Emergence Of ‘BRIC’ As Superpowers Inviting Investments: Worth It?

By Pallavi Malhotra:

West, the superior other side of the globe, is no longer considered the same. With the changing global trends, the future super powers are much talked about. Brazil, Russia, India, and China, BRIC, as they are collectively called, have shown evidence that they are not called the future ‘super powers’ for no reason.

The BRIC strategy was inspired by a paper published by Goldman Sachs Group Inc. in 2003. Titled ‘Dreaming with BRICs: The Path to 2050′ the report predicted that in less than 40 years, the combined economies of these high-growth countries would be larger than that of the top six nations today in U.S. dollar terms.

Presently, the BRIC countries are better off compared to the already industrialized nations that have trouble facing economic crisis, and have a low rate of economic growth. Industrialized countries are still trying to curb their unemployment rate, while the BRIC nations are zooming past at a rate of about 7-10% economic growth per annum. Investors are running towards BRIC nations to take advantage of better opportunities, lower prices, and higher profits. For instance, Volvo has highly invested in China and other BRIC nations, in order to capitalize on the huge market opportunity and growth potential.

Statistically, it is believed that investments in these countries is beneficial as the GDP of these countries would surpass that of US and other developed economies in only about 4-5 years. Though these countries have exceptional scope for growth, it should also be considered that economies can take a turn for the worse any time. Drastic decline in economies of these countries is improbable, but improbability does not mean impossibility. Fortunes of these economies may fluctuate. Considering that China has an unstable political situation, it can cause negative economic implications. CSI 300 index of China has been growing steadily, which means that if Chinese economy gets hit, it will take down the world economy along with it.

Also, these days, the efficiency of BRIC nations has reduced compared to their performance last year. According to Economic Times, the reason for this is that shares of companies from the world’s biggest developing economies are increasingly featuring in global fund portfolios. This competition is a probable reason for the underperformance of BRIC, compared to its peers, this year. To add to this, a person wrote as a comment to an article on BRIC economy, “BRICS are very faddish. I sold latex over 50 and it dropped to 11 and now is above 30. Brazil has done well this year and the gentlemen writing this article thinks it will do well next year. I would remind investors that BRIC’s are an area where it is important “not to forget to sell.”

However, looking at the current trends, it is unquestionable that the BRIC nations will be the force behind new global economy. Owing to their growing educated population, lack of major debts, and abundance of resources, these nations are sure to enjoy high economic returns, and thereby will earn huge profits to the investors. Thus, investments in these nations are definitely recommended, though not glut investments, as caution never harms. It seems that East will soon be the new West.

Image courtesy: http://trendsupdates.com/does-the-future-belong-to-the-bric-countries/

1. Amar Tejaswi

“Statistically, it is believed that investments in these countries is beneficial as the GDP of these countries would surpass that of US and other developed economies in only about 4-5 years.”
    I don’t get you here. You mean the combined GDP of BRIC will cross that of US and the EU (if that is what you mean by ‘other developed economies’)? For the sake of statistics, I think we can safely consider Goldman Sachs predictions. In one such prediction, the numbers are the following:

2050 Rank Country Name 2000 2010 2020 2030 2040 2050
    1 CHN China 1078 2998 7070 14312 26439 44453
    * EU EU 9395 12965 16861 21075 28323 35288
    2 USA US 9825 13271 16415 20833 27229 35165
    3 IND India 469 929 2104 4935 12367 27803
    4 JPN Japan 4176 4601 5221 5810 6039 6673
    5 BRA Brazil 762 668 1333 2189 3740 6074
    6 RUS Russia 391 847 1741 2980 4467 5870
    7 UK UK 1437 1876 2285 2649 3201 3782
    8 GER Germany 1875 2212 2524 2697 3147 3603
    9 FRA France 1311 1622 1930 2267 2668 3148
    10 ITA Italy 1078 1337 1553 1671 1788 2061
    These numbers are bit pessimistic though. Still I suggest you verify what you said. And as far the Chinese political setup is concerned, I fail to understand why you deem it unstable. You could do well to clarify your stand.

By Kaustav Dass

By Vaishnavi Gond

By Akash Dutta