Book Review: ‘The Secret’ by Rhonda Byrne – A Book That Can Change Your Life

By Salony Satpathy:

Almost everyone has heard the phrase: “It’s all in the mind,” but how many have ever tried to understand its importance and implication? I was also a part of this crowd until a few days ago, till I was gifted ‘The Secret’ by my father. This book by Rhonda Byrne changed my way of life, renewed me and taught me how to live a peaceful and contented life and be an architect of my own happiness and success. In this book, the author unveils a ‘secret’ which she claims to have been known for centuries. In the words of the author, “It has been passed down through the years, highly coveted, hidden, lost, stolen, and bought for vast sums of money.”

The essence of the book is the power of our minds, which if identified and unleashed properly, can create waves of positive changes in our life. It deals with tuning our thought process which has the capability of making things happen; things that we otherwise would have never have imagined occurring. Everything that happens to us is directly or indirectly the doing of our own thoughts, which if modeled properly, can change everything in our lives. The book deals with the above mentioned theory scientifically, saying that our thoughts are magnetic and a frequency is associated with each one of them and when they are sent out into the universe, they attract like objects which are reflected back to us. In short, our thoughts become things.

This book answers questions like why are we asked to culture good and healthy feelings right from our childhood. As a matter of fact, these are the things that decide the course our lives take. The importance and need of feelings and emotions, the need to sometimes give in to things that our hearts desire for, the need to prematurely ‘feel’ the things we want to happen, the need to take good care of our health, the need to treat ourselves with love and respect, the ways to make our relationships with others work, the need and ways of expressing our gratitude to the Maker as well as everyone and everything that have touched our lives – all these have been discussed intricately in a detailed manner in the book.

The best part is that the theories mentioned in this book are nothing new. It is just an organized representation of what we have already experienced either consciously or subconsciously. Even before reading the book I have made certain things happen by just thinking strongly about them. A class test being cancelled when I strongly wanted it, my mother calling me when I wanted to badly talk to her, my fever vanishing when I convinced myself that I was perfectly fine are a few situations that have actually happened in my life. The Secret’ has been realized by many great men like Plato, Galileo, Beethoven, Edison, Carnegie, Einstein and many other inventors, theologians, scientists and great thinkers and this realization has gone a long way in achieving success and helping them carve a space in people’s minds and hearts, to be remembered and talked about incessantly for generations to come.

A documentary movie has been made on ‘The Secret’ to showcase the importance and methods of implementation of this concept, but I feel there is a great difference between reading and viewing something. The impact created when we read something attentively is far more than any form of visual representation of the same. But owing to the shift of allegiance from printed text to videos in the current age, the movie is expected to reach a greater chunk of the human population. But I am sure that there is still a crowd that will support me in advocating for the book.

Rhonda Byrne has used statements and theories by many eminent personalities to illustrate and fortify the concept of ‘The Secret’, who are the co-authors of the book. They include Bob Procter, philosopher, coach and personal coach, Dr. Joe Vitale, metaphysician, marketing specialist and author, John Assaraf, entrepreneur and money making expert, Dr. John Demartini, philosopher, chiropractor, healer and personal transformation specialist, Dr. Denis Waitley, psychologist and trainer in the field of mind potential, Michael Bernard Beckwith, visionary and founder of Agape International Spiritual Center, and last but not the least, Jack Canfield, author, teacher, life coach and motivational speaker.

The book teaches various techniques and shortcuts to understand and implement this concept in our lives. Throughout the period when I was reading the book, I was unconsciously nodding my head in approval of the theories discussed, realizing how true and appropriate each one of them is. All in all, it is a must read in order to discover oneself, understand one’s true needs and desires, improve one’s life in every possible aspect and make the most of the power which resides within oneself.

