Justice For Nirupama Pathak: Vigil Coverage by Youth Ki Awaaz

Kumar Ankit reports from Jantar Mantar:

Today at Jantar Mantar around 300 people took part in a candle light vigil protesting against the murder of Nirupama Pathak, a reporter from Business Standard and an alumnus of the prestigious IIMC. The motive was to seek justice for the Journalist who was found murdered in her home town Tilaiya near Koderma in Jharkhand. The protesters were demanding a CBI inquiry of the case as the Jharkhand police has so far tried to press down the case.

The protesters were mainly students from IIMC, DU and Jamia Milia. They carried placards of the slain journalist and posters reading “we want Justice for Nirupama”.

Anand Pradhan, one of the organizers told Youth Ki Awaaz, “we want a CBI inquiry in the case because Jharkhand police role has not been clear as it is trying to misled the whole case”. He further added that if any action is not taken then “we will march from press club to the home ministry”.

A student from IIMC, Anand said, “We want justice as soon as possible”. He further said that in this case “we are witnessing an attack on rights enjoyed by youngsters and that must not happen.” He added that a thorough investigation is needed so that truth comes on the fore front.

A teacher from IIMC demanded that the case must be shifted from Jharkhand because the police there is trying to give the case a color of suicide. He stressed that the postmortem report is clearly indicating that the reason for the death was due to smothering and she was pregnant by 12 weeks.

The students raised slogans against the family, Jharkhand police, caste-culture allegations, honor killing and suppression the issue. They demanded that false cases against Priyabhansu must be taken back.

Neelam Katara, who fought a long battle for her son Nitish Katara who was murdered in 2002, joined the protest and addressed the gathering. She addressed the media saying “that we must not call this kind of brutal killing as honor killing”. She advised the print media to not highlight the caste of the victim in bold letters. She said that the letter of her father said it all. She added “we must fight for Nirupama, so that no other Nirupama faces the same situation”.

The place of the protest was changed to Jantar Mantar from India Gate due to official reasons.

Pathak, a reporter at Business Standard was in love with her batch mate in IIMC and was in a live-in relationship were planning to get married, but destiny has something else to tell. The family disapproved the relationship and insisted that she has committed a suicide.

Jharkhand Police has filed an FIR against the boyfriend Priyabhanshu Ranjan who is from Darbhanga. The cases are under different sections of the IPC, including sexually exploiting Nirupama, misleading her and forcing her to commit suicide.

Youth Ki Awaaz also got the opportunity to do video coverage of the event. Please keep yourself updated with our upcoming posts to view the coverage. You can find the coverage starting today at http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/topic/trackingnirupama

Supporters at the vigil
At Jantar Mantar

Supporters of Nirupama
Supporters of Nirupama at Jantar Mantar with placards reading "justice for Nirupama"

More photos and videos coming soon!

1. ranjeet kumar

kumar ankit your report is really great. but friend are the family of the girl brutal cold blooded killers . further when the case is still under investigation is it right to write she was murdered.i feel sorry that you have no account of her family back home. they are revered brahmin family highly educated what about their agony pain and trauma.opinions can not be facts.
    priyabhansu ranjan is a clean guy who are we to decide when the person does not have courage and says in media that he was unaware of Nirupama pregnancy is this not funny.dear is this what an attack on rights enjoyed by youngsters means then at least i do not support the view at all.
    we want justice as soon as possible is quoted is it a maggi noodles. let the investigation come out and have faith in constitution.impartial investigation and justise is the need of the hour let us not sympathize but empathize.

2. sahana

this is not honour killing this is “killing honour”,killing the honour of youth and love just because they are respected family does not mean they have to force their children to be slaves to their beliefs.She is full grown adult and has every right to decide about her life.
    they are “respected family” means what? respected by whom? by people like themselves who will be killers to save their respectability?
    by people who believe in caste gothra ?
    if such people had their way india wud still be in medieval age with sati system still in practice?
    they have no respect for the feelings thoughts and opinions of their own children, brother and sisters?
    they dont have real love for their children ?only care about their own “respect”?
    what happens if they lose respect?will they be killed?
    will they die of starvation?
    no
    they only have to listen to some comments?
    thats all
    nothing more, no ones going to cut off ties-relations with them,times have changed people have changed,there are always people who will not believe in these things they can have relations with such peple instead of killing their daughter,thye can sell off their property and go live in other city or in metro where no one cares,instead of killing.
    but at least their daughter will be alive

