FIFA 2010: Key Players Out… Dissapointing?

Tania Goklany:

The world’s most awaited and watched sporting event, the FIFA World Cup of football, started day before. The entire world has been waiting with bated breath for this exciting and thrilling event after its success in 2006. People from every nook and corner of the globe will be glued to their television sets anxious to see their favourite teams and players master the game.

The World Cup is played once in every four years and every team puts in efforts to come out with flying colours. Every team aspires to hold the trophy in their hands, to be undefeated and be a part of history.

Even though it’s played once in four years, we still don’t get to see the countries play their best due to injuries, players not being selected or because the countries don’t qualify. The FIFA World Cup is the biggest football tournament and while we’d all love to see the best teams can do at full strength, the reality is a bit different.

Injuries are a part of sports and players are subjected to bumps and bruises due to which a few of them aren’t participating in the 2010 World Cup.

David Beckham’s injury might be a little underrated, but because of an ACL injury he didn’t get the chance to really make a case to be on England’s squad. Even he’s no longer in his prime; there is no question that he would still be a valuable member to have around. England will miss having such a good placekicker.

Its one thing to lose a role player of your team or a backup, but it’s another thing to play without your prime-time star. The Germany squad will be laying the 2010 World Cup without the face of their team-Michael Ballack. He suffered an ankle injury that will keep him away from the mega tournament.

After raising high expectations with his remarkable performance in the Premiere League, the Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba has been ruled out of the World Cup due to an arm injury. With Drogba on the field, Ivory Coast could have been very dangerous and threatening to their oppositions.

Many other players like Michael Essien, Rio Ferdinand, Jose Bosingwa, Rene Adler, and John Mikel Obi have also been announced out due to injuries.

Petr Cech (Czech Republic) is arguably the best goalie in the world. The (otherwise) Chelsea keeper could not help his team qualify for the World Cup.

Javier Zanetti from Argentina will miss the tournament after his coach Diego Maradona did not select the veteran defender.

Brazilian superstar, Ronaldinho, failed to secure a place in Dunga’s squad. He was dropped out of the team.

Antonia Valencia (Ecuador), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden), Emmanuel Adebayor (Togo), Tomáš Rosický (Czech Republic) will all miss the World Cup as their respective countries failed to qualify for the tournament.

Not just this, a lot of players opted out of playing the World Cup and representing their countries because they prefer playing for their clubs (where they make good money).

With these superstars absent from the World Cup, one doesn’t know what to expect of the tournament. It will be a big blow to a lot of teams without their star players with them while the same will turn out to be beneficial to other teams.

Even though a lot of players will be missing the tournament, the ones participating in it seem determined and promising.

On the whole, this world cup promises to deliver on many levels and as a fan all I can do is cross my fingers and pray (I’m rooting for Argentina just by the way). So folks, grab a beer, warm the couch and stay tuned for all the action. Hope that you’re all WAVIN’ FLAG. WAKA WAKA!!

By Suvam Maiti

By jayesh acharya

By Mohammad Sufiyan