Safeguarding and Improvement Environment

Kush Kalra:

Take care of your own area:

When people mess up their own possessions and area, it can slop over into your own. When people seem to be incapable of caring for their own things and places, it is a symptom of their feeling that they don’t really belong there and don’t really own their own things. When young, the things they were “given” had too many cautions and strings attached or were taken away from them by brothers, sisters or parents. And they possibly did not feel welcome.

The possessions, the rooms and work spaces, the vehicles of such people advertise that they are not really the property of anyone. Worse, a sort of rage against possessions can sometimes be seen. Vandalism is a manifestation of it: the house or car “nobody owns” is soon ruined.

Those who build and try to maintain low-income housing are often dismayed by the rapidity with which ruin can set in. The poor, by definition own little or nothing. Harassed in various ways, they also come to feel they do not belong.

To protect your own possessions and places, get others to take care of theirs.

Help take care of the Planet:

The idea that one has a share in the planet and that one can and should help care for it may seem very large and, to some, quite beyond reality. But today what happens on the other side of the world, even so far away, can affect what happens in your own home.

Recent discoveries by space probes to Venus have shown that our own world could be deteriorated to a point where it would no longer support life. And it possibly could happen in one’s own lifetime.

Cut down too many forests, foul too many rivers and seas, mess up the atmosphere and we have had it. The surface temperature can go roasting hot, the rain can turn to sulfuric acid. All living things could die.

One can ask, “Even if that true, what could I do about it?”  Well, even if one were simply to frown when people do things to mess up the planet, one would be doing something about it. Even if one only had the opinion that it was just not a good thing to wreck the planet and mentioned that opinion, one would be doing something.

Care of the planet begins in one’s own front yard. It extends through the area one travels to get to school or work. It covers such places as where one picnics or goes on vacation. The litter which masses up the terrain and water supply, the dead brush which invites fire, these are things one need not contribute to and which, in otherwise idle moments, one can do something about. Planting a tree may seem little enough but it is something.

In some countries, senior citizens, the unemployed do not just sit around and go to pieces: they are used to care for the gardens and parks and forests, to pick up the litter and add some beauty to the world. There is no lack of resources to take care of the planet. They are mainly ignored. One notes that the Civilian Conservation Corps in the US, organized in the 1930’s to absorb the energies of unemployed officers and youth, was one of the few, if not the only project of that depressed era, that created far more wealth for the state than was expended. It reforested large areas and did other valuable things that cared for the US part of the planet. One notes that the CCC no longer exists. One can do as little as add one’s opinion that such projects are worthwhile and support opinion leaders and organizations that carry on environmental work.

There is no lack of technology. But technology and its application cost money. Money is available when sensible economic, policies which do not penalize everyone, are followed. Such policies exist.

There are many things one can do to help take care of the planet. They begin with the idea that “one should“. They progress with suggesting to others “they should“.

Man has gotten up to the potential of destroying the planet. He must be pushed on up to the capability and actions of saving it.

It is, after all, what we’re standing on.

“IF OTHERS DO NOT HELP SAFEGUARD AND IMPROVE THE ENVIRONMENT, THE WAY TO HAPPINESS COULD HAVE NO ROADBED TO TRAVEL ON AT ALL.”

The writer is a correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz and holds interest in researching and presenting an in-depth analysis of issues with possible solutions.

image courtesy: http://aunz.siemens.com/Environment/Pages/CC_2091_Environment.aspx

By ARUN KASHYAP

By Sheeva Yamuna

By Charkha features