In Focus: Hotel Management as a Career Option

By Divyanshu Singhal:

The physics of an engineer, the anatomy of a doctor, the theorems of a mathematician, the calculations of a chartered accountant, are all over head transmissions for you. But you still have the zeal to work. You have manners that might put even the Germans to shame and have niche of handling people even much more barbaric than the Greeks, then hotel management is definitely the thing for you.

Among the emerging professional courses that have attracted the youngsters in the recent years, hotel management is very prominent. The boom in the tourism industry has resulted in the immense growth of hotel industry in India. The hotel industry promises a bright future for anyone who wishes to take up a career in this segment. The students opting for hotel management career courses must have an affinity towards socializing and understanding the needs of the people. As hotels fall under the service industry, the motive of hotel management courses in India is to prepare the students to face the challenges of this competitive world. As far as tourism industry in India is concerned, it is attracting tourists from across the world and this definitely calls for quality hospitality.

For those of you who think Hotel Management resembles in any form to The Suite life of Zack and Cody, the popular American comedy series, you are exactly right. Well, at least, partially right. Running a hotel, no matter how high class and exclusive it may be, it inevitably results in sometimes comical and always memorable experiences. The hotel business is unpredictable and at times, zany, because you are dealing with unpredictable and zany creatures, that is, human beings.

Though every hotel has a different personality and composition, the ABC of running a hotel is the same in India as it is in any other country. The key ingredient is, of course, customer service. The customer service is facilitated with friendly supporting staff along with the right tinge of professionalism. You shall be able to make an impression on the customers that you deal with, for you shall remember, in the Hotel Industry, the first impression is the last one. It is not as easy as it sounds. You have to be at your best behavior at all the times. There may be moments, when the mood of the customer shall reflect in his behavior towards you. But you cannot lose your calm, or else you may shown the doors. Abrasiveness and primitiveness shall always be dealt with solitaire and smile, when it is hard to be that way. You should have the kind of humor that should put even the nervy customer at an ease. You should even have an eye for detail, for this is an industry that demands cleanliness at all times. And in addition to all this versatility, you should be really good at managing people for it is just not an industry of you and me. It deals with managing hundreds of people especially if you are in some of the best ones.

Hotel Management Course Admissions

Candidates seeking admission to the hotel management courses in India need to pass their 12th standard examination with English as a subject. Students with a bachelor’s degree from any recognized university may also join some of the management training schemes offered by various institutions. Admission depends on the performance of the students in the written admission test, personal interview round and group discussion session. The time duration of the courses offered by several institutes may vary from six months to three years.

The various courses offered in Hotel Management

BHM – Bachelor of Hotel Management

DHM – Diploma in Hotel Management

BHMCT – Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology

DHMCT – Diploma in Hotel Management and Catering Technology

PGDHM – Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management

The Top Ten Hotel Management Institutes in India

S.no Name of the Institute City
1 Oberai Centre of Learning and Development New Delhi
2 Institute of Hotel Management Mumbai
3 Welcom Group Graduate School of Hotel Administration Manipal
4 Institute of Hotel Management New Delhi
5 Institute of Hotel Management Aurangabad
6 Institute of Hotel Management Bangalore
7 Institute of Hotel Management Chennai
8 Institute of Hotel Management Kolkata
9 Institute of Hotel Management Ahmadabad
10 Christ College Bangalore

Hotel management job opportunities exists both in the private and public sector. One can look for various openings available in the hotels of the nation. Most of the hotels in India offer lucrative pay packages to the suitable candidates. The jobs offered are satisfying as well as highly rewarding. Several large hospitality corporations such as Marriott, Taj, Oberai, Hilton Worldwide, IHG, Hyatt, Sasi Park, Wyndham, Beeran international Parks and Resorts, and various management companies offer placements for students majoring in Hospitality and Tourism Management. They are the Microsoft and Google of the Hotel Industry. These are the brands that you must have heard of and would definitely want to be associated with, if you are in this industry.

The jobs that are offered in Hotel Management

The Managers

Hotel managers are responsible for the efficient and profitable operation of their establishments. The General Manager controls the finances, establishment norms to be followed by the staff while providing their services to the guests, housekeeping, food quality, decor and interiors. Assistant Managers supervise the day-to-day operations of their departments. Large hotels have Resident Managers to resolve problems round the clock. The Department Managers work under the supervision and guidance of the top management.

The Front Office
The first people to welcome guests in a hotel are the personnel in the front office. The Front Office Manager supervises the work of the receptionists, information clerk, reservation clerk and other service personnel like bell captain, bell boy and doorman. The Bell Boy assists the guests with the baggage to check in to the room. The Bell Captain supervises the work of bell boys. The Information Clerk delivers the telephone messages to the guests through the Bell Captain.

