Top 10 DJ’s of India (2009-2010) [Recommended Read]

Shweta Bhalla:

NOTE: This ranking is not latest, and is for the year 2009-2010.

DJ or a Disc Jockey is someone who plays recorded music for an audience, generally in a club or a party. They may play music in the bars, nightclubs discs or rave parties. They may select and play music or may even do some turntable scratching to create percussive sounds. In short, they are the life and soul of any club or party. They can make or break the mood out there; have the power to get every feet on the dance floor!

Each successful DJ has his own style of playing the music that eventually becomes his style statement and then a platform that slowly gets associated with him.

Indian DJs have truly made their mark in the nation as well as internationally. At the same time they never fail to connect with the masses; be it the likes of DJ Praveen who is always remembered for his ‘Summer of 69’ Bhangra remix, or DJ Suketu whose ‘Bin Tere Sanam’ gets people on dance floors in seconds. Brought forth is the list of the TOP 10 DJs of India (based on their fan votes on thedjlist.com)

1. DJ Praveen Nair

Location: Mumbai, India.

He is an Aquarian by birth, engineer by learning, a music connoisseur by profession; DJ Praveen is a down to earth friendly guy who is among the best Indian DJs to make it successful on the international DJ scene. He started spinning music as an amateur DJ in 2002 and since then he has risen to a meteoric success.

He has done the historical Bhangra remix for ‘Summer of 69’, established himself for a new generation of clubbers through Saturday night show on 93.5 Red FM, played at the top nighclubs and events, officially ranked among the top best DJs of India by the Times group and MTV, responsible for the success of the club Provogue Lounge (his first residency). At the same time he has also wowed crowds internationally in far flung places as Egypt, Australia, Malasiya, South Africa, Indonesia, Italy, Hong Kong and many more.

2. DJ Aqeel

Location: Mumbai, India.

He is the most sought after DJ and has played in more countries than any other DJ, and has been the only DJ to play twice at the World Economic Forum in Davos entertaining the likes of Bill Clinton. He has given the world some of the best remixes, his albums have made the record sales, has introduced the first ever DJ owned record label in the country under the brand PowerPlay Records, introduced the concept of Super Club in India

3. DJ Akbar Sami

Location: Mumbai, India.

He is best known as the Indian remix guru. He shot to fame with his first album ‘Jalwa’. He tried his hand at remixing the bollywood numbers as well and became a music director himself eventually, with Fast Forward.

4. DJ Suketu Radia

Location: Mumbai, India.

The’Bin Tere Sanam’ Remix; that’s how we know DJ Suketu. But this Mumbai- based DJ started his career as a DJ over 15 years back, with his debut remix album ‘440’ Volts, which had topped the charts with a number of hits like ‘Pyar Zindagi Hai’ and ‘ Bombay in my soul’.

And then he also made his mark in Bollywood by remixing many new songs like ‘Aadat’, ‘Baras Ja’, ‘Beedi’, ‘Ya Ali’, songs of Awarapan, Race and many more. The latest addition to this list were the remixes of the songs of ‘ Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani’; again being a hit among his fans.

5. DJ Nyk

Location: New Delhi, India.

One of the most dedicated artists around, he brings immense energy and passion to every project of his, something that never goes unnoticed. DJ Nyk, aka Nikhil Sahni, ‘being classy’ personified, without being over the top. He has been in the industry for 4 years now and has been very well established now, winning the hearts of the gurus of music as well as the public who have branded him the ‘King of Remixes’. He has already experimented with multiple genres like ambient, chill out, house, euro trance and even drum & bass and Breakbeats. At 23, he is a great sensation among his fans.

What started as just jockeying at local parties at the age of 16, escalated into him doing a serious study in the art of e-music. He has also been accepted internationally with performances in 25 worldwide cities like Hong Kong, Malasiya, Dubai, Bahrain etc to his credit. He also debuted in the Bollywood with the remixes in the SRK Production ‘Billu Barber’. He still continues to bring quality music through his signature EDM (Electronic Dance Music) productions and DJ sets worldwide.