3. Tejashwi Aaryan

@Sahana and All
    abt supporting elopement

All those who are against of parents in dis case, could u tell me honestly if ur sister would have illicit relationship wid smone (3 month pregnant), would u welcome her….say gr8 work u did my sister/daughter…. would u say ? Be Honest……. She was wrong…. she was extremely Selfish and Characterless ,loose-morale….. such person need to exterminate…. its right to kill such person….. these person r black-spot on the name of civilized society….. U all r hypocrites who advocates elopement and illicit relationship….. illegal sex……
    if ur sister/daughter would have illegal sexual relationship… den ur heart would be in problem while u r easily giving ur so-called progressiveness/modern-value based preaching to others….. such type of person having such double-standard are called BASTARD…..
    no-one sud interfere in anyone’s (family) personal affairs….. A family lost her well-settled daughter because of her fault only…. and now u r supporting that her family sud loose some more person either suicide or jail…… n u call urself LIBERAL….. its the cruelty and its same as TALIBANI does….. imposing ur value(which ur family too don follow) to other family…..EXTREMIST MODERNIST(so-called) same like as Extremist TALIBANI

Does love means wid any boy/gal against ur family…..
    love means love wid ur parents too…… love wid nation too….. etc… (u cud understand it)

secondly./… love doesnot mean marrying and having illicit sexual relationship…..

u love ur father does it mean u will marry wid ur father….. u love any building/scene etc… does it mean u marry wid non-physical th…..

never hav il-logic….. western influence………….
    person muct obey his/her family…. u cud hav millions of options as well as boy/gal is concerned bt u cannot hav alternative of parents…..
    so always believe in mutual consent 4m both sides…..

caste/religion watever class…. if ur parents follow it , u too sud follow it and if u don believe in it….. u leave ur child abt it……

moral of the story…… u follow ur family and u a/c to ur value/belief , let ur child follow….. simple…… u/ur family both would be happy….

secondly….. if u hav 3 option….. 1-> boy/gal suits u bt not family
    2-> boy/gal suits ur family, not u
    3-> boy/gal suits both of ur family n u

which option is best….(3) option is best…… Think widout any western biased….

we hav to live in dis society only, and societal change (even if its +ve) takes some times, so we sud hav enough patience and wen time would be accordingly we sud initiate any such action..

I respect all others opinion , m just keeping my views before others, i don believe in imposing my value over others but i hav my right to approve or dis-approve anyone action….

Also, its not the matter of Medieval-Age or Modern Age and it sud not be. its matter of right or wrong (dat too depends upon the person’s perspective)
    Thought and Action changes abt any issue time-2-time,place-2-place, in every age there has been some thoughts/principle which was right/wrong/trade-off(for some its right for sm extent , n wrong for some person at some extent ), so out of those all thoughts we need to choose someth which is right no matter whether its originates in medieval age or So-called Modern age…

Medieval Age: Neuton, Scrondinger,BHAKTI-MARG(Devotion based sect), alot of scientific incidents, a lot of such social incidents which causes our present societal system…..

besides there are alot of -ve th too like SATI-PRATHA,IMPERIALISM,UNTOUCHABILITY etc…..(untouchable issue originates post Maurya-era ),DEVDASI etc…..

similarly in Modern Era: Greed, Promiscuity ,Selfishness, Materialism, Global Warming/-ve Climate Change due to present Blind materialism, immorality, WMD(war of mass destruction e.g. nuclear weapons, chemical/biological weapons etc..), not respecting elders, no love just physical relation based relation etc…..

so……. don use Medieval or Modern word…rather use Right/Wrong word….. dere r lot of th which ws better in Medieval Age…. and there r lot of thing which is better in present era….

God Bless U!!!!!

4. Tejashwi Aaryan

There is nothing absolute in his world.
    Most time you have to identify yourself with the the surrounding.the society you live in.
    Laws of nature are understood solely by some rarefied people.
    Nature hardly spare any one who breaks her law.
    That’s why nature punished you,
    and every one will be punished in the similar way.

