Career In Film Making In India

By Neha Bhandarkar:

Film making is possibly the broadest and most varied creative opportunity in mass media. A blend of creativity and technicality, Films are an important media, not only for entertainment and information, but also for communication. It is inclusive of feature films, documentaries, Promotional films, TV commercials, music Videos, etc. The technique of filmmaking is a teamwork which needs close and coherent organization of various skilled individuals. It involves acting, directing, producing, script writing, cinematography, sound recording, visual mixing, editing and so on.

A film maker has to concentrate on all these concepts equally. He should be having that creative as well as technical knack for story ideas and unique implementation towards carrying out an appealing effect. His job demands a lot of work that is from ideas, story, script, cast, screenplay, music, direction, budget, sets, location… and the list is endless. He has to start at the very bottom and work his way up. i.e. beginning with raising capital for the film to its distribution, screening as well as all the stages of its crafting.

The field of film making is highly competitive and has a lot of scope for employment opportunities too. Especially, in India which releases a large number of films every year. If one possesses artistic and technical skills and at the same time an ability to express ideas, this is the most appropriate field to work in. Even for acting and directing, which are basically creative fields that require inherent talent; training helps to hone the skills. In areas like cinematography, sound engineering and editing, professional training is essential.

So where should one begin from? How should you be prepared? And, Can anyone be a filmmaker?

Perhaps researching colleges and other post secondary institutions that specialize in filmmaking would be a suitable beginning. Filmmaking is complex, expensive, and also time consuming. It can also be a big business. Potential filmmakers spend many years perfecting their profession while studying all aspects of this very popular art form. There are numerous colleges that offer professional Film making courses on bachelors, PG or as Diploma. Some of them are listed in the end.

And to answer the last two questions, creativity, desire, motivation, focus, sensitivity, self discipline, patience and determination are few of the necessary attributes one must have to become involved in the art of film making. In addition, one must be compulsorily a unique storyteller (you don’t want your viewers to yawn while the movie is going on right?!)

If you are still an amateur and are serious about a career in film making then the best way to work it out will be to start at Home. So, take that handy cam (or even that point shoot camera, with video facility in it) of yours out, and go around looking for issues that really need to be brought out in public! Involve your friends; write a script that is funny, serious, social or anything that is ideating in nature and set forth to make an impressive portfolio for yourself. Who knows you might be the next assistant to RGV or Vishal Bhardawaj for that matter!

Some of the colleges that offer Filmmaking courses are:

1) Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune
PG diploma and PG certificates in various courses.

www.ftiindia.com

2) Whistling Woods International, Mumbai
Course in direction, cinematography, editing, acting and production

www.whistlingwoods.net

3) Delhi Film Institute, Delhi
Diploma in Video production

Website not listed.

4) Zee Institute Of Media Arts (ZIMA), Mumbai

www.zimainstitute.com

5) SRM Sivaji Ganesan Film Institute
Bachelor of Film technology (BFT)

1 year full time Diploma in Film Acting (DFA)

www.srmuniv.ac.in

6) Asian Academy of Film and TV
Post Graduate Diploma in Film and TV production

http://www.aaft.com/

Image courtesy: http://www.gtifilms.com/documentary-film-making-course-make-a-career-in-this-field.html

1. khushboo

there are interesting film making competitions in the country that can also give one platform to experience and learn about film making
    http://blog.ahmedabadfilmproject.com/

2. Buzzingstock

Read the Book “Making A Career In The Film Industry” – by Pooja Gautam
    Publisher: Buzzingstock Publishing House

3. sankalp

can you please explain the difference between FILMMAKING and FILM DIRECTION…

4. Vyom Khanna

Great Article! We could not agree more with this. Although there are numerous schools out there to help give knowledge. Very few avenues are there to search and source jobs after the education is over. Normally the trend is to go to Mumbai and start your “Struggle” and/or find a mentor depending on your luck or contacts. There was no avenue available which caters to this need until now.

MyFilmtree (http://myfilmtree.com), is an exclusive yet free portal for the entertainment industry which lists Film and TV jobs for freshers and professionals on a daily basis. Companies like Disney, Cinevistas, Optymistyx, UTV regularly put out positions open in there various projects on this site.

started only about 6 months ago by an industry insider with an experience of 20 years, it has nearly 15,000 people onboard and the numbers are growing steadily. We would highly recommend those looking for a job in films or television to make this a stopover. It has already helped many people get the right candidates.

Vyom Khanna

5. Prem P Sathish

good article. interested people may follow this group on fb.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/launchpad2filmindustry/

6. Diksha Aggarwal

Becoming a film director is a dream job for many. A film director is the ultimate-artistic multi tasker. If you’re ready and willing to put in the time, have creative vision and an impressive ability to make something out of nothing, then becoming a film director might be the perfect job for you. Film Director accepts broad sets of responsibilities including working with script writer in order to build content, controls the artistic and dramatic effects, guiding technical crew and members. In order to become successful film director, you must have good knowledge of lightning, film, editing and inventive eye.
    Why institute of creative excellence is not mentioned in the list above? They have best placement record in industry so far. Even they give live exposure to their student with experienced faculty and courseware.
    https://www.theiceinstitute.com/

By Internshala

By Poorvi Tiwari

By Ranjit Kumar