6. DJ Akhtar Faisal

Location: Mumbai, India.

7. DJ Ravish

Location: Jaipur, India.

DJ Ravish literally lives , eats and dies on music. He started really young, being exposed to music at a small age of 15 years. By 20, he turned into the most liked DJ in the Jaipur City. His adventure started from spinning in the friend’s party and his passion for the same led him to make a career out of it. he entered into professional DJing at the age of 17 and has come a long way since then.

He started making it big on the Electronic Music stage, even started making his own tunes urged by his curiosity for softwares. His remixes have a new funky, punchier bassline and kicking kicks to bang the speakers, which is already a hit! His Bollywood biggies include ‘Dhan Ta Nan’ (Kaminey), ‘Twist’ (Love Aaj Kal), ‘Om Mangalam’(Kambakkht Ishq) and he is getting appreciation from all over. His music never lets the feet go off the dance floor. He is the star of any event. This young talent, for whom ‘even sky is not a limit’, makes everyone keep coming back for more.

8. DJ Ryan Beck

Location: Mumbai, India.

He has been DJing for the past 18 years. This exceptional talent has been the Winner of the War of DJs 1998 All Mumbai and a winner of DMC 19999 All India. Over this magnificent career span, he has been a resident DJ in a variety of high end clubs like Enigma, Waves, Illusions and many more. He has performed in almost all of Indian cities and many countries like France, Dubai, Austria, and Bali.

9. DJ Khalid Kazeem

Location: Chennai, India.

Dj Khalid has been a professional Turntablest for the last 10 years. He has been scratching on records and vinyls since the young age of 14. He has performed in the best clubs and bars all over the world and has gathered his fair share of fans. His great spinning and remixing techniques have seen him playing Bollywood and Underground Bhangra chartbusters, Electro, Club and House music to the ecstatic crowds.

10. DJ Nasha

Location: Mumbai, India.

He made a splash with his ‘Nasha-Flute Fantasy’ and continued to create many more great Hollywood remixes. He also has many Bollywood remixes to his credit. He has also opened a professional DJ academy in India. Some of his top tracks include: Flute Fantasy, Yara Sili Sili, Jawani Janeman; making him one of the most loved and appreciated DJs of the country.

1. Mjjocky

i like dj nyk & dj akbar sami song

1. Pritesh Jadhav

i want to make become dj somone teach me dj plz send me email my email id is pritj42@gmail.com

2. Dj Raj

CALL DJ INSTITUTE ( MUMBAI ) 09224221271

3. Vineet Girdhar

Dj Akbar Sami as quoted earlier too is one of the all time greats India has ever produced

2. djanik

The name of dj lijo (lijo george) should be in there..i m surprised that dj lijo,U.D. RYK,chirag missing heere!!

3. nitin

one day my name will be add in this list ……

4. dj sajib

i’m wonderin where is the name of dj DEV??????…………….

5. Amit Dhasmana

The above Rate list is wrong:-

It should be

1 Dj Suketu
    2 Dj Aqeel
    3 Dj NYK
    4 DJ TARAL
    5 Dj Nawed and Dev
    6 Dj LIjjo and RYK, A.sen
    7 Dj Moit and Rohan
    9
    10
    Rest to be filled by you guy’s

6. vickyyy

best djs in india;

1- dj harsh (awesome remixes)
    2-dj mer’c
    3-dj shivam
    4-dj taral
    5-dj lijo
    6-dj nyk & dj ryk

1. Sandeep sagar

I am with u… Vikky dj merc z d bst one….and I am a biginners and all of m’ bro plz help me to bekom a dj

2. danish

nyk iz d bestttttttttt

3. Aman

Ya its right i am with u

7. mohit

only DH HARSH

8. Ankit

Only Dj NYK A.K.A Nikhil Sahni Is The God Of Dj’s
    I would Like To Say Is India’s Top Dj Is Dj Nyk No One Can Be Stand As His Competitor In Front Of Him!!!!

