India Unveils World”s Cheapest Touchscreen Tablet PC Priced Rs. 1600 [Quick Review]

By Anshul Tewari:

On 23rd July, 2010, a happy Kapil Sibal (HRD Min) and a proud Indian Government unveiled the prototype of an iPad-like touch-screen laptop, with a price tag of $35 (roughly Rs. 1600), which it hopes to roll out next year. Sibal created history with his words, “in the year 2011, the sun will rise for the children of our country“.

This tablet will be aimed largely at students, supporting web browsing, video conferencing and word processing, say the developers, who are students of top IT colleges of the country. The best part — Mr. Sibal said that the plan was ultimately to drop the price to $20 (Rs. 1000 aprrox) and then to $10 (Rs. 500 [WHOA!]). Unveiling the gadget, the human resource development minister told the Economic Times newspaper it was India’s answer to the “$100 laptops” developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US.

According to Indian Express, it has a 5/7/9-inch touchscreen, and, on the software side, it sports a web browser, PDF reader, office software, media player, multimedia input/output capabilities, video conferencing (which means it has a camera) and remote device management capability – all of it open-source and Linux-based.

This tablet has surely made an uproar in the International market with the world’s best journalism houses to independent websites like Mashable grabbing a scoop of it.

Pros and Pros?

The device has surely emerged as a tough neck for the iPad in the Indian markets, however, it does not support all that the iPad does. The device is certainly not an all inclusive one. BUT, considering the fact that India is in dire need of merging technology with education to have a better quality educational output — this device, once launched in 2011, could be a major breakthrough in the education sector.

The current Rs. 1600 price of this device makes it the world’s cheapest tablet. Also, the afford-ability of the device could ensure easy access to information. If this device is made mandatory in schools and higher institutions then learning could be absolutely amazing.

This device could also be a tough competition to the net books in India, and a great deal for travellers who wish to have easy access to the internet.

In the press conference, Sibal mentioned, “the motherboard, its chip, the processing, connectivity, all of them cumulatively cost around $35, including memory, display, everything.”

I am still not very convinced about the quality of the product and the longevity of the same. BUT, from what we see as of now, this is simple AMAZING. To top it all, you get all this in just $35. [I know am saying it again and again, but this is really the best part].

Sibal said that the device should be made available in 2011 once they get a manufacturer.

After this tech-breakthrough, and many more to come, the big question is: Will you buy the affordable and loaded touch screen tablet? Do let us know by dropping a comment below or tweeting us @YouthKiAwaaz. You can also email us at editor@youthkiawaaz.com.

The writer is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Youth Ki Awaaz, and also a tech enthusiast.

Image courtesy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10740817

1. Ravi Goyal

Man! Will have to wait for a year! But this really is something! A tablet for 1600! and it does not even look or sound that bad! India is going places! With cheapest cars, kindle like devices, and now this!

2. Sadhogopal Ram

I for one.. am sure going to buy it, Anshul.. given the factor that I travel a lot.. and though I’m a laptop guy.. but this sounds more fun and I too love the best part .. $35 ..ONLY :0 thats awesome!

3. Anshul Tewari

@Ravi: I know, an year is a long time… but so much for a breakthrough… DONE! India is surely going places… let’s hope that this device really turns out to be the helping hand in the education sector.

4. Anshul Tewari

@Sadhogopal: Very right! am still wondering how it would feel like to pay Rs. 500 (may be some time in 2012) and get a tablet PC 😀 And yes Sadho, if you travel then I believe this could be a good deal 🙂 Cheers!

5. Devi

Why not definitely luxury cum electro-hand makes life so easier..And with this much of bucks let my whole family have a piece with them too..

6. nitin

yes i will definatey buy the great indan invention.love u indians !

7. Vikram

I can’t wait to get my hands onto it.
    At such a low price it’s surely worth a buy…!!!

8. Sayan Basu

Its amazing.But when it will launch?

1. YouthKiAwaaz

Hey Sayan, you can expect it to be out by August 2011.

9. sai

this is simply amazing thought.but not sure of product gaurenty.but can we have chance of knowing the xact date of releasing the product.if any information regarding this product memory is known?

10. Dr vivek sharma

iam a medico with interest in gadgets ,concerned with education like notebooks,netbooks,tabletpc ,windows mobiles ,ebook readers ,anything which could read a ebook,customize, copy,search ,contents in my medical books.during my journey through mbbs i felt a need for one such device with above mentioned specifications.if any engineer could come up with a wonderful device it would be a boon to medico.they can learn many things bedside ,utilise their valauable time in wards,get interest in the subject,learn better and treat better to make india better jai hind

11. YouthKiAwaaz

Dear Malay,

It is poised to launch next month. That is, Feb 2011.

12. Anirudhshrdr

man it would just be ossom!!!!!! bt will it be available in Maharashtra if yes then where?????????

1. YouthKiAwaaz

Absolutely! It will be launched all over India, but, the question is that will it be launched on time. It had to launch on 10th Feb but we are still waiting for the news.

13. Arvindsingh2221

yes i wanna buy it

14. Balchuguriabhishek

I want the actual date of when it is going to be launched in the market
    Please reply and send me an email to balchuguriabhishek@gmail.com

15. Shahid

Its superb! Mind-blowing…amazing News for the people who love gadgets. And i m dying to see this in my hands…..

16. saloni marwah

where can v buy dis tablet n wen?

1. YouthKiAwaaz

Right now it is not available anywhere, friend. We hope it will be launched
      soon. You coan do a google search about the “Sakshat tablet” and get info
      from time to time.

17. faiyaz ahmad

bat bahut ho gayi ye student ko kab milega 

1. YouthKiAwaaz

Let’s hope they get it soon. Even we are getting upset now :-/

18. amrita

gr8 news………………..

19. Manish K.

I dont think that, this product gonna launch……….everything was publicity stunt.
    Even if launched, it will take not less than 5 years………….Bharat Mata ki Jai

20. Rishav Das

is the tablet Shaksat HCL is lounch in india? plz tell me anyone. i am mad to buy it.

1. YouthKiAwaaz

Hi Rishav, it hasn’t yet been made available. Whenever it launches we will let you know.

21. santosh kumar

send me detailed info about the tab pc 1600 price

want to buy a tab pc

santosh
    http://www.tmsoft.in
    +91-8797913876

22. raj kumar

i need to buy a tablet like this were can i buy it in tamilnadu please tell
    My email id : kathir_raj143@rediffmail.com
    phone no: +919789380654

23. tarveen kaur

we all were waiting for this from a long time. really its beneficial for education sector………………..
    hope we will get this in very future………..

24. unaisvt

i want to by one of this tablet pc
    give me your contact address

25. jagadeesh

yahoo i wonna buy this. this is the best and new tech.. and u have to buy and enjoy with ur nex min coputer. jak

By Syed Umar

By Manya Gupta