F&B (Food and Beverage)
This department includes:

• Culinary Unit
  • Steward Department
  • Food Service Department

Restaurant and Food Service Managers are responsible for stocks of tableware, linens, paper, supplies furniture, and fixtures cleaning. They arrange for equipment maintenance and repairs. They also have to maintain records of hours and wages of employees, payrolls, and taxes, etc. Banquet Managers are in-charge of catering assignments.

Housekeeping
A hotel requires maintenance on a very large scale. Hotels have a house keeping department to look after cleanliness in rooms, lounges, lobby, restaurant, dining halls, parks etc. This department functions under the supervision of the Executive Housekeeper.

Executive Housekeepers are responsible for ensuring that guest rooms, meeting and banquet rooms and public areas are clean, orderly and well maintained. They train, schedule and supervise the work of housekeepers, inspect rooms and order for the necessary supplies. Housekeeping is a round the clock job .This department works in shifts.

Marketing Department
Today, marketing of services is a major aspect of hotel management. Sales and marketing division works to identify the needs of prospective customers, and develop stay packages to suit their needs and sell the services, which have been developed.

The biggest question in your mind: What exactly must the salary be if we were to talk about it in figures? A fresh graduate can expect asalary of Rs.50,000 to Rs.2,00,000 per annum depending on the kind of hotel a person is working in. There isn’t any difference in the salary offered for the various departments of hospitality management such as front office, housekeeping, butlers, stewards, chefs etc. Most hotels also offer perks such as meals and accommodation.  And heavens, if you are working abroad and on board cruise ships, which are possible after 2-5 years of work experience, it offers a significantly higher pay.

And when it comes to the locations of your workplace, it can be anything from the busy metropolitans, to the ones in quite mountains, to the lodges in lush green forest reserves, to the crew in the ever moving seas. The choice is all yours.

And if you were to sum it all up, this is definitely the industry that is at its boom. Till the reproduction in this world does not come to a halt and the hunger to visit new places does not die down, this is definitely one of the safest options around. But sincerity and smartness are the  traits one should be looking for, if they are to survive in the same.

1. Kousi

Hotel management is an wonderful career. Thanks for Your valuable information.

2. Anon

where do you get 50k

3. Anon

even in 10 yrs of career its not possible

4. neelam chauhan

i have heard that hotel manag. is nit right for girls ….. coz girls have to face a lot of compromising problems in future…… how far is this true…. please help……..

5. rahul

I am a hotel management graduate (unfortunately).
    dont play with career and your parents money.
    you will loose both your money as well as your family.
    following are the positions that you will be offered after the graduation
    FOOD & BEVERAGE – waiter some hotel give the name as steward , guest service valet etc but the baseline is you are a waiter.
    and we indians get a@@##$ clientle like gujratis . they will treat you like thier servants.

Food production- a cook
    where you will have to stay scared and cut stupid vegetables and work with the bunch of gadwaliis.

housekeeping – nothing but a room attendant where u work with a bunch of uneducated chaps. you clean toilets and make beds etc.

frontoffice- in front office you wont have any hotel managment graduates around you it would be only bcom graduates.

so guys after doing hotel management you will have to work with some uneducated and with some educated with different academic background.

I want all the newspaper should take a serious note of it and please don’t advertise the hotel management colleges which is private , neve make a fool out of people with showing fancy pictures of firangs serving wine and cutting vegetables or a hot babe in an executive dress and standing behind the front desk

6. Supercop192

It is a good career. I passed out in 2001 from IHM. Money is not everything. It is your CHOICE of career which should be right. If you like it, there’s no limit. I earn 30 lacs per annum. Albeit I am not working in hotel industry any more but the IHM learnings and prior experience in Hotels and Restaurants has helped me catapult my career.
    Hotel Management is not for ‘2nd class earning’ students who didn’t do well in academics, you have to be the best in whatever you do, wherever and whatever field you are in. If you follow your aspirations, sky is the limit and hotel management is no different. Cheers

7. priya teke

Good article and right to the point.this article really helpful for me thanks a lot…..kepp sharing such nice article…thanks once again…..
    <a href="http://saytooloud.com/career-guidance/complete-guide-mba-hospitality-management/&quot;

8. Aastha Gupta

There are many great options for hotel management aspirants as we all are familiar about the fast growth of the hotel industry it is getting modernised day by day so there are lots of options left for the hotel management students like chef, restaurant manager, banquet manager, food and beverage services, culinary arts, hospitality and much more. Quantum University located in Roorkee provides short term and long term hotel management courses at a very affordable cost. The best part is interdisciplinary format that differs Quantum from other top leading universities where students can study majors along with minors without paying extra and also follow passion programs

By Internshala

By Poorvi Tiwari

By Ranjit Kumar