NYK Rocks………………………………………………………..

9. Ritesh

I like the dj mix songs of dj shivam nice dued go on

10. Dj ricky

Hey dj shivam make some sound in midnght a club mix lets get us dance dued ur my super star

11. DJ RDX RAJ

I LOVE DJ LIJO’S SONGS.MY DREEM SPR STR DJ LIJO.

12. Karthik nishant

Younger DJs like dj nishant, dj lijo, a.sen, dj lemon, dj kawal, u.d jowin should be in list, becoz now adays music in their hands more….

13. dj nick _neeraj

only dj nyk nd praveein nair is great man………

14. Shoeb dj srk

I like dj lijo i love dj lijo i’m big fan dj lijo very nic and very briliant performenc dj lijo n very hard electro music dj lijo i wish u ke tum bht aage badho ge by

15. Abhijit Paul

I think thay are best dj in india i very much like this djs remix song

dj nyk
    dj lijo
    A.sen
    Dj Aqeel
    dj dev
    dj o2 & dj srk
    dj piyush

16. Karthik nishant

But guyz, software mix is not only the part of mix! A dj should knw the disc work.
    in other words he shud knw hw to work on turn table and online mix.

17. deejay adi

im sry girl but shweta dis is 2011 tyms changed …….. nyk ‘s cumin wid nothin new…… n quite a few guys wid da comments are mostly crrct………. srry gain girl

18. DJ AMAR

My Fav DJ’s Are:
    1}DJ SAM NSK
    2}DJ Lijo
    3}DJ Ka2n
    4}DJ Sky
    5}DJ Prith
    -:Singed By:-
    DJ AMAR

19. DJ AMAR

Hello I Am The DJ AMAR My Fav DJ’s Are:
    1}DJ SAM NSK
    2}DJ Lijo
    3}DJ Ka2n
    4}DJ Sky
    5}DJ Prith
    -:Singed By:-
    DJ AMAR

20. shane

DJ Ivan (Bangalore) Is got to be on the list not fair.

1. Nayan

I agree .. in fact he should be #1

21. emraan

where is dj lijo

22. Toshif

India bast Dj for Rehan dj

23. Dj DPS & Dj DEV

Hey, it’s Dj DPS & Dj DEV..

I THINK , the above top rate list is wrong..
    IT should be…..

01.) Dj NYK & Dj NDS
    02.) Dj Lijo
    03.) Dj TEjAS
    04.) Dj RYK
    05.) Dj SUKETU
    06.) Dj RIBIN RICHARD
    07.) Dj SHIVAM & Dj HARSH
    08.) Dj AKHIL TALREJA
    09.) Dj A.SEN
    10.) Dj RAVISH & Dj CHICO
    after some year i’ll be here…DJ DPS

24. Karan

These are club bangers
    Dj Suketu

Dj Lijo

Dj Ryk

Baap of every djs /m\

25. Praveen

Hey Guys,
    What about our hyderabadi DJ Asif, does anyone know about him? heard of him?

26. anam

Dejey merci n Dj nyk ,Djaquel is best of india>

1. Anam Rock

The best Dj of India Dj Aquel

27. Rafiq Hassan

I am writing to you from the United States of America from the Liyah Music Group and would like to introduce you to an artist living in Miami by the name of “Liyah”. Her music video Raise em High is now playing in South Africa on SABC TV3,Saffron TV and Channel O ( you can view video by clicking on this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GFvtHXZi2Y ) and her song went number one in Africa

Liyah had just got of her South African Tour with Pitbull. You can review Liyah’s catalog at her press kit epresskitz.com/liyahmusic .
    If you require further information , please feel to contact me

I would like to submit Liyah,s songs to the DJs in India ,could you please point me in the right direction

Regards

rafiq

28. djkaushik

firstly.i like dj nyk he is awesome!
    2. Dj lijo the electrowonderboy
    3. Dj ud n jowin
    4. Dj asen
    5. Dj tejas

29. zahid shaikh

dj nyk is the king of remixes………

30. djmaza

what about DJ Rizwan …???