1. ARCHANA

while applying secret do we have to do any hard work/action or just think about the the object i want
    for eg
    i want to pass my group 2 in first attempt but my one paper went really bad i wrote only 15 marks but i want 40 marks to pass that so can i now pass by only thinking about passing in first attempt
    pls reply

1. niharika

yes u can achieve anything applying secret , but u have to belive wat r u asking for
      , do nt mix ur doubts in it otherwise u r making ur thought weak . so believe on it nd it wud b done definitaly

2. Arshad

Yes, this book is really amazing. It charges you up with lot of positive energy. Let’s use “the secret” for all our positive desires and wished

3. Harvinder kaur

U KNOW WAT THERE IS ONE OLD SAYING WHERE THERE IS WILL THERE IS WAY. U JUST HAVE TO THINK THAT U’LL GET THESE MARKS AS UR LIFE IS DEPEND ON IT. JUST BELIVE ON WATEVER U ASK, BELIVE IT IT THAT YES I M GOING TO GET THESE MARKS & U’LL GET IT. OFCOURSE U’LL HAVE TO TAKE ACTION IN ORDER TO COMPLETE UR TASK BUT WITH POSITIVITY & BELIVE . TRY IT WITH FULL HEART. GOD BLESS U.

4. shakti

hi – 8946984007

2. Venkat

If you have written the exam then how can that happen. The postive thought before six months of the exam and coupled with studying will help you. In your situation u need a miracle and not positive thinking. In your case Sai Baba would have been helpful……..

3. rakesh bhatt

how i will change my thoughts ,im depressed mere mind main bhaut sare negative thought aate h ncnt take dicision .

1. niharika

u r doing focus on -ve thougts nd trying to stop it so if u resist it wud b persist so do nt try to stop -ve thougths but try to change dese thoughts in to +ve thoughts

4. Nagma

I Like this book very much and i need more and topics about the attitutude of life.

5. ravi

i want be a rich and popular person.

6. vrushali

this book is very good.from that book I always get positive energy.this positive energy is very important to fight any difficult condition.

“THANK YOU”

7. Parul Khurana

Awesome book . . . i lyk ds book very much Thnk you . .

8. Upendra Singh

Its one of the Best Book i have ever read. Its not only a Book but its the real Truth of the Universe and how the Universe Work.

9. aravind

guys there is a book called ” the laws of spirit world ” i would strongly recommend u all to read this one. i am damn sure u will feel a positive energy around u. for that u gotta follow some simple methods.

10. subhash kumar

i purchased this book “The Secret”, just yesterday, seriously telling you, i reached the half way, and it created a word called ‘hunger’ inside me, the hunger to become a successful. It’s true that the person who has self believes is always take risks…and becomes what he or she wants.

11. kavita vishwakarma

I had given my gold chain to my best friend and she told me that she’ll return the chain by the day after i had given but she yet not given the chain to me and her cell phone is also switched off then what should i do please tell me. how should i get my chain with her?

1. prohantie

am sure your friend will return your chain just give it some time and with her phone these probaly something with it!!she is your best friend that clearly means you know her very well!!!

2. shiwani agarwal

always think that ur chain is with you and u r wearing it gladly
      also think that ur friend is apologising on not returning it ……………………..9045903430

3. SR infotech

do complaint in police station

12. Diksha Rai

it is the truth of our life.

13. sakthy

This is a wonderful book. But this book is very much in line with what Buddha said some two thousand five hundred years before. I am a follower of nichiren daishonin’s buddhism and practice of this buddhism helped me to understand this book more effectively and implement the principles explained in this book.

14. Nirav Kaushik

Yes this is the book which can change your life at 360 degree….

15. sachin

it is one of the best book of my life

16. sachin

it is one of the best book of my life which help me to change my life

1. aanchal

hello sachin…how is it work and how much time it will take or how much time should think about one wish????there is any formula??????

17. omang agarwal

this book has actual truth of true life….lovd it

18. ANOOP KUMAR PURUSH

i am a success leader in HERBO INTERNATIONAL PVT.LTD.
    THE SECRET book is realy great…it’s too much…

19. deepali

jo hamare dimag main hai bas wahi reality hai,this is true.

20. Books Review Panel

Good review. I wrote an extended review about the 
    controversy, pros and cons of the secret book… 

21. EKTA SINGH

thank you

22. Bhavana Konda

This book when i first inspired so much. I want it with me all the time to give strength and fill me with positive thought. I’m just a student and can’t afford 600 bucks. Thanks to “Mydeals” I have it now. I posting it so as everyone could benefited as i have.
    http://www.mydeals247.com/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWBPLzojmT4 

23. RAGHU. YASARAPU

i am thank-full to book author Rhonda Byrne

24. Vishal Pawar

I like that book so much because of that i am started to take my life positively by any way & because of this book you will definately get idea about how to take each & every thing in a positive. It gives you strengh to fight with negetive chapter in your life. This is the one of the best book i have ever seen.

