Ladli Scheme: How Effective is it?

Posted on March 7, 2011 in Society

By Anonna Dutt:

It is evident that being the National Capital does not help Delhi in any way as far as the sex ratio is concerned. There are well educated and well-to-do people in the National Capital who are still biased in gender issues. Thus the basic right to equality, given by the Indian Constitution, is denied to the women here. When the Census brought this to the notice of the government and the public, they had to do something about it. So, they introduced the Ladli Scheme.

What exactly is the Ladli Scheme? This scheme by the government of India envisages a payment in the name of a girl child annually, which is kept as a fixed deposit which can then be collected with interest when the girl reaches 18 years of age. Without mention, there are always certain conditions applied. In this case, the parents should be Delhi-based or should have been living there for a minimum of 3 years. The child should also be born in Delhi. It is a scheme for girls whose parents earn less than Rs.1,00,000 per annum. The conditions sound easy don’t they? Thousands of people can fulfil it. But let us see, how the Ladli Scheme has helped the National Capital.

It can be seen that the scheme did not help in boosting up the female sex ratio in Delhi and there are various reasons for that. Firstly, getting cash in hand is what the poor want which is not the case with Ladli Scheme, this is why the families are not much revved up about it. Also, the corruption that prevails in India makes it extremely difficult for the poor to get registered.

But the most significant hurdle in the way of the scheme was the lack of information. Many people do not know of the existence of such a scheme even now even though it was launched in 2008 in Delhi. And the people who do know are quite misinformed which is why there are not many people registering under for it.

Also, instead of helping the people who actually need such support, politicians are known to pocket the money spent by the government for such purposes. Thus, what started off as a brilliant scheme towards egalitarian growth of the society in terms of gender issues, ended up being a complete fiasco.

The only thing that can be done to change the present situation is to make people aware of the scheme and encourage people to demand their rightful share. The time taken to complete the official work involved should be reduced so that it is easy for the people to register. This can be done when corruption is kept in check. All this if implemented properly, would help the Ladli Scheme to achieve its objectives of correcting the lopsided sex ratio in India.