5. sri pal kanchan

first of all i would like to say that if anybody is loving a boy or gal does that mean that the parents would kill the gal. is killing a right way in any sense, are we living in taliban where we do not have freedom to choose and speak…secondly hw could we say that the gal was wrng. i am nt supporting sex before marriage but can anybody tell me that if two person who are mature enuf and are financial independent so that they can afford a living so who are we to stop them.

6. Kumar Ankit

Dear tejwasi, I asked this question several times to myself, but each and every time i got only one answer and that is I would have allowed them to do it because it is their own life, they are mature people and are independent now and most importantly they have committed no crime by loving each other. How can u say that she was characterless, she went Koderma just to make their family agree but in return she got killed.Her family advocated Sanatan dharm and bramhan philosphy but i would like to ask that in which books of santan dharam it is written that Killing someone is correct. At the end i would like to say that what Nirupama did was in no way correct but killing her was not the solution, her parents were no doubt living in a backward area and that is why they didnt took the matter in a better way but Killing was not the way because somewhere down the line if they were ready to send their child to study in IIMC the best Institute of the country, then they should have given Nirupama a chance.

7. sahana

Dear Tejaswi,
    you are strongly in support of nature.
    there is nothing natural about marriage tell me where in nature you find marriage.
    you are talking about +ve and -ve of medieval times but you talk about only -ve of modern times.Why?
    you are telling me what i wud have done in their place.
    I have already answered that question
    “there are always people who will not believe in these things they can have relations with such peple instead of killing their daughter,thye can sell off their property and go live in other city or in metro where no one cares,instead of killing”.
    If you asking what i wud do in my place it is different,I live in a metro city, i believe my responsibility begins and ends when my daughter reaches 18 until then I can teach her explain to her what is right and wrong for her good and bad etc ,maybe people may even punish and discipline till then,maybe even brainwash,but personally i dont agree with such methods,all this they shud do only till 18.After that age they are adults and shud know whats right and wrong etc.If they dont its parents fault not children’s.
    In cties esp., metros children are very fast and they know what and how to survive esp., these days.they have lot of exposure media tv n internet.

8. sahana

tejaswi:
    “U all r hypocrites who advocates elopement and illicit relationship….. illegal sex……”
    supreme court has ruled that pre-marital sex is not illegal as in the Khushboo case,
    so who are you to call it illicit or illegal are you the “khap panchayat”.

hypocrites are those who indulge in post marital sex and pretend it does’nt happen
    both men and women who cheat on their wives and husbands.
    hypocrites are those who marry against their own will wish and liking and suffer all their lives in silence,suffer a life of slavery and lies and then call it non physical love

9. sahana

Tejaswi you say :
    “if ur sister/daughter would have illegal sexual relationship… den ur heart would be in problem while u r easily giving ur so-called progressiveness/modern-value based preaching to others….. such type of person having such double-standard are called BASTARD….”.
    peopke who try to force their views upon others by calling people by words like bastard are the real BASTARD they dont have any manners and culture.To call other people BASTARD without any provocation No wonder such BASTARDS go around murdering people who don’t subscribe to their views.

“if ur sister/daughter would have illegal sexual relationship… den ur heart would be in problem while u r easily giving ur so-called progressiveness/modern-value based preaching to others”
    Absolutely not you are obviously living in some small town either physically or mentally.In metro cities people are living together for years including my sister,
    without marrying.In cities if you dont have a boyfriend/girlfriend theres something wrong with you.
    Today we have contraceptives both for men and women to prevent pregnancy as well as abortion to take out unwanted pregnancy.

10. sahana

Priyabanshu says he didnt know she was pregnant,he is obviously speakng the truth
    because if they both knew that they would have either married immediately are gone for an abortion she wud not have gone to her village to waste any more time convincing her parents.
    she was not that modern enuf to have baby without marrying.
    12 weeks pregnancy is possible not to know,in some case peple didnt even after 3 mths and in some rarer cases even after six months.

