Weekly Recap: Bihar Elections, Caste Census, NGOs In Education [and more]

Here is a recap of all that topped the previous week ending November 28th, 2010, at YouthKiAwaaz.com. From the Bihar elections to the Indian mentality and issues of NGOs in Education, here’s all:

“I, as a Bihari, feel Vindicated” Local’s Rejoice As Nitish Makes A Comeback — A Local’s Perspective

I was born and bred in Patna, Bihar. I am too young to remember the details but can recollect the news flashes from when the legendary “fodder Scam” was uncovered. What followed was a mockery of the Indian political system. Rabri Devi, a woman the people of the state had heard little about now and then but never seen, succeeded her husband as the Chief Minister.

Is Change Too Tedious To Be Undone? A Perspective On Energy Efficiency

Lately, the news has been less than pleasant to read. With an unstable economy, an ever increasing amount of fossil fuels released into the atmosphere and obesity rates on the rise, it’s hard to see the positives in our world. Every, new technological advancement seems to bring an equal, if not greater, set back. Cell phones cause driving accidents and radiation-induced brain damage, social networks lead to constant distractions and a decline in face to face interaction and synthetic growth hormones are negatively altering child development, causing young boys and girls to go through puberty at a shockingly young age.

Does India Really Need A Caste Census? [PROS & CONS]

The much debated topic in India has been the Caste Census. Is there really a need for a caste census in India? Well first of all, what is caste census? Census is a term used for numbering of people, valuation of their estate for the purpose of imposing taxes. Caste is a social reality which determines one’s social status and the limits of the social relations and also opportunities for advancement in the life of an individual.

The Real Indian Problem: Indian Issues Or Indian Mentality? [#INSPIRATIONAL]

That day the topic of discussion given to us in class was “The PROBLEM of India”. Immediately after the topic was revealed I heard people around me talking about poverty, unemployment, corruption, population, pollution, terrorism, eve-teasing, lack of infrastructure, illiteracy and eventually I accepted that the list was never-ending. But then by paying a little more attention I figured out that the discussion was about the PROBLEM and not PROBLEMS of India. And this omission of letter ‘S’ from the topic of discussion made me ponder a little deeper rather than just skimming the surface.

NGOs in Education: Effort vs. Money and Teaching vs. Mentoring

We have seen a humongous increase in the number of volunteer movements particularly after the year 2003-04 covering a wide range of social service arenas from blood donation and banking to providing shelter for the underprivileged, especially focused on child welfare. Quite a lot of them are entirely devoted to education. Some of the prominent organizations have a continuous development process, indicating very strongly that they are not just names. You can see their actual ground work everywhere here.

Save The Earth, Start Saying “NO”

told my friend that night, “Please don’t litter. It is our city, our country.” And the reply he gave me on my face was “Ye India hai. I will keep London clean”. Global warming, soil erosion, habitat destruction, acid rains, electronic waste, water crisis … and the list never come to an end … and to be candid it will only increase. And the oddest thing attached to this is that whether we are educated or not, somewhere we are well aware of these problems … it is evidently all around us. Thanks to our media!

By Himani choudhary

By Shivang Verma