We definitely have heard this term before and we have been exceptionally successful in ignoring it. Let me first technically define it.
Global Warming is defined as The progressive gradual rise of the earth’s surface temperature thought to be caused by the greenhouse effect and responsible for changes in global climate patterns. An increase in the near surface temperature of the Earth.
In short the more lavishly we live our life, the more we end up destroying the earth. Now what exactly is responsible for global warming? Or we can frame the question this way : “Why are humans being held responsible for global warming ?”
It’s simple. The extra facilities we use are not just expensive in terms of money. Its costs us much more. Consider a car, air conditioner and many such commodities. These are highly responsible for global warming. These equipments give us pleasure at the cost of environment. These commodities release many toxic gases which deplete oxygen level from atmosphere and thus increase the overall temperatures. So the increasing temperature and depleting rainfall is just a small step towards a huge game which nature is playing with us. The game is called as PAYBACK and it will end with the destruction of The Earth. And this is not just an assumption. There are many facts which prove this:
Average temperatures have climbed 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit (0.8 degree Celsius) around the world since 1880, much of this in recent decades, according to NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies.
– The rate of warming is increasing. The 20th century’s last two decades were the hottest in 400 years and possibly the warmest for several millennia, according to a number of climate studies. And the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports that 11 of the past 12 years are among the dozen warmest since 1850.
– The Arctic is feeling the effects the most. Average temperatures in Alaska, western Canada, and eastern Russia have risen at twice the global average, according to the multinational Arctic Climate Impact Assessment report compiled between 2000 and 2004.
– Arctic ice is rapidly disappearing, and the region may have its first completely ice-free summer by 2040 or earlier. Polar bears and indigenous cultures are already suffering from the sea-ice loss.
– Glaciers and mountain snows are rapidly melting–for example, Montana’s Glacier National Park now has only 27 glaciers, versus 150 in 1910. In the Northern Hemisphere, thaws also come a week earlier in spring and freezes begin a week later.
– Coral reefs, which are highly sensitive to small changes in water temperature, suffered the worst bleaching–or die-off in response to stress–ever recorded in 1998, with some areas seeing bleach rates of 70 percent. Experts expect these sorts of events to increase in frequency and intensity in the next 50 years as sea temperatures rise
These statistics are enough to scare the living day lights of a person. But are we actually trying to improve ?? This question, we need to ask ourselves. It is our planet ,our home , our life. We have o take some precautions. As per me this is the least we can do :
Don’t drive to the nearest areas.
Cutting trees will further anger Mother Nature.
Avoid wasting electricity.
Be economical while operating air conditioners and geysers .
At this point I am trying to put in practice these minimal steps. But we alone cannot make any progress. It has to be a joint effort and we need to think seriously if we want to avoid the impending doom currently present on our head !!!