Elderly Abuse In India: A Growing Act Of Shame

[aside]Aging is a natural phenomenon & old encounter many challenges and disabilities, which are natural to that age. Sad but as of today parents are no more synonymous to love. They seem to be more of a liability who nobody wants to carry. So they generally end up being either dumped in one of the old age homes or can be found begging on streets. It is extremely gruesome how younger generation can easily abandon their parents who always supported them when in need.[/aside]

By Dishi Solanki:

Old age is an abiding maze
At times genial and mostly a traumatic phase
More is the grumbling in different ways
With a short life and extremely long days.

I was casually reading the newspaper when a piece of news strained the stability of my mind leaving me shocked for a while. The bold lines stated “A son kidnapped his own mother and ruthlessly beat her so as to forcefully agree his father to hand over the property to him”. I was in a state of mind where I was absolutely clueless about my reaction on the situation. Sundry feelings like pity, sorrow, and fury had conquered my mind all at the same time. How on the earth could someone treat his own pioneers in such a cold blooded manner? If I would have been there, I would have bashed that very guy hard enough to make him look like a monkey sitting on a hot fuming plate of iron.

Mrs. Kiran Sharma of Delhi, seen here, was forcefully thrown out of her house by her son and daughter-in-law, after they mislead her into naming all her property to them.

Aging is a natural phenomenon & old encounter many challenges and disabilities, which are natural to that age. Sad but as of today parents are no more synonymous to love. They seem to be more of a liability who nobody wants to carry. So they generally end up being either dumped in one of the old age homes or can be found begging on streets. It is extremely gruesome how younger generation can easily abandon their parents who always supported them when in need. Parents grow us up with a selfless attitude and leap against all odds to make us a civilized citizen. But when the tables turn those same kids seem to gallop from their duties. Because of western influence, migration to cities, employment avenues in abroad, self-centered interest of children and dilution of traditional and cultural values — the sensitive family bond has broken.

Everybody loves money as power rests in it. And so to acquire it children abuse their parents because they think that by harassing and depriving them of their basic needs they can force their parents to relinquish all property rights in their favor. Moreover caring for one’s ailing parents seems to be a horrendous task and so they are forced to spend their twilight years all alone without any physical or financial support.

According to Help Age India 47.3 per cent cases of Elder Abuse are reported to have children as perpetrators. To ensure an old age security the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act was passed. The Bill proposed to provide for:

• Appropriate mechanism to be set up to provide need-based maintenance to the parents and senior citizens.
  • Providing better medical facilities to senior citizens.
  • For institutionalization of a suitable mechanism for protection of life and property of older persons.
  • Setting up of old age homes in every district.

For all those who have neglected their old parents should go ahead and look into their arid eyes silently wishing for death to release their souls. Maybe then the population in old age homes would start reversing.

By libbymaynard

By Nehal

By Alexander Zingman