25. rupali agarwal

want to read your book but they r jst abt ur buk…

26. shubham mulatkar

nice booook i like every sentence in these boook.

27. Prerak Dragr

The Book Is Too Good.It Is One Of The Best Book Of My Life Which Help Me To Change My Life.I Just Loved This Book. 😀

28. sanjay salve

it is indeed excellent book. i could relate things in my past which really got attracted with the same theory explained in this book. it gives you positive approach towards life. thanks to the author!

29. matilda

i want so much to read it…

30. Girley Mkhwanazi

It makes me feel alive,like i was born again in another plannet

31. sandeepmaharia

im an iitk student,can u plz tell me in brief usefullness of dis book ….8953454035

32. madhuri tibra

i m from bkbit pilani, how can i purchase dis book…u acn contact me on 9928218100

33. Randyhook

I want this book for free if anyone can help me plz contact me at hookrandy9@gmail.com

1. Gaurav

Go to playstore type ” the secret book”
      U wil get it or at best purchase it..
      Its wrth every penny my frend

34. Rajeshree

m preparing for CAT entrance exams i find maths (quant) vry tuff …after reading ths book m trying to change my thoughts about maths….plz suggest me sumthng more how i cn overcome ths …i wana score 100 percentile thts my aim plz guide me over it

1. Ravindra

Dear rajshree first of all dont feel panic about maths.take it easy.no matter how big it is.You are mighter than all problem.And visualize that you are getting highest mark on maths & repaet the mantra” Maths is easy” than take neccessary action. & keep an image of doing good in maths & feel energetic about it in your imagination.

35. neha

it’s a very good story
    i theraly enjoyed it
    it’s a awsome book

36. POORTI

very interesting enjoying and must read book.it changed my thoughts 4 looking d world in a different manner.d movie of d secret is also quiet interesting n i think dat every 1 shud c it.Rhonda Byrne d great riter also thought to rite such a beautiful book n share d secret with every 1 around d world is also a great thing.MerI taraf se Rhonda Byrne aapko mera saalam. I think whoever vil c dis comment shud go n read d book.last bt not d least ………….its a awesome book !!!!

37. DRISHYA APPACHU

the book has changed my life… they way of thinking!!!!….the statement wch hs been approves … THOUGHTS MAKES THINGS … is really true n it is happng in my own life….it hs not oly changeg ma way of thinkng but aslo ma entire families thoughts….! all i ve 2 tell is thnaks 2 RHONDA BRYNE … 4 ths wndrfl book !!!!!!

38. DRISHYA APPACHU

TYTthE booK hS ChAnGed My liFe….. aFtR reAdNG THE bOOk ….i Ve cHaNgEd Ma ThOuGHT pRoCeSS …. !!.iTs NoT olY liMiTd 2 Ma ThOghT pRoCEss bUt AlSo Ma EnTiRE FaMiLiES…. All I Ve 2 tEll Is ThNkS 2 RHONDA BRYNE!!!!!!!

39. Devendra Singh

u can find this book in any book-store or in any pustak mela…..:-)

40. SOLANKI rahul

This book is very helpful to me and all world lady. This book is my topic for book review. thankss

41. Arjun sojitra

By Salony Satpathy:

Almost everyone has heard the phrase: “It’s all in the mind,” but how many have ever tried to understand its importance and implication? I was also a part of this crowd until a few days ago, till I was gifted ‘The Secret’ by my father. This book by Rhonda Byrne changed my way of life, renewed me and taught me how to live a peaceful and contented life and be an architect of my own happiness and success. In this book, the author unveils a ‘secret’ which she claims to have been known for centuries. In the words of the author, “It has been passed down through the years, highly coveted, hidden, lost, stolen, and bought for vast sums of money.” The essence of the book is the power of our minds, which if identified and unleashed properly, can create waves of positive changes in our life. It deals with tuning our thought process which has the capability of making things happen; things that we otherwise would have never have imagined occurring. Everything that happens to us is directly or indirectly the doing of our own thoughts, which if modeled properly, can change everything in our lives. The book deals with the above mentioned theory scientifically, saying that our thoughts are magnetic and a frequency is associated with each one of them and when they are sent out into the universe, they attract like objects which are reflected back to us. In short, our thoughts become things.

