Black Marketing In Railways: How They Operate And How To Stop Them

By Pallavi Maheshwari:

Black marketing is quite common. Chances are that most of us have been experienced this phenomenon, yet it is an issue which has not generated enough momentum amongst the public, despite being a matter requiring imperative attention the initiative taken by our government to stop black marketing of railway tickets has hardly brought any positive results, as the black marketeers in connivance with some railway officers manage to procure most of the tickets to not only raise difficulty for the normal public but also create an absolute crisis.

People assemble in long queues at various ticket counters from early morning and wait for their chance but the front liners are mainly the black marketers and their accomplices. Each black marketer hires young men to buy tickets in bulk, from the booths and the counters. These tickets are preserved and are sold at much higher rates later on. This is how the gates to the preponderance of touts and black marketers are opened. The case in point here would be that of the railway station(s) in Delhi.

A witness, who went to buy tickets at Ajmeri Gate railway station, reportedly heard a black marketer named Deepak saying, “India is great and here money can do anything”. He also added that he was the prime head over there and nobody could outdo him in the business. Deepak allegedly books the tickets before-hand knowing the availability and status under manipulative and fake names like, Manish, Rajesh, Sonu and Pappu mentioning any random ages, respectively. This leads to acute ticket shortage, especially for those who cannot afford traveling at double or triple cost prices and need to travel under urgent situations. The influence of these black marketers is such that the ‘tatkal seva’ is barely available to the people who have an emergency or a genuine reason to travel.

The main centers of the black marketers include the tea stalls in Paharganj (Delhi). A person’s ticket status changes from “waiting” to “confirmed” in no time after reaching and getting in touch with the so called tea vendors. Just like the menu for the stalls, these marketers have set prices for all their illegal actions. Sources claim that just the booking of a single ticket touches the range of Rs.500 to Rs.1000. It’s no wonder how these tea stalls have turned into counterfeit ticket counters!

The railway police on the other hand seems oblivious to all these incidents. In fact, several policemen are even involved in this ugly rampant business. Selling the tickets at higher rates and asking for tips starting from Rs.100, help the policemen make a fast buck.

However, blaming the government is no solution to an issue which is of such paramount importance. It is the people who have to take a stand on these black marketers. All that is required to eradicate such a practice is, mass awareness, subsequently followed by a movement which would render these black marketers inoperative in carrying out their misdeeds. A movement that would eliminate such an issue from its very core and save India from its dire consequences is needed and is the need of the hour. In case the police does not co-operate with you, consider calling the Central Vigilance Commission’s department here. You can also file a case with your local court. Yes, it is your initiative that will stop black marketing.

Help us spread the word by sharing this article on Facebook, Twitter, via email and other sources. It is us who can collaborate and end this malpractice.

Image by degahk.

1. biswajit biswas

we draw kind attention of hon’ble Modiji against this malpractice.

By sabaism sable

By Chandrakant Shukla