast as well as natural is utterly wrong!it is neither of the two!…no nature,no relaxation,not even a decent park to take a stroll and the least we talk about the so called malls of Raipur selling counterfeit products the better!

By હર્બનશ સિંહ ਹਰਬੰਸ ਸਿੰਘ हरबंश सिंह

By Anusha S

By Suvam Maiti