Save Our Tigers!

Rudrani Das Gupta:

1411 has become the newest catchphrase on the Indian billboard. Cute pictures of little Stripey the cub warms our hearts every time we see them. And in the midst of it all, Aircel is basking in the limelight which even low call rates had failed to achieve. Countrymen are being entreated to spare a thought for the tiger by Facebooking and Tweeting. A lot of questions are being thrown up by this media blitz. Is the Save the Tiger campaign a publicity stunt for a telecom company who still cannot match up to the giants, namely Vodafone and Airtel? Are the top men at Aircel genuinely thirsting to save the national animal?

There is another very interesting possibility that can be taken into consideration. Corporate Social Responsibility is a newly developing trend in India. Major corporations tying up with social causes is not a recent phenomenon but it is slowly seeing the light of the day here. For example, Idea is currently saving trees. It is definitely a win-win situation. Grab the eyeballs (in this case, the ears) and chalk up some good karma points at the same time.

Atindriyo Chakravarty, a law student feels that this campaign heralds the beginning of the CSR trend in India. However, according to him, it is doubtful as to whether the campaign is reaching people living in rural India, and who are more likely to bump into a tiger than a company executive in New Delhi. The campaign is almost exclusively in English and depends largely on the Internet for publicity. People are being asked to join Facebook groups and visit the website to root for the cause. This leads to the question: What concrete steps can you and I take to try and save the tiger? According to Save The Tiger website, one can “spread awareness” and/or “join NGOS” and so on. Haven’t these steps been outlined ad nauseam over the last few decades? Have all the tiger projects managed to prevent the number from dwindling to the widely publicised 1411? This campaign has nothing new to offer other than exploiting the newly emerging forms of online social networking. Is that going to prevent poachers in a far off land from slaughtering the tiger? Will it make sense to a man who kills them for income? The answers to these questions are yet to be answered.

How is Stripey the cub reaching the target audience in the rural areas of the country? Or is it that all the good-doers in India live in metropolitan cities? Will tweeting and opening groups on Facebook reach the poachers who are mostly responsible for this act of slaughter?

1. Dr.Rajan Bhonsle

Hi,
    Sharing a Wonderful article by Dr.Minnu R.Bhonsle on SAVE OUR TIGERS. The link is given below.
    Share this one with all your friends to create awareness about SAVE OUR TIGERS
    http://completewellbeing.com/article/tiger-trail/
    Regards
    Dr.Rajan Bhonsle

2. Aakriti Gupta

Hi Rudrani,
    Your article sure puts into words some questions which I’ve myself had in my mind for some time now. The big corporations, in the name of “SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY” have been playing with the general populace, and the latest campaign is just another example.. Before launching a campaign of such magnitude, the company should’ve first thought about how these funds could’ve been better utilised, for use in really SAVING the tigers, rather than playing them on national television to harp on people’s hearts.. ALL for a good cause, they say!
    Good for the company, or the tigers?

3. poorvi

hi,
    i think it is the responsiblity of every citizen of the country to save tigers let they be our national forever

4. jaya

We broke into a poacher network and found one tiger is killed every two weeks…(Courtesy Tehalka Magazine)

From Tehelka Magazine, Vol 7, Issue 51, Dated December 25, 2010

Wake-up call for Project Tiger?

The Indo-Nepal border. Dangerous men. Small hideouts. And rampant trade. MANMOHAN GUPTA and VK SHASHIKUMAR spent two risky months in the field to capture poachers on camera. Will the government take action now?

By Soumya Sinha

By Krithiga Narayanan

By Ali Qalandar