Movie Review: Inception – “Movie of the Decade”

By Akshay Subramaniam:

Inception, Christopher Nolan’s new masterpiece has hit the cinema theatres with a loud bang. Nolan has continued to leave the audience intrigued till the very end of the movie. People bow down to his imagination and skill as a director /writer. Produced by Warner Bros this adept director has once again proved that he hasn’t lost the knack to create mind-boggling movies. Beating Angelina Jolie’s SALT to second place this movie has topped the box office currently with an estimated 43.5 million dollars.

It can be seen that the lead cast played by Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page and Cillian Murphy were quite physically and mentally challenging during the making of the movie. They have acted their roles as any veteran in the industry would have, or maybe even better.

What sets this movie apart from the rest is the idea and theme behind it. A simple concept about dreams is quite elaborated and brought to life with enthralling creativity; it puzzles the entertained and continues to puzzle them even after the lights are back on.

The movie is based on a theory that dreams can influence us to a major extent. When we penetrate into them and manage to alter the subconscious mind, we can infuse a new idea in someone else’s head. Simple as it may sound there are potential risks linked with it; to generate a new idea in a foreign mind we must show no signs of the idea being extraneous. It must be simple and plain, the more complex the idea is, the tougher it is to implant. There are also other dangers like chances of being stuck inside a limbo forever, or if one is killed during ‘inception’ then he/she will come back to real world thereby making it almost impossible to go back in and repeat the procedure.

Time is another factor that is adversely affected while dreaming. There is an exponential rise in time as we go further and further in the dream world, meaning an hour in the real world would be an equivalent of nearly twelve hours in the dream state. As we go further in (dream within a dream) the time gap increases exponentially. People tend to lose their sanity as they go further in, making it arduous to bring them back to their senses.

The ‘kick’ is what that brings the dreamers back to the real world. A kick may be a sudden impulse, like falling off a chair, or anything that might create propulsion to wake the dreamers from their dream.

Despite the risks the Dominic Cobb (DiCaprio), is willingly to take the risk due to some personal reasons and assembles a team of six to execute the operation. However the team is unaware that Leonardo has a few dark secrets of his own; as they are kept in ignorance from the audacity of the task and are lead to a situation from which they can no longer turn backward.

Currently ranked by the IMBD with a 9.1 it stands third among all the movies. Skilled screenplay, dialogues and a few twists in the tale keeps the audience engaged. It is definitely a movie worth watching on the big screens…

The writer is a Correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz.

1. kang

This is a rather poor review.

The movie is all as great as the author of this entry claims, but in his enthusiasm he does two poor mistakes which any feature review must not do.

1. This review is a Spoiler! (It conveys you a part of story that was not meant by the director to be known to you before you’ve watched the movie.)

2. Objective comparison. The author glorifies the elements through comparison, a cheap modus. All over he says ‘X’ thing is great among all ‘alphabets’. The tag-line to this article ‘movie of the decade’ itself is an example, to his utter disregard towards other great movies published in this decade. This would have been acceptable had this been his personal view on a personal blog, but not so much in a public forum.

Also he goes on making amateur mistakes. One of them is when he misguides the reader that the movie currently rates ‘9.1’ at IMDb. The ratings at IMDb follow a formula, detailed study of which reveals that newer movies always rank higher.

I would rate this article as a poor one.

By Saranya Bhattacharjya

By Abhishek Karadkar

By Abhishek Karadkar