Web meets Phone: ANDROID [with PICS and VIDEO]

Shipra Kumar:

When Android first debuted on the HTC Dream (also known as the G1) back in October of 2008, it was deemed an ” iPhone Killer.” While it didn’t quite slay Apple’s handset, it was the first step in a revolution against the tyrannous iPhone.

So what’s the huge deal about the android? Well, for starters It is Google’s operating system for mobile devices. Developed by Android Inc. bought by Google and then taken over by Open Handset Alliance . We have email for our messages, Flickr for our photos, Google Docs for our documents, and Facebook and Twitter for our social lives. Android offers the ability to integrate all of this natively .It s google’s way of telling us “Web Meets Phone” which is their retailing tagline as well. Technologically, Android includes middle ware and key applications, and uses a modified version of the LINUX kernel i.e. monolithic. Programmed in C (core), C++(some third party libraries), JAVA(UI), the operating system is open to development.

The initial Android platform bested the iPhone OS on several levels, but lacked some key functionalities that the iPhone could provide. Since then, Android has grown – not only meeting all of the functionalities of the iPhone, but besting it in nearly all aspects from an extensive list of devices to a growing Android Marketplace. Once you purchase mobile hardware for Android you can keep updating firmware with latest release and get new features and enhancements so your phone features will keep updating always and mobile will be never boring. Also the coding is under the APACHE license, a free software & open source license.

The Android has seen a no. of updates since its original release. These updates to the base operating system typically fix bugs and add new features.

The Android Cycle

Well basically all these are the advance stages of android, beginning with the 1.5 CUPCAKE to 1.6 DONUT to 2.0/2.1 ÉCLAIR to 2.2 FROYO & ULTIMATELY to gingerbread.

So the new advanced ANDROID has superior features, Starting with version 1.0, Android has been able to run multiple applications at the same time regardless of whether they are system apps or apps from the Android Marketplace. Android users benefit greatly from this discrepancy, as they can receive notifications, listen to music, or even record GPS data without keeping the application open. Another key feature, Android has a customizable home screen which keeps active widgets right at your fingertips, always accessible and always visible – without having to launch an application first. There are widgets for just about every app in the Android Marketplace from playing music to checking the weather and keeping up to date on facebook.

Android also has another advantage: a completely open market i.e. driven entirely by its consumers, so the best app is the one that succeeds – not the first one to reach the market. In addition, the Android Marketplace doesn’t censor its apps, so the possibilities are truly endless. Comparatively iPhone has always had some trouble with notifications. Because it’s restricted to pop-up notifications, it can only handle one at a time and because it lacks multitasking, applications must be open in order for them to make notifications. Android, on the other hand, has a convenient notification bar which displays an icon for every notification you have waiting. The notification bar can also be pulled downward to reveal more detail about each notification. The operating system is developed in such a manner so as to adapt to your hardware and hence a wee bit budget friendly compared to the iphone. So you get to choose as well.

Click here if you can’t view the video

Hence the conclusion draws out to be With Android, nothing is out of reach.

The writer is a tech-columnist with Youth Ki Awaaz. She completed her 2nd year of engineering  and is a driven person towards whatever excites her, be it environment, fashion shows or sometimes studies. Having thoughts erupting every second in her tiny brain, writing seems the best way to keep her afresh.

image courtesy: http://www.livbit.com/article/2010/03/23/over-70-of-existing-iphone-developers-plan-to-write-apps-for-android/

1. Arastu

This is very informative Shipra. Great stuff. Keep it up.

I’ve been fascinated with Android for quite a while now and this is very informative. Just 2 questions:

1. Can you suggest any good capacitive-touchscreen Android phones for around 15k?
    2. What are the problems with Android? Have heard and read that they dont/cant support video-calling and bluetooth file transfer.

2. Abhiraj

*KewL*…Shipra!
    +1 for the instigating title! 🙂
    Ya! Now on to Arastu…
    Everyday you can find some good problems with Android.
    First’f all Android do not have a video ‘calling problem’, they support 3G very well…Moreover, it depends on which developer app you are using additionally!
    Pre-handedly, let me tell you… every so called ‘problem’ in Android can be sustained just by choosing the perfect app from a perfect developer(Tested by google, indeed)!
    Yet, i will support iphone4 now, which includes *multitasking* + just a jailbreak could make it a much feasible iOS which can indulge other apps. + In here u need not take a breath-taking decision on ‘which apps to deploy’ as any app can not devastate the iOS of iphone!
    For, Android i will specify go up with any distribution, yet choose the app carefully, as it solely makes the difference It can be a BOOM for you or will DOOM your cell’s OS!

