The Best Man Diaries

By Siddhartha Roy:

Women fantasize about weddings since they were little. They see blessings being showered upon them as they stand next to their Prince Charming — the adorable couple oozing love and happiness. Heck! They can even smell the flowers and their lives happily ever after.

Where do guys come in? Besides being labeled ‘morons’ — for choosing football over watching ‘The Notebook’ and ‘insensitive’ for not understanding the women folk — as if that will drill anything into their heads, I still doubt if boys dream of marriage in their growing years.  Do we? Of course, we don’t! And this is apparent from our choice of video games over doll houses, hanging out in the field rather than in the wash room discussing Tanishq wedding jewelry, watching wrestling over watching some romantic tear- jerker while cuddling a Teddy bear. I guess the idea of weddings is something we grow up to. (read: Maybe!)

But the fun parts of weddings are manifold. I especially love the idea of the ‘Best Man’ in Christian weddings. And, believe me when I say this, I am dying to be one. It is rare privilege to be able to have fun at the groom’s expense and host bachelor parties which may include a lot of things that shall remain unmentioned here. Perhaps I’d coax one of my idiot friends to do an encore wedding in a church on one of their anniversaries as a present to his wife (or increase my Christian buddies circle) so that I could stand next to the idiot in front of the altar.

Oh yes! I want to be dashingly decked up in an impeccable penguin suit with a white rose pinned on to it. And (besides flirting with the bridesmaids and getting kicked by my girlfriend) slip itching powder into the poor bloke’s shirt while he watches his girl walk down the aisle. And it is here I would pause all my crazy antics to witness those moments of unabashed courage as they both say ‘I do’.

For that is the thing about weddings. Beyond bachelor parties and unlimited food, it is a celebration when everyone comes together — even if it’s for one night — and makes one believe in the power of the human heart.

For that night of celebration is a promise. Like a reward for persisting through life alone for so long. A belief in each other and the possibility of perpetual love. A decision to ignore, simply rise above the pain of the past. A covenant, which at once binds two souls and yet severe prior ties. A celebration of the chance taken and the challenge that lies ahead.

For two will always be stronger than one, like a team braced against the tempest civil world. And love will always be the guiding force in their lives. For the wedding is mere formality. Only an announcement to the world of feelings long held. Promises made long ago. In the sacred spaces of our hearts.

Dante said, ‘Remember tonight for it is the beginning of always. And this Best Man wishes the same for everyone who dares to venture into those waters. A toast! To you the reader! And whatever/whoever your heart desires for!

P.S.: My apologies to the women folk. I hope I made it up to you in the end. We grow up, right? Some of the lines appeared in an enlightening episode of the television series ‘One Tree Hill’.

The writer is a Correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz. You can catch his blog at http://sidroy.wordpress.com/ .

Image courtesy: http://www.speechsuccess.com/

1. deepika

hey hie sidd. nyc article. hey uumm am nt able to find any option to uplaod my writing, i may sound dumb bt cn u please help me find out the uploading options…will b thankfull

1. YouthKiAwaaz

Hi Deepika,

If you wish to upload your article at Youth Ki Awaaz just send it to us at info@youthkiawaaz.com and we will handle the rest.

Cheers,
      Team Youth Ki Awaaz

By marvel hela

By Saadath Mohi-ud-din

By Ayeshna Kalyan