why are we asked to culture good and healthy feelings right from our childhood. As a matter of fact, these are the things that decide the course our lives take. The importance and need of feelings and emotions, the need to sometimes give in to things that our hearts desire for, the need to prematurely ‘feel’ the things we want to happen, the need to take good care of our health, the need to treat ourselves with love and respect, the ways to make our relationships with others work, the need and ways of expressing our gratitude to the Maker as well as everyone and everything that have touched our lives-all these have been discussed intricately in a detailed manner in the book.

The best part is that the theories mentioned in this book are nothing new. It is just an organized representation of what we have already experienced either consciously or subconsciously. Even before reading the book I have made certain things happen by just thinking strongly about them. A class test being cancelled when I strongly wanted it, my mother calling me when I wanted to badly talk to her, my fever vanishing when I convinced myself that I was perfectly fine are a few situations that have actually happened in my life. ‘The Secret’ has been realized by many great men like Plato, Galileo, Beethoven, Edison, Carnegie, Einstein and many other inventors, theologians, scientists and great thinkers and this realization has gone a long way in achieving success and helping them carve a space in people’s minds and hearts, to be remembered and talked about incessantly for generations to come.

42. Ankit

The secret is very encouraging noval. It help to creat a positive energy in our mind. After read this noval i feel little changed and now i think positive, now i faced aal the problems with my positive thoughts that i do it.
    And now its the SECRET of my life.

43. sabana

i like you. the secret of book my life.this like mr.shabaj

1. shahbaj

i like my book my fantasty

44. sabana

i like you shahbaj . the lover sabana

45. shahbaj

sabana i like me.

46. Snehal Chandran

i have read the secret and i feel its a good book for the many people. But i have also come to the realisation how such books makes we human being want more in life, be it name, fame or money or relations or whatever. The other thing is poeple get so engrossed in their so called wants and ambitions that they dont appreciate what they have now.
    Books like the secret and such other mind power books have that effect. They cant let people be happy. Or even the happiness that they feel that they have is short-lived or a fake happiness, build on someone else’s saying that when you achieve something that you want you get happy. That happiness is based on a success of achieving something
    What happened to being happy just the way you are? Find happiness in what you are and what you have become. Thats my theory of leading a good life and for such a thinking person, The secret is a waste. Thing beyond the materialistic world and you’ll be a happy person. That is ‘The Biggest Secret’ of life, which again everyone might be knowing but just gets subdued over the burden of books like The Secret.

47. Sweekriti Tiwari

Want to ask something…. i visualised everyday of scoring 98% after giving the class 12 board exams .Followed everything that was written about visualising but did not score 98%. Why didn’t the secret work now

1. Rocky the crazy Indian

It is a science not magic..if you visualise to have wings everyday doesn’t mean you will become a bird in near future, that would be hilarious..isn’t it? If you study well and confident about your exam you will definitely score 98% for which you need concentration… which will certainly come through visualisation of you future goals….goal you really and always want to achieve. Now sometime even after doing rigorous hard work you don’t get what you expect and say you had a bad luck..This law of attraction will help you to get the results you expected after doing such hard work…it will eradicate what you call bad luck. You will understand the logic someday, it takes time to actually understand the law.

48. Nirmal 7

Concept of this book is literally idiotic, actualy i love novels and reading somthing out of the world so my opinion is that this book is unworthy and making profit for authors only even if you go for law of distraction you will find more resemblance as like when you remove want for somthing from your depth of heart that thing will walk around you. There is a lot of other concept like subconscious mind role and all which is not familiar with people a lot.. same as like astrology and things this concept work like it doesnt give you anything except hope if out of 100 you get atleast 1 or 2 positive result by default you will be loyal to it forever. Seriously hard work and focus and proper planning along with your knowledge will lead you to what you want not things like this . Super funny concept ?

By Babumoshai India

By SAGE Publications India

By Apurva Chavhan