Conquer The World…

Raj

1. Arastu

Thanks for your reply Abhiraj. Just 2 more things:

1. How do Android apps ruin the OS?
      2. Can you suggest any good capacitive-touchscreen Android phones for around 15k?

3. Satish

Booh!
    Nothing enrapturing about the articles…
    For your kind info. SHIPRA, the applications are created in C# not in C++ or Core C… Did you knew this “Abhiraj”, saying about the developer tools???
    In a way you are right about the applications to be installed!

4. Abhiraj

One of the finest questions Arastu, yet i may not be getting into technical part much, as it would make me crawl to write as long as the present article..LoL!
    One Min. Btw… Yeah! Satish, i did knew this yet this doesn’t seem a that BIG ISSUE! Moreover, who said C++ or Core C isn’t used brotha! If u *assume* it, then you are completely wrong! The driver’s acting as the daemon is constructed in *core C*, while the Wirless Lan drivers are constructed with ‘C++’. They CAN’T be constructed with C#! Be Careful with words, Broz! + Now, your doubt on me ‘speaking on developer tools’! If while browsing some open application developers, if you find my name in btw. don’t get bizarred!
    + A personal opinion for you: ‘Don’t find faults with every article, better try to get something from it’!
    Back 2 Arastu! Leaving technical perimeter, let me tell you a fact on the problems with *app + developers working on it!*
    1)How will users find Android apps which they can have faith on!
    2)How will developers convince users to take a chance and d/n their app!
    Now both these problems exist in marketplace due to their ‘openness’… Google provides many apps but some of the useful apps get’s in premium package i.e. you have to pay the developer or the portal where you are getting it on. Yet, the THING is “they are tested applications!”
    While you may now get same apps with different developers -> {indicates it’s not certified, to embed with your OS}.
    The problems this may cause lies unbounded aka from ‘Buffer Overflows’ which leads in restarting your cell automatically to ‘getting swap memory uncleared’ (call it a kind’f RAM) which makes none forth more applications to work as the workspace gets zero!
    There are many other problems…yet, it depends on the app’s nature!
    Now for the cell go up with HTC, one can also prefer Moto’s Droid which one looks better w.r.t your budget!

Kudos!

1. Arastu

Thanks so much once again Abhiraj. What I basically understood from your reply is – since the Android Market is open and unregulated, sometimes stuff that can harm ur phone makes its way into the Market and subsequently into your phone, right?

As for the next thing, yaar I had decided to get an HTC Legend. But guess what, here in Delhi, I went to 6-7 big mobile shops of different kinds in different areas. None of them had HTC, hell most of them didnt even know what HTC was. Not even HTC’s site has any clear info or addresses of where one can buy their “quietly brilliant” phones. Now this has put my decision under considerable doubt. Even if I do find an HTC phone in some shop, I dont want to invest 25,000 rupees in something and still keep worrying about service centers, warranty and so on. So any other suggestions?

And what do you think about Samsung Wave? Do you think Samsung Apps on Bada will catch up with the Android Market or the App Store soon?

5. Satish

Sorry, Abhiraj. Didn’t knew that.
    I believe now i am finding this post more beneficial than it actually was.
    One more thing dude. You know these stuff well.

6. Abhiraj

No probs, Satish!
    Good to know you found it beneficial… Additionally, i don’t think i know THAT MUCH dude… Anyway thanks!!!!

Yes Arastu, actually marketplace is crowded with THESE MANY STUFF’s, that one can’t really put hands on which one is certified till they spend couple’f bucks!
    And specially in INDIA..guys do prefer *anything and everything FREE* {Especially, in case of applications}!!!!
    So the thing is ‘If you are ready to “spend some” on your apps, then the marketplace you would find, will be clear from all kind’f malignant apps!’

Though i live in Delhi i don’t have much idea’f the priority dealers in Delhi.
    Yet, the following link will help you for getting in though!
    http://www.htc.com/in/where_to_buy.aspx?folderid=888&state=Delhi&city=Delhi&page=0
    Moreover, i have not heard any negative reviews over the ‘after sale service’ of HTC clients in DELHI & NOIDA specially!!!
    So, i would say without any negative/doubtful thought move on…

Pls. dont go with Samsung’s product at least in this case… Now i cant write a page of vulnerabilities it carries off with hardware and so..hehe {Hope you understand :)}. To be honest the only thing i personally like about Samsung is its image quality.

For, more info. you could get me at *http://abhiraj-contact.tk/*

By Manya Gupta

By Suman Pandit

By Gautami Nair