Sustainable Development from Global Education: An Illusion

Sivapathan Silojah

The benefits of global education are conditional in eradicating poverty. Knowing what is really important in the process of wiping out poverty is essential to develop poor countries. There is a conviction often claimed that education is the most effective tool to diminish poverty in developing nations. This belief, however, should be changed to really understand what people seek for improving their living standards. Focusing only on education is not the best way to get rid of poverty when other obstacles like war and political corruptions remain barriers of development.

In developing countries, modern technology and global education have been introduced recently. Most employers prefer literate people as laborers, and depending on the job, required educational levels are different. It is argued that if people remain illiterate, they will not improve their living standards. But, to overcome their cruel enemy “poverty”, is providing global education to all people in a developing country enough? The answer is — absolutely not.

In a developing country, problems are in a network, and only a single solution cannot reduce poverty because it is connected with other circumstances. For example, Bangladesh is suffering from socio-economic issues, political corruptions, environmental issues, over population, unemployment, rural development, poverty, so on and so forth. For preventing poverty, improving educational sector will work, but a government cannot derive dramatic changes through education.

In case of education, when more people are educated, rat race among them will ensue; leading to unfair means and corruption. In developing nations, whoever has political and economic power will get suitable jobs while others lacking connections will still remain unemployed. Most developing countries are spending huge amounts of money on civil war. If civil war is stopped, the money spent on war may be used on development, and it can expedite the process of reducing poverty.

While developing countries are running out of land because of over population, developed nations seek educated workers from developing nations to get enough man power. Thus, developed nations give chances to people from poor countries to study abroad. By these activities, people can be educated, and those countries can get rid of poverty when their people become experts in economy, technology and almost every field. Even though these helping hands from developing nations and multinationals seem helpful, considering long term consequences of these activities, these are the reasons of worsening the situations in poor nations. Because of global education, well educated people from developing countries are immigrating to developed nations for higher studies. When they finish their studies, they prefer staying in developed countries for various purposes. Modern life and lack of job facilities in their own countries force them to stay in the host country. This brain drain is mostly wiping out man power and educated people from developing countries. Even countries that mostly have literate people are not developed and don’t stay out of poverty. For example, Zimbabwe’s literacy rate is 85% whereas India’s literacy rate is 65%. In contrast, India is more developed than Zimbabwe. Thus, it can be generalized that poverty can be eradicated by using the branches of globalization in different ways instead of sticking with educational scales.

To sum up, in developing nations, environmental issues, political corruptions, lack of resources, over population, unemployment, brain drain, civil war, health issues and other local issues are directly or indirectly expanding the hold of poverty. This network connection between problems should be dealt by long term but effective processes. Giving only education to all people is not enough to control poverty. There are lots of other factors to be considered and given first priority in order to eradicate the detriment of poverty.

1. Thaso

Hi Silo,
    great piece of writing. you brought up a really good topic. Keep it up. waiting to see your Next writing.! best of luck!

2. silo

Thanks Thaso for wishes.

3. Rahul

I just stumbled upon this article from google. It’s nice 2 c that the Indian youth is spurning an active underground revolution instead of being mere bystanders in a largely corruption ridden society.This article is well written but incomplete from some aspects as 2 how other developing nations are coping up with such problems, what r other countries doing to reverse the brain drain, what we lack in India that we fail 2 reverse this trend, and how can Indians educated abroad be more useful if they do return 2 India?

By Ananya Anand

By Snigdha Gupta

By Namrata Vijay