Anyone knw DJ Rizwan… ?
    If not… Thn listen to his Remixes…
    He is from Hyderabad…
    I hope you guys will like his Remixes..

1. DJ Vinin earlier known as DJ Vineet Delhi

Yes Buddy I am aware of him a great DJ again forgotten in the race

2. Deejay DRD

Yah……………

3. Deejay DRD

ya i knw

4. Dj Nickz

DJ Rizwan is still a baby, he learn remixing. Listen to the best Dj Jitesh

31. sharath

why dont indian djs produce trance than mixing the bollywood tracks ? djing in india may reach a new height ! :-/

1. shiju

dj sukhetu and dj akber sami is the top djs in asia

32. shiju

1 dj suketu
    2 dj akbar sami
    3 dj a sen
    4 dj jithesh
    5 dj aqeel
    6 dj nyk
    7 dj harsh
    8 dj shivam
    9 dj nasha
    10 dj dev
    11 dj akhil talreja
    12 dj lemon
    13 dj amit
    14 dj hani
    15 dj lijo

33. ashish

1-NYK
    2-NYk
    3_NYK

34. opium

No.1 Dj of India is Dj Mani from http://www.delhidjs.com.. Awesome remixes

35. KAILASH

WE LIKE DJ HARSH!

36. Karthik nishant

Hi frnds,,, this is me from south! 1st of all lets take young djs. Y dnt u ppl mntion ravish? Ravish is the best! Reggaeton king

37. dj zahid

well the list must go this way
    1. dj nyk
    2. dj dev
    3. dj akhil talreja
    4. dj a.sen
    5. dj lemon
    6. dj shadow
    7. dj kawal
    8. dj lijo
    9. dj kawal
    10.dj tejus

DJ Akhil DJ Lemon and DJ shadow finally remembered by someone I am impressed DJ Zahid ….you are a true admirer of real heroes in the world of indian DJing.

DJ Vinin earlier known as DJ Vineet Delhi

38. MUKESH

DJ ZEDI IS A BETTER DJ THAN
    THESE.
    Dj suketu just theft Soulja boy(kiss me) s rhythem fo
    piya o re piya(atif) remix.
    ATLEAS DJ ZEDI
    NEVER THEFTS

1. Dj Nickz

Suketu didn’t steal it he made his own rhythm

39. gost

kuch bhi kar lo but dj tiesto is best in whole world

40. Karimi Wahid

DJ Praveen Nair @ #1? I just listened to his music on YouTube and it’s nothing compared to how NYK does it.

41. priya

D. j emran always rocking in Delhi. He
    number one of the Delhi N.C.R D.j

42. deepak

yup

43. deepak

1 nyk

44. Vicky

Hahahaha… Whosoever has written this article is the biggest fool and he doesnt know anything about DJ’ing industry. Where are the names of Amyth, Lost Stories, Amit Das? And u call Nair as No 1!! Rofl.

45. ankit sharma

i lyk Dj nyk he is awsome……. i want to become a DJ lik him suggest me d way…………

46. Dj Raj

U CANT CAMPARE DJS WITH HIS PRODUCTION ONLY………SO MANY DJS IN INDIA …..THEY R NOT MUCH IN PRODUCTION BUT TOP ON PLAYING ……. JUST NOTED

1. Arun kumar

i agRee wId You

47. Amrit Singh

Dj Shelin is my favorite <3 I wake up listening to his mixes…

48. Vineet Girdhar

Absolutely Rubbish thats all u can say
    DJ Vineet Delhi (trained in DJ Nasha’s academy) is the only DJ who not only produces tracks but also the only one in India who write songs too.
    Greatness is not marked just because u play in clubs but also how much these DJs understand music.
    Probably DJ Nasha Suketu Akbar Sami and Akeel are the only all time favourates but the new DJs are far beyond excellence.