11. sahana

“no-one sud interfere in anyone’s (family) personal affairs….. A family lost her well-settled daughter because of her fault only…. and now u r supporting that her family sud loose some more person either suicide or jail…… n u call urself LIBERAL….. its the cruelty and its same as TALIBANI does….. imposing ur value(which ur family too don follow) to other family…..EXTREMIST MODERNIST(so-called) same like as Extremist TALIBANI”
    no one is interfering in anyones family matters,but no one has right to murder even their own family member.
    If somebody murders they have to be punished,even if it istheir family,what do you suggest let them go scot free after murder.
    Next thing you know peple will start murdering their own parents also in the name of “who knows whose honour”

Killers never commit suicide they only kill others.and if they go to jail it will be thru a fair trial in a court of law.How can you call our countrys legal system taliban.

as I had already suggested the family had other choices than murder but they choose to murder,because they thought they cud get away with it and thanks to peple like you they just might.

P.S. I never supported elopment,it is indeed shameful,why shud people elope run away to do what is legal and right ,to marry a person of their own choice, like as if they were criminals or murdrers.
    people who murder shud be the ones to “elope”

12. sahana

tejaswi you say :
    “secondly….. if u hav 3 option….. 1-> boy/gal suits u bt not family
    2-> boy/gal suits ur family, not u
    3-> boy/gal suits both of ur family n u
    love means love wid ur parents too…… love wid nation too….. etc… (u cud understand it)”

Actually opposite is true nowadays 1)love marriage that is later arranged works best 2) then second comes purely love marriage without parents consent and 3)last is all kinds of arranged marriage whether both boy n girl like each other and parents etc etc

because arranged marriage is full of dowry, and persecution by in laws and no happiness for the bride.only slavery and torture at in laws hands.

So think about all this

God bless you too
    you will need his blessing if you go around supportin criminals and murderers and calling other peple you dont even know with obscenities
    because

13. Abhirup Bhunia

I got to see your report today. Wanna congratulate you
    Man…This is fab journalism.
    And people like us should demand justice of all indian citizens.

14. Tejashwi Aaryan

@Sahana

I hav gone through your comments , abt small town and big-town.. it doesnot matter… dis is global village . everywhere there is characterless and characterized person…. even in past…dere were alot of cases of loose character person…..

2ndl abt my living in small town or big town…. u sud know…. I’m Engg. from One of the BEST Institute of India…. and m prep. for IAS…… so m busy in prep….. after 23 may, i will answer your comments…..

Thirdly, values differs, u r westernist as well as culture and value is concerned…. ur sis is living wid smone before marry… u say … everyth is ok in dese th just bcos in metros , people don care dese th…means for u social identity doesnot matter…. social/ prestige doesnot matter… everyth is pleasure/material….. majority of india doesnot hav dis value….

ur family has westernized value dats why they don hav problem if ur sis is living wid smone before marry….. for u character and moral doesnot matter….. almost whole india except few westernist like u …its matters alot….. neither u cud be smone gud daughter so dat parents ,family and her clan cud hav respect…. nor u cud be smone sister, if u would indulge in pre-marital sexual relationship, ur bro cannot feel comfprtable, his frnd would comments abt u to him, n he would be frustrated, so he would break tie wid u even he cud harass u… atlest he cud never consider u as proud sister….. similar way u cud never be anyone gud wife….. bcos u would hav alot of relationship wid alot of person prior to him….. so u cud never be gud wife….. simialry u cud never be gud Mother, bcos ur sosn daughter would know u don hav morale, u r loose character….. so they will hate u….. they cannot obey u….
    society cud never respect u…. dey would consider u loose women…. means not even proud citizen…..

In short…. u r gud for noth……. here YOU=all person who hav dis view…..

i will explain abt it later….after 23 may….. keep patience…

I m not forcing my view over other….. i would like to keep my view….. we cud hav healthy discussion…. even if finally we would be able to say ” we r agree to disagree wid each others…”

P.S: Im in hurry…. so don hav time to type a alot of th…. M in office….. hav alot of work beside study….. God Bless U!!!

15. Tejashwi Aaryan

I got this msg from smone…. v-heart-touching abt dis case… m pasting it…..

