LG Optimus GT540: Android Based Mobile For As Low As Rs. 11K

By Anshul Tewari:

About a month ago, we did a review of the Android Operating system being the future of mobile computing and a bit about its specs. Android, as an operating system for phones, has gained much mileage for its features, suaveness and the ease of functioning, loaded with apps and much more. The usual Android based mobile costed around Rs. 30,000 (more or less), which could not be termed as a phone for the masses.

But this is where the story changes. In April 2010, LG launched the Optimus GT540, an Android based mobile phone with slick looks, priced just at Rs. 11,000. This handset runs on the Android 1.6 operating system, coupled with a 3 inch touch display, a 3 megapixel camera, 4 GB in-built memory expandable upto 32 GB.

It has all the features of a smartphone, without much complexity, making it a perfect buy for first time users. “By making LG Optimus more approachable, we hope more people will give smartphones a try,” said Dr. Skott Ahn, President and CEO of LG Electronics.

The variety of colours in the LG Optimus GT540

Specifications

The fully loaded Optimus boasts of 480×320 pixels resolution, a 3 megapixel camera with geo-tagging, auto face-tagging, face-to-action technology, 3D thumbnail gallery, 3.5mm headphone jack, GPRS/EDGE, Bluetooth 2.1, GPS, Wi-Fi, DivX support, 3G Connectivity, 32GB expandable memory, microSD card slot, Customizable home screen themes along with a 1500 mAh battery.

This phone solves the problem that many of us face while accessing a smart phone, that of being too technical to handle. The good looks and dedicated social networking client adds to the value. Powered with widgets for RSS amongst many others and a design perfect for the shows of gadget lovers, the phone enables quick wireless data transfer (docs+email+calender+contacts and more) from your PC/Laptop/Netbook to the mobile. It has google mobile services such as Android Market, Google Maps, Gmail, YouTube and Gtalk.

The Phone is loaded with a number of apps

The phone comes in 4 different colous to suit your needs and we recommend it as a good buy considering value it gives for the money it asks for. Even though you do not expect a mobile worth Rs. 11,000 to have a 3mp camera, we can very well do with it considering the features it has to offer.

What do you think about the LG Optimus GT540? Do let us know by dropping a comment below or emailing us at editor@youthkiawaaz.com. You can also tweet us @YouthKiAwaaz.

The writer is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Youth Ki Awaaz. A gadget enthusiast, he has special interests in development journalism and technology reviews. Catch him on twitter at @anshul_tewari.

By Manya Gupta

By Suman Pandit