Decision Making: Rational or Emotional?

Md Khasimul Asif:

Why does the foolish heart win over the smart brain?

A dilemma every man has is whether to follow the head or the heart. Critical decisions require the efficient functioning of the grey cells; not emotions. Many contemporary examples show us the way our people get instigated, the reason being that we give more importance to emotions and feelings over skeptical and rational thinking.

If Raj Thackery and K.Chandrashekhar Rao could (allegedly) move the masses into wrong thinking and create a havoc in the country, I would blame the human emotional instinct which domineered its mind. The point is not to criticise their school of thought because every man has a unique style of thinking, but when he is able to convince a mob, it means he has hit the bull’s eye. Why did students commit suicide for the cause of Telangana? Why did people burn buses and pelt stones at politicians?

The hardcore feeling in the people was beyond their control and this was the way they revolted. The earlier example was similar. Human feelings and actions are sometimes baseless. To keep oneself on the righteous path, man developed the concept of religion and quoted certain guidelines to follow which are ideal means to lead a life. However over time our people got so involved in it that they started amending the so called constitution of their religion, bringing baseless theories into it and making man’s life a mess! I didn’t intend to say that man was so jobless to do such things but he got carried away by the then existing feelings and devised some new senseless (that is when the human upper storey should be vigilant but unfortunately it wasn’t) rules making religion tough to practice and instigating people like me to analyse them and write long articles if this genre.

Our brain tells us that we are a proper blend of flesh and blood but the heart brings in the concepts of spirit, conscience and many other aspects. If these are prevailing among the masses its only because man started listening to his heart before mind. The example of Adam and Eve suits this discussion. Note that brain has to be given importance over heart only when it has to be given. Ability to find those situations is also something one should develop. Getting practical is sensible not in all situations.

Heart tells us to live passionately. The feelings of determination, will power, perseverance, etc. all come under its domain. Of course its your ability of coordinating all these feelings and working in harmony with mind that makes you successful. Its not SILLY to follow the heart but its the brain that calculates the price you may have to pay for your actions. When one does not let either of them function properly in these situations of decision making, we see people either curbing their feelings by not following their heart or making a blunder because they did not heed to their mind which already cautioned them.

This simple phenomenon makes every human being unique and when the balance of the two organs is disturbed we get to see people trying to seek dominant places in the newspaper headlines, committing disturbing acts and atrocities in the society. That is (probably) how our dear criminals are born

Ultimately it boils down to what Howard Martin said-

“Creating a joint venture between head and heart puts a power pack behind your goals. Getting your head in sync with your heart and harnessing the power of coherence gives you the energy efficiency you need to achieve changes that haven’t been possible before. The head can notice what things need to change, but the heart provides the power and direction to actually bring about the changes….”

The writer is a correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz and also a student at BITS Pilani.

1. LavaKumar

First things first: when we talk about decision making, its only the head that is involved, my friend. There is no heart, albeit you might want to defend it as figurative speech (bull shit, no arguments please). Students of science, making scientifically incorrect statements can be hurtful to our community (scientifically, it is the left or right brain that takes over in the decision making…for more info google things out, you might gain some more insight.)

Secondly, if you are finding it troublesome to comment on social issues, please dont do it, because apparently the final line of the 3rd para reflects your helplessness.

Telangana issue is one of great speculation and requires much scrutiny before coming to any goddamn conclusion. It requires much research at least by our generation and try to fathom the real problem. (I am not for, or against the formation of telangana state, but incidentally, Nehru had something to say on this and I would like to paraphrase him…telangana has been denied by the imperialistic expansionists of the Andhra region….and hence this calls for much debate.)

If the crowd can get swayed, just by the words of some politicians, then we have to pity ourselves for such a disgraceful turn of events. We as a society have failed to produce individuals of intellect. Some moron cannot decide the fate of many. Atleast this is what many people believe in, I hope or else let Providence (if there is one) do his business.

Ultimately it doesn’t boil down to what someone says. The future course of action rests and should rest only on the individual and his conception of the kind of society he wants to live in.

