5+ Gadgets To Look Forward To In 2011 [WITH PICS]

By Rishabh Prasad:

2010 was a remarkable year for electronics industry with multiple revolutions taking place. The year demonstrated certain uprisings in the market with the Tablet evolution and 3D revolution. With the rapid advancement in technology, 2011 is ready to rock and roll with much smarter, easier, better and beautiful upcoming gizmos.

1) Sony Zeus (Playstation Phone)

Sony is ready to launch its much rumored Playstation Phone Zeus in early 2011. Instead of coming up with an OS of its own, Zeus will have Android 3.0 Gingerbread operating system. It will contain 1 GB ROM and 512 MB RAM equipped with a 3.8″ touchscreen and a touch pad just like the gaming console of PSP. If everything turns out well, ‘Zeus’ it will be in the market.

The Sony Zeus PlayStation Phone

2) iPhone 5

With 2008 bringing iPhone 3G, 2009 bringing iPhone 3GS and 2010 bringing iPhone 4, 2011 is ready to come up with iPhone 5 for all the i-maniacs. It will be sleeker and is expected to have face recognition mechanism. It will have a 64GB of memory with OLED screen. It will also feature GPS navigation, scratch protected screen and a pico projector which is used for presentation on flat screens and walls. It will have a dual core processor and the most advanced graphic chips. iPhone 5 will also provide the facility to watch local channels. Rumors also say that with the same OLED technology, Apple has plans to come up with iPad 2 in 2011.

iPhone 5 is expected to have a lot more features than its previous features.

3) Asus Tablets

Taiwan-based Asus plans to launch a Google Android-powered 10 inch tablet in March 2011. Another 12 inch touchscreen tablet, Eee Pad EP121, will be launched in December or January. This tablet will be more expensive because it will be able to turn into a laptop computer when hooked up to a docking station that will come with the tablet. It will run on Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium OS with a dual core processor. Asus also plans to launch another Microsoft-powered tablet EP101TC. The 10-inch tablet will run on Windows Embedded Compact 7 operating system with an ARM CPU processor and 64 GB of storage.

”]4) BlackBerry Playbook

RIM claims its tablet to be the first multiprocessing, multitasking, uncompromised browsing, enterprise ready professional grade-tablet. The tablet has an OS created by the QNX (a commercial Unix-like real-time operating system) called the BlackBerry Tablet OS. It has the Adobe Flash 10.1. It has a 7″ LCD display, a 1024 x 600 screen resolution, a multi-touch capacitive screen, and a built-in micro USB connector and weighs just 400 grams. It has a symmetric dual-core 1GHz CPU, 1GB of RAM, and a 3 megapixel front-facing camera along with a 5 megapixel rear lens. The company says that it has video conferencing capability with a crystal clear HD display and rich stereo sound.

The Blackberry Playbook Features

5) HTC to push 3D

The Taiwanese mobile phone manufacturer, HTC, is reported to be working on a 3D-enabled Android smartphone. With this, consumers will get to see a whole new dimension being added in the smartphone arena. HTC wants to be the first to get the new technology into the hands of consumers. HTC is expected to tell more details about their 3D smartphone ambitions possibly in February around the Mobile World Congress 2011 to be held in Barcelona.

The HTC 3D phone could bring in an all new dimension to mobile phone usage.

6) Nintendo 3DS

The Nintendo 3DS is an upcoming portable gaming console, which can produce 3D effects without the need for any special glasses via a process called auto stereoscopy. It will be released in Japan on February 26, 2011. The 3DS will have two cameras on the outside of the device, capable of taking 3D photos and capturing 3D video, as well as a camera positioned above the top screen on the inside of the device which faces the player, capable of taking 2D photos and capturing 2D videos. Both cameras will have a resolution of 640×480 pixels (0.3 MP).

The Nintendo 3DS

7) Nokia N9

Although unannounced at the Beijing-based conference, we can also expect an all new UI from Nokia, in the form of MeeGo OS. This platform looks set to make its debut on the Nokia N9 in mid-2011. This model will feature Nokia ClearBlack display, Scratch-resistant oleo phobic surface, QWERTY keyboard, Multi-touch input method, Proximity sensor for auto turn-off, Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate and Handwriting recognition. It will have a 5 MP camera, 64 GB of internal storage, 1GHz processor and will come in three colours — Black, Silver and Blue. This will be a huge step by Nokia to come up with a totally new UI rather than Symbian.

With the ongoing extensive research works, loads of surprises might come our way in the coming year. 2011 is yet to be seen.

By Manya Gupta

By Suman Pandit

By Gautami Nair