बेटी तु नही तो कुछ भी नही, मुझे बडा गर्व हुआ था जब तुने मेरी कोख मे जन्म लिया
    मुझे बहुत खुशी मिलती थी जब मे तेरा हाथ पकडकर तुझे घुमाती थी

तेरी मन्द- मन्द मुस्कान पर मे फुले नही समाती थी। मेने तेरे लिए बडे बडे सपने देखे थे, पर तुने बदले मे मुझे जो कुछ दिया, वो मेरे देखे हुवे सपनो जैसे नही थे मुझे जो तुझसे उमीदै थी वो एक माँ के स्थान से भी कही जायदा बडी थी तु माँ तो बनने जा रही थी मगर तुझे उसका अंजाम मालुम नही था खैर जो भी हुआ वह अच्छा ही हुआ जो हो रहा है वो भी अच्छा ही है जो होगा वह भी अच्छा ही होगा।
    तुझे नया जन्म मिल जायेगा मुझे मेरे माँ होने की सजा मिल जायेगी और हम दोनो गुनहेगारो का दुनियां जिर्क्र करते रहेगी फर्क सिर्फ इतना होगा जो तेरे करीब जायदा रहा होगा उसे तेरी याद जायदा आयेगी और जो मेरे जायदा करीब रहा उसे मेरी जायदा याद आयेगी.

जा बेटी खुशी से जा आखिर तु है तो पराई ही ना,
    अब तु मेरे हाथो से ही पराई बन गई तो क्या हुआ,
    तुने भी तो मुझे अपनी माँ के बजाय पराई ही समझा ना।

This incident was mournful , this sudnot hav happened… bt wat ever happened///// both nirupama and her family are responsible for it….. bt Nirupama fault was more and more…. she cud hav alot of option ….dere r plenty of fish in minds…. alot of Man is available…. bt there r no alternative of parents….. and Parents sud give proper value to their kids….. marry right time…. discipline life style…. strong vigil…. frndly and transparent conversion….gud Cultural value…. honest talks…. accept ur value no matter where its conservative or so called liberal… keep it before ur kids so dat they cud know wat their value is…. wat is their SELECTION-DOMAIN…. show them way to choose…. make them learn what the mean of freedom is…. at wat extent, and abt wat issue they r free….. etc…. so dat such problem cud not happen any more…..

16. sahana

@tejaswi
    what is your definition of “loose character” wud you kill someone for being a “loose character” from what you have written it is clear you wud, though you didnt say so.
    You are just like nirupama’s parents thats why you support their murder.you are capable of murdering someone for being “loose character”

You have so much against looose women you say:
    “for u character and moral doesnot matter….. almost whole india except few westernist like u …its matters alot….. neither u cud be smone gud daughter so dat parents ,family and her clan cud hav respect…. nor u cud be smone sister, if u would indulge in pre-marital sexual relationship, ur bro cannot feel comfprtable, his frnd would comments abt u to him, n he would be frustrated, so he would break tie wid u even he cud harass u… atlest he cud never consider u as proud sister….. similar way u cud never be anyone gud wife….. bcos u would hav alot of relationship wid alot of person prior to him….. so u cud never be gud wife….. simialry u cud never be gud Mother, bcos ur sosn daughter would know u don hav morale, u r loose character….. so they will hate u….. they cannot obey u….

In short…. u r gud for noth……. here YOU=all person who hav dis view…..”

So if you had the power to do something about “”loose character”
    like me what wud you do?
    Of course you wud murder me

what is your solution to deal with loose women like me ?
    Is it murder?

“bcos ur sosn daughter would know u don hav morale, u r loose character”

what is your idea of “morale”(actaully it is “moral” not “morale” you dont even know proper english and you want to talk)

I have given you so many good points to discuss and talk about but you want resort to name calling first you call “bastard” then you saying “loose character”
    IS all this your idea of good culture moral and “tight character”.

” u r gud for noth……. here YOU=all person who hav dis view…..”

you call me all these things and then say:

“I m not forcing my view over other….. i would like to keep my view….. we cud hav healthy discussion…. even if finally we would be able to say we r agree to disagree wid each others…”

If all this name calling and obscenities is your “culture” and you feel proud of it I reaaly dont think its worth talking to you

By Mitesh Solanki

By Sudhamshu Mitra

By Azad bansala