2. koushik mohan

Oh Yeah! look some Dude`s speaking words of wisdom here.you know what??
    you give nice reviews Mr.lavakumar but there`s serious problem with you dear.
    being student of science,you ought to be clear with your concepts and give enlightening bhashans later,okay.know what? Mr.lavakumar.
    you are suffering from serious disorder,i suggest you to go for Rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT), previously called rational therapy and rational emotive therapy,asap,for your good only.
    REBT commonly posits that at the core of irrational beliefs there often are explicit or implicit rigid demands and commands, and that extreme derivatives like awfulizing, frustration intolerance, people deprecation and over-generalizations are accompanied by these.i could very well observe these symptoms in you.
    (for more info google things out, you might gain some more insight,yours words only dear,i think google is of much use for you from now)

Coming to point,this site serves as mouthpiece for the youth,it`s about creating awareness among the youth, encouraging them to take the initiative to make a change and to spread awareness but also gives them a platform to express themselves, rightly, of the youth, for the youth, by the youth.noones here to debate out things,this is just a platform to express thoughts of young bloods fearlessly.

And thereby,kudos to the author,for freely expressing his thoughts and supporting us on our mission.it was really thought provocative post and we look forward for some more posts from you sir,Md khaismul asif.

And with you,lavakumar,get yourself cured first ASAP.we also pray God to offer you sanely thinking.
    Get well soon,Dear.
    And mind you this ain`t the stage to showoff yourself,try some other stage plz.

(BTW read about article 19,freedom of speech and expression in part 3 of constitution of INDIA.being students of science doesn`t mean to get your civics and social studies up your arse,understand)

Koushik Mohan,
    Assistant Editor,
    Youth Ki Awaaz: Mouthpiece for the Youth

3. asif

@lavakumar:thanks for your comments.Good to see that you spent decent amountof time in reading this article and writing a comment longer than it :P.However i fear this outright criticism is not good for you.You could not make out the intentions of the writer and went about cursing him when the article was written pondering over the illogical suicides committed by youth of our age for stupid reasons.It is good that you had analysed enough to find faults with my school of thought but i am disheartened to see such emotional cases and the article was for those feeble minds.Sorry if my writing did not meet your expectations and please learn to put your point across politely.

4. LavaKumar

“Rational emotive behavior therapy focuses on uncovering irrational beliefs which may lead to unhealthy negative emotions and replacing them with more productive rational alternatives.”

If you think the comments that I have made are irrational then I surely believe that Rationality is quite overrated in your mind and I think you desperately need some help!!!

Whatever, the whole fight is all about!! If you think I am trying to enforce my ‘musts’ and ‘shoulds’, I am afraid the present situation sure does require some more guys like me, if I am not being too proud. Whatever REBT is all about!! Such therapies are for guys who dont give a damn about themselves or the society. When our country and our world is confronted with problems of war, poverty and deplorable economies and of course the biggest of them all, Climate Change you terming my behavior as Irrational is pitiful and thoroughly disheartening.

THERAPY’S, are you kidding me?

I thoroughly appreciate your efforts for working(acting) as the self proclaimed mouthpiece of the Youth, but this aint gonna help the cause unless there is a mass stir. Do you really think people are going to appreciate your work?? Ahem i think not!!! Who wants awareness, information is all around. I bet a youth goes through a lot of shit everyday, and I bet he is also aware of all the things, but has he the conscience to take all the things in the right spirit and make a constructive change. AWARENESS!!!! overrated!!!

My expression of anxiety, intolerance, frustration is totally justified by the very article you suggested: article 19,freedom of speech and expression in part 3 of constitution of INDIA. If I am commenting on the authors integrity, its only a legitimate move I am making to help evolve a common understanding and save his grace.

CRITICS OR SCEPTICS ARE THE CONSCIENCE OF THE SOCIETY, IF YOU LABEL THIS CONSCIENCE AS NEUROTIC AND PSYCHOTIC, IT ONLY GOES TO SHOW THE NARROW AMBIT OF YOUR COGNIZANCE AND RATIONALITY, my friend!!

If you had the foresight for such an ugly and useless discussion interspersed with personal angst for me, you wouldn’t have posted my first comment on this page in the first place. But I am glad you did, and protected the articles and the websites integrity!!

And finally, students of science, I am afraid are undeniably an informed lot. If you perceive my understanding of social structure and civic sense as a narrowly observed science, then you have grossly underestimated sciences and their universality.

So it is with this great grief and saddened sense of things that I have to close my comment.

“The sanity of society is a balance of a thousand insanities.”

– RALPH WALDO EMERSON

If you cant stomach this truth, I am afraid running this website can only be matched to an Essay Writing Competition for the 6th grade students.

5. YouthKiAwaaz

@Lava Kumar: This website stands for freedom of speech. I would urge you to talk to the writer via comments about the article and not about the website. If there is something you disagree with then try and maintain the decorum.

The same goes for all. Thanks!

6. Ravi Goyal

*The Indian Youth…*

By Debarati Sen

By Jyotsna Richhariya