Ruskin Bond: The Legend

Apurva Desai:

The Midas Touch. Yes, that is what he possesses, because there is no other explanation for the mysterious way he transforms the mundane, dull things in our everyday life to something really exotic! I am hooked to Ruskin Bond since I read that poem of his “Grandma Climbs A Tree”. It was such an captivating poem, with simple things made larger than life, and so vibrant. I mean, we all have grandmas’, who have some or the other peculiar taste, but whose grandma wants to have a tree house and drink sherry? Tell me? Doesn’t it all sound so fascinating? The way he describes everything around me, makes me want to live his life, even if it is on a shoe-string budget!
Ruskin Bond was born in Kasauli in 1934. He lives in Mussourie right now. Ruskin Bond, born 19 May 1934) is an Indian author of British descent. He has lived in Landour, Shimla, Jamnagar, Mussourie, Dehradun and London. That explains the heavy usage of hills, mountainous terrains as backdrops for all his stories.
“Like an Indian bazaar itself, the book is filled with the smells, sights, sounds, confusion and subtle organization of ordinary Indian life.”
This is how his first book, The Room On The Roof, is described. It was written by him when he was just 17, and published when he was 21. His style of writing has always been influenced by his lifestyle and surroundings. I have never seen a more unique and simple writer than Mr. Bond. His works can be read and grasped by anybody! I mean the non-readers too! Ruskin Bond is smitten by the mountains. Even now, if you happen to go to Mussourie, you can find him, taking a stroll, just like any other old man. He doesn’t have those airs, like the other famous authors. He’s even won the Padma Shri in 1999. The mysterious, mellow, yet strong sense of writing is what captivates me. The stories “The Woman on Platform 8” and “The Train at Deoli” import you into some other world. The delicate woman, the way she mesmerises Arun in the story, is well, out-standing. The Train at Deoli, leaves you gasping for more, wanting to ask, “Hey, what happened next?”. I personally think, it’s a very mean task to make the plot enticing, in a short story. You have to give the detalis, yet not make it long, you have to keep in mind the concentration of your readers, not make it boring, and to top it all, make it dazzling. His tales are finely crafted, memorable and leave an imprint in your mind forever.
Nobody has achieved it more than him.
Ruskin Bond’s Works:
Short Stories:
The Woman on Platform 8
The Eyes Have It
Cricket for the Crocodile
The Blue Umbrella
Ghost Trouble
Angry River
Dust on the Mountain
A Guardian Angel
The Photograph
Death of a Familiar
The Coral Tree
The Kite Maker
The Window
The Monkeys
Chachi’s Funeral
The Prospect of Flowers
The Man who was Kipling
A Case for Inspector Lal
The Story of Madhu

Essays and Vignettes:
Life at my own pace
The old gramophone
A little world of mud
Adventures of a book lover
Upon an old wall dreaming
Landour days
Funny Side Up
A town called Dehra

Travel Writings:
Tales of the open road
Ganga descends
Beautiful Mandakini
On the road to Badrinath
Flowers on the Ganga
Roads to Mussoorie
The Road To Bazaar

Songs and Love Poems
Lost Love lyric for Binya Devi
It isn’t time that’s passing
Kites
Grandma climbs tree

AutoBiography:
Scenes from a Writer’s Life
It was published in 1997. In this book Ruskin Bond describes his life till its 21st year.

Drop in a comment below or mail us at info@youthkiawaaz.com, you can also tweet us at @YouthKiAwaaz.

_______________________________________________

Get your free copy of our eBook ‘Tips and Steps on How To Be The Change and Make a Difference’ now. Click here.

Recieve Youth Ki Awaaz news in your inbox. Subscribe now! Click here.

Supporters: SaveLife Foundation

1. mohit kumar sharma

its too boring

By Silca

By Ankita Marwaha

By Ananya Tiwari