49. Deejay Nayan

On what basis is the ranking done ??? Whoever has done this does not know about the industry. Where in the list is DJ IVAN who is the India Resident of Ministry of Sound, London ??? Where is Jalebi Cartel ??? Where is Sanjay Dutta ?? Where is DJ Pearl ??? Why is DJ Nasha ranked at no. 10 when he is far better than Nyk and Ravish ??? Who is Praveen Nair and on what basis is he #1 ??

Deejay Nayan Well said DJ IVAN is the forgotten hero in the mushrooming of DJ tag/lable usage in the trade. DJ Pearl the India’s first lady DJ who kicks of SUN BURN Festival every year and her hubby DJ Nikhil …..DJ NYK and Ravish and Dj Ritesh of Spingurus all missed out in this. Thanks for bringing them back to memories including Jalebi Cartel who rose to fame with lot of struggle and hardships.

50. arpan

hi , my name is arpan dhyani,any one would like to buy OHM TOPS, AMPS & SUBS,9310310204

51. Maruf Sarkar Munna

I Am 100% sure my ranking is correct…
    Ranking should be
    1)Dj NYK
    2)Dj Sahil Joshi
    3)Dj Lemon
    4)Dj Lijo
    5)Dj Vaggy & Stash
    6)Dj Ribin Richard
    7)Dj Aqeel
    8)Dj Tejas
    9)Dj Hani
    10)Dj Dev
    Munna@01740966076

52. DJ Vinin earlier known as DJ Vineet Delhi

Maruf almost there not bad good job and thanks for making me remember my first guru DJ Veggy from Pune sone of MILTON industries and a fantastic individual too

DJ Vinin -earlier known as DJ Vineet Delhi

53. Rushikesh

1.Nyk

54. Deejay DRD

Now Many top Deejay R Exposed Result getting Soon

55. Md. Zedi Akhtar

Can anyone say me how to make my own DJ logo in Videos like DJ Zedi…

56. dheeraj

hey where is dj lijo? Ye sub toh bacche hai uske saamne

57. Ridhi Murari

Had no idea about the dj hierarchy of our country. Interesting !

58. vaibhav

ravish you r the best

59. Vishal

Where is dj sandipan?

60. mr r singh

Our dj sukh from uk raw echoes is a good Indian dj http://www.rawechoes.com watching him perform live in front of a good crowd is what it is all about.but nowadays he mainly travels to india for weddings and shows.
    call him for bookings.

1. weddings and eventsR,singh

check out our http://www.indiandj.co.uk indian dj from uk.

61. r singh

When your book a DJ for you Elegant big wedding,Uk finest & friendly Indian,Asian wedding dj http://www.djSukh.co.uk from http://www.rawechoes.com is a must to add some international flava that is traditional and energetic.Get highly talented dj who been in th industry since 1987.live mixing of Bhangra and Bollywood to the highest standard without a laptop weddings.
    He is available for club and launch parties worldwide,mainly India,ca,eu and usa.

1. R singh

website for indian wedding djs from london uk http://www.rawechoes.com/Asian-Wedding-DJs/c122/index.html and a video link of out bespoke wedding and event djs set up.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgRAjk1lVZ0

62. vicky

dj shadow is best

63. Gaurav Malvai

DJ Gaurav Malvai is also one of the best DJs in India. He played in many countries such as Germany, France, Italy, Thailand, Hong kong and more. He played for many celebrity’s birthday and marriage anniversary. His officially website is http://www.djgauravmalvai.com

64. Mousmumi

Great list of DJs. My favorites are DJ NYK and DJ Dev 🙂

65. Dj Nickz

Where is Dj Shaodw, Dj Lemon and Dj Jitesh. You really need to update your blog soon.

By Md.Sher Ali

By Anish Bachchan

By Jaimine