Eve Teasing In India: A Dark Blot!

By Dishi Solanki:

Some hours back: My roommate came into the room less enthusiastic than usual. She seemed to be shrinking with fear stuck on her face. Unable to further bear it, I broke the silence. Petrified & completely disgusted, she broke down in front of me with a stream of tears rushing out. Soon I realized that during commuting in a public transport she was constantly harassed by an extremely lewd guy followed by bad comments and unwanted physical contact.

Multitudinous women like me and my roommate stay in a city away from their home, devoid of the protective shelter of their parents or loved ones. Society even today is an intimidating dark ghost ready to gulp you down if you are a woman alone. School & college- going students and working women are regularly subjected to humiliating comments by unruly men. Even though women have started matching shoulders with men proving themselves to be no less, some men still consider them to be no more than a piece of meat to lay their hands on. How often have you heard a guy say that he was molested? But be it a crowded bus or a deserted street the list of lecherous men ready to pounce on a woman is long.

It is rightly said that it’s tough to be a girl in a man’s world. Why do we need masculine support to deal with such lechers? Most of the men swab up events of eve-teasing by thrusting it on the dressing sense of girls as the motivating cause. Wearing skimpy clothes is surely a treat to a man’s eye. But to counter this are all those women from towns and villages who also go through such a mental trauma even after remaining fully clad. Eve-teasing has heart-rending results like death and when it goes unchecked, it could lead to public humiliation of women even in broad daylight. Eve-teasing can leave a permanent psychological scar on women. Though being a burning issue, it is not taken seriously due to the silence of the victims being crushed under their own fear and the humiliation suffered.

It’s no cakewalk to deal such situations but some precautionary measures can always save us from inviting a problem. Never have your guard down while walking or travelling because losing attention can make you fall prey to letching eyes. As far as possible avoid taking lonely routes. Be sure to a walk through a place that isn’t secluded. Dress according to the area that you are going to pass through. Try to learn basic self defence. Finally if caught in such a situation be sure to exercise your vocal cords hard enough to be heard as far and wide as possibler. If you feel your voice is not enough, be smart enough and run like there is no tomorrow.

I am waiting for the day when women will be as free as birds.

Image courtesy.

1. Divya Jyoti via Facebook

I so agree !!!!As I read this post i was reminded of what I went through few months back . Its a harsh truth, sad to accept , but even today It remains a Man’s world !!! 🙁 ‘coz we are but girls and men have nothing to lose !!!
    http://dj-reflections.blogspot.com/2010/01/its-mans-worldoh-yes-it-is-sigh.html

1. dishi

i totally empathize wid u divya…nd surrendering to such situations should be a big no.come up wid some solutions as to how we can fight bek such menace

2. Mohammad Omar via Facebook

In precautionary measures, you can also add fiery red chilli powder. Give ’em in the eye when they deserve it. I dunno about other states but perhaps in Delhi, the situation is way worse than the rest…
    Delhi is chock full of sexually frustrated males.

3. Mohammad Omar via Facebook

Today I was going to my exam centre in a DTC bus, sitting at the back. A girl was sitting in the front of the adjacent row. Then along came a Dheeru-Raju type character who inspite of noticing several empty seats, sat plonk in the one just adjacent to her.
    And gosh…he started gawking at her in an incredulous manner (maybe suggesting that why she was meddling around with her phone and not sitting and chatting with him- the hotshot dude of the bus).
    It was quite an uncomfortable situation and all the angry glares and stares did nothing to deter him till the girl got down after a couple of stops.

4. Youth Ki Awaaz: Mouthpiece For the Youth via Facebook

@Mohammad Omar: This is an extremely sad situation and an every day story in buses. What makes it worse is the reaction of the people around. We need a complete social mindset reform here. Youth Ki Awaaz will press for these reforms, we would like informed young people like yourself and Divya to suggest what you would like to see for a better tomorrow.

5. Mohammad Omar via Facebook

@YKA: Yeah, right. A complete mindset social reform is needed. That was the case with a DTC bus. I am mighty glad that Blueline buses are being phased out, the situation is quite horrible there (because many a times the conductors and helpers are complicit in the offence).
    And if you have ever travelled by an EMU train (I did once), you’ll be thoroughly disgusted at what’s in store for the ladies. Apart from the usual barging in the ladies compartment, there are gangs of eve-teasers at most of the stations. I never saw any police personnel at any station in case things got out of hand. The authorities, of course, most probably turn a deaf ear downplaying such incidents as ‘common’ (I’m assuming this from general experience with other govt. authorities)
    No wonder that N-E girls feel highly unsafe in Delhi.

1. dishi

hey omar thankz for typing down ur views here…well i guess d scenario which u just witnessed is a situation which most of the girls daily fight with..D worst part being the society tslf. we need more of motivational words turn into action kinda situation from the youth tday so that we can eradicate such activities form the society

6. Youth Ki Awaaz: Mouthpiece For the Youth via Facebook

True! Situation worsens for N-E girls.

7. Suyash Pandey

its certainly very sad. As a son, brother and a friend this issue horrifies the sensible men of our society too. My blood boils when I see such things and on various occasions I have taken action to teach the culprits a lesson. But it is most horrifying when even the educated men from well off families engage in such activities. And worse is when they witness such incidents and choose to chicken away instead of putting their manhood to a good cause. I condemn violence but if the the moronic culprits don’t fear the Law and order, they better fear the REAL MEN.

8. The NRI

It’s a disgraceful practice and thankfully one that more people are condemning as completely unacceptable. The first thing that should be done is the media refrain from using the term eve teasing and refer instead to the term sexual assault, which is what it really is.

We just published a piece on eve teasing that I thought might interest you.

http://www.the-nri.com/index.php/2011/01/problem-of-eve-teasing-in-india/

9. palak budhiraja

if a man has a freedom to wear cloths acoording to fashion……so, why the women donot have this right???????specialy in this democratic country [India]……

10. Urvashi Sharma

The article is good but the precautionary measures are so regressive!!

11. Rhythm Sachdeva

Self Defense, only the way out. Schools and all the institutions for that matter should organize classes on daily basis for the same. If we can handle the big industries and the country for that matter then we can surely handle these lewd men too.

By Heena Shah

By Hemant Thakur