Can Marks Decide A Student’s Future?

Posted on June 15, 2011 in Education

By Ravi Yadav:

Education system has become a real mockery in India. The current literacy rate of 74.04% over 2010 is much ballyhoo that the Indian education system screams at the face of the 12% at the end of the ‘british raj’. The point that I am trying to make here is, what about the left over 26% of the population that is still illiterate? What about the disgraceful position of India in world’s literacy rates? YES, we have evolved by bridging the gap figure of 62% over past but the irony of the fact is we are too obsessed with the word ‘EVOLUTION’ to realize that we are the country with the largest illiterate population. The system isn’t accountable for it but of course the administration, practices and the corruption that brackets it is liable for the same. Right from the inception of the idea of these programs to the monitoring, implementation and execution, ever step possess flaws that are traceable but cannot be eliminated because we are shamelessly proud to be ‘corrupt’.

A very common example is the admission process that is followed by the management colleges. The field which in itself teaches about the intangible aspects and nature of the business and economics relies on the tangible format of high scorers getting into the premium college brands without proving any scope for the capabilities, skills and potentialities that one possess. If you are not among the top scorers you don’t even get a chance to prove you are worth it just because of the rigid structure in practice.

The quotas that are associated with the so-called ‘weaker section of the society’ based on caste (which is hardly any weaker but the moment it comes to education they are perceived as the doomed ones) and not on economic background, the donations to get into colleges, the passing grades and percentage, lack of creative knowledge, the stereotyped programs, the lack of innovation in education, but most importantly ‘the perceived notion of the capabilities of an individual who don’t make it to top grades’, are the biggest flaws that are located with the system.

The ‘management’ colleges of India, when asked why is it that there is no common scale of employment for the students graduating from here even after a regressive investment of time, energy and other resources in locating the potential candidates who soon will draft the fate of the upcoming ‘EVOLUTION’ of the country, answered that it’s the student’s potential that makes him or breaks him and not the college, they at the best can guide and stimulate them to the path of accomplishment.

It is not much surprising that the answer has been the same for all the other institutions which are not so well reputed, whether associated with management or any other field of study. So the question is, why not give a chance to those who may not have made it to the kind of grades that they are looking at but surely posses the potentials for the same? Why not establish a system which screens them for their potentials and the skill set required for their field of study rather than relying on the conventional grade system? If only those who score 85% and above are the intellectual lot then why not make that as the passing grade so that if the student doesn’t score this minimum he/she is liable to reappear? The underlined fact is this will bring down the literacy rates back to square one and the government will start shaking in its boots.

Whether it’s a blue collar job or a white collar job, the execution is practiced at the operating level, which is the lot of below the standard grade; so does this imply that they don’t posses any creativity and innovation when matched against those at top management?

The scene of the Indian education is going from bad to worst. “Every child is different from the other and has some capabilities at edge over another”, this is just for preaching not for practicing. The need of the hour is to have a system which sets the standards of education for the youth, more on their potential rather than continue on the archaic structure in exercise. The colleges should foresee the capabilities of an individual rather than focusing on the grades and percentage. Competitiveness should be encouraged on a fair level. The government should investigate deeply into the matters pertaining to bribes for admission and illicit increment of grades. They have to be pro-active rather than reactive if they really want to give India and its citizens a better tomorrow.

What are your views? Drop a comment below.