Kasab Sentenced to Death, What Next? (updated)

THE SENTENCE AND THE REALTIY:

Ajmal Amir Kasab, the only safest person after the 26/11 Mumbai blasts was today sentenced to death by Judge M L Tahaliyani who classified his crime as “rarest of rare”. The court said that there was no chance of Kasab reforming.

This comes at a time when there was much debate raging about the type of sentence to be given to Kasab. While most Indian’s were releived after this sentence, the question is will he be hanged? And if yes, then when?

Kasab will now set out on a long journey where legal and moral issues will be considered by authorities for years, even decades, before he is finally put to death, reports TOI.

But before we rejoice we must understand that this is (or might) not the end.This case was being tried in Special Court the judge will now have to send his order for confirmation to the Bombay HC. After which, the Bombay high court will call for evidence and analyse it to its own discretion, taking a few more months while Rs. 2 Lakh (Agencies) are being spent on Kasab on a daily basis.

After the Bombay High Courts nod for the death sentence, Kasab has the right to appeal to the Supremem Court. (remember Surinder Koli of the Nithari case? He was given death sentence by Allahabad High Court but his petition is still pending in SC).

And not only this, after SC’s approval, he has the right to go to the President.

STRONG VIEWS:

People were looking forward to his sentence and now they will look forward to his execution. While the sentence did not take much time, the execution might, unless there are fast track orders issued against Kasab.

Early in February, a facebook page by the name “After 26/11,safest person in india is, ironically Kasab” was launched, and has been able to collect about 10,000 odd fans. Such has been the case that hate groups emerged immediately after Kasab’s arrest.

Another question that comes forward is about the larger picture. Is Kasab a small fish in the big sea? (but we must start somewhere right?)

While many debated against Kasab, DesiCritics.org carried a story on why Kasab should not be hanged? In another blog by Reuters India Kasab’s verdict being considered as a victory for India is being questioned.

It still needs to be scrutinized as to whether Kasab will receive a death sentence or not, however, we must not let the voices go down.

The voice that matters is yours. Please feel free to get in touch with us at editor@youhkiawaaz.com or post your comments in the space below.

photo credits: AP

The writer is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Youth Ki Awaaz.

1. Shruthi Venukumar

This does a good job of rounding up pretty much all d clashing views on Kasab. Yes he is a small fish … they (or he) never cared about his life anyway (getting killed by NSG or being hanged by a court verdict); he didn’t go all out into ambush expecting to come out alive even i reckon.

But a death sentence is too soft a sentence for a terrorist as remorseless as him. He might even turn a martyr in some people’s dictionary (remember Saddam?). Lifelong rigorous incarceration if u ask me. A dilemma … by doing so, would we be bringing upon ourselves another Kandahar-like hijacking or any such terrorism-backed blackmail measures pressing his release?

Sometimes i feel torturous killing, killing them inch by inch, should be made lawful in cases like this. But that would mean pushing us down to their class.

2. smriti

Very well put…encapsulates almost all the sentiments floating around…oh yes, apart from being the most protected one, he’s also made the cut to being the most debated and avidly reported one!…and yes I totally agree with the comment above mine, tortorous killing is what hits me when I hear and read about anything remotely connected to the crimes perpetrated by him. One visit the Bombay Taj is enough to concur with such a punishment. Maybe there should be a law now for inflicting the ‘rarest of rarest punishments’ too just as there is one for classifying cases…As a future member of the Bar, I may not be competent enough to comment how much of consonance such a punishment would have with our social and democratic ethos, but as an aggrieved citizen and a fellow Indian, this tortorous punishment does not seem all that draconian to me :)…

By Vaishnavi Gond

By Satyam Giri