How To Make A Career In Adventure Sports

By Jayshrita Bhagabati:

Do you love living life on the edge? Is your idea of a perfect day one where you have a rendezvous with nature? Do you consider your life one big adventure and are eager to make it even more so? Then look no further, for a career in adventure sports might be just what you are looking for! While the perk of this kind of careers is the obvious fact that you get to spend most of your time outdoors, it also provides you with a unique opportunity to transform your hobby into a rewarding profession.

Adventure tourism is a booming sector. The involvement of the media (television channels such as National Geographic, Discovery, AXN, Animal Planet etc.) has given additional incentives to people to plan an adventure holiday rather than a routine vacation. The increasing influx of tourists also means that the availability of jobs and the demand for trained professionals far exceeds their availability, a trend likely to increase in the future, resulting in huge prospects for trained professionals.

Eligibility: Basic education is sufficient to initiate a career in adventure sports, with no subject restrictions as of class XII. Nevertheless, candidates having a bachelor’s degree in any discipline are given a preference. The candidate must belong to the age group of 16-40 years. The most important criterion, however, is the physical fitness of the applicant. For water-based activities it is mandatory to be proficient in swimming. In addition, proficiency in at least one foreign language is necessary as the candidate might have to deal with tourists from across the world and is a definite help in bagging jobs in travel and tourism agencies.

Personality traits: Equally important is for the candidate to have the right attitude for these kinds of careers, in addition to interest and aptitude. Since adventure sports include unusual, risky and exciting activities, the candidate must possess a high degree of risk taking ability, ability to work in different terrains, team spirit and leadership qualities, high levels of commitment and responsibility, environmental awareness and a love for conservation, awareness of first aid, camp management, map, compass reading and survival training and a hospitable and sociable nature in order to deal with the multiplicity of cultures and traditions he/she will inevitably encounter.

The candidate must also be well informed and aware and must possess a genuine love for the job, with a willingness to spend any amount of time outdoors and an indomitable spirit of adventure. Sporting talent is essential and immense mental toughness is a must.

Prospects: Opportunities for adventure sports professionals exist in excursion agencies, holiday resorts, leisure camps, commercial recreation centres, sports centres and athletic clubs. Those with enough experience in this field can also set up their own adventure sports centre where they can offer services and impart training in their area of specialization. Trained professionals can also work as liaison officers in various travel and tourism agencies or they can work in training organizations specializing in outdoor training. Related jobs are those of an instructor of the discipline and of an adventure sports photographer.

Places to study: Several institutes offer courses in adventure sports, both for beginners as well as experienced sports people. Most Adventure Sports institutes include technical skills modules in a large variety of sports. These include rock climbing, rappelling, river crossing, trekking, mountaineering, caving, camping, map reading, skiing, swimming, water safety and rescue, canoeing, kayaking, rowing, sailing, water surfing, skiing and white-water rafting.

Most of the popular sports are water based and tend to take place in coastal areas, or in some cases, in large lakes. Ocean sports often take place in tropical climates. And Skiing and snowboarding, needless to say, take place in cold areas with lots of mountains and during the winter. Another related course is that of an instructor, which results in an internationally recognized instructor certificate, which enables the person to get paid work as a sports instructor in any place around the world.

The course duration varies from a few days to a few months. Some notable institutes are Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Darjeeling, Nehru Institute of Mountaineering, Uttarkashi, Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering, Batote, J&K, Directorate of Mountaineering and Allied Sports, Manali, Regional Mountaineering Centre, McLeodganj, Winter Sports Skiing Centre, Kulu, High Altitude Trekking & Skiing Centre, Narkanda, Mountaineering Sub-Centres, Bharmour and Jispa, Water Sports Centre, Bilaspur, Regional Water Sports Centre, Pong Dam, Adventure Sports Centre, Hatkoti, Balloon Club of India, Bahadurshah Zafar Marg, New Delhi, Tenzing Norgay Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Jawahar Parbat, Darjeeling and The National Institute of Water Sports in Panjim, Goa.

So what are you waiting for? If you are now convinced that adventure sports are your calling then pack your backpack, put on your sneakers and with your vision fixed on that bright, distant horizon take a stride towards a new future and make the world your own.

Img: http://www.nisprofessionals.com/adventure-activities/adventure-sport/

1. Ravikiran Kawade

i am very passionate about adventures and roaming places and put my life on the edge.
    so was thinking if it had a career in itself will be twice as nice
    so please let me know if theres a career opportunity in it.
    waiting for a reply o my mail

2. Bmradul

please give me different types of career oportunty in adventures sports in india 

1. vikash yadav

I don't no

2. vikash yadav

I want to join adventurers in India

3. paramdeep

i m b.com student after and i wana a roaming in whole india or out so i wana a job in adventure companies and any motors which can take adventure trips for advertisement so plz contact me on 09753371313

4. swati nigam

i want to join the adventurous activities camp in india itself n futher make a career in this..plz reply abt my query on my id… swatinigam58@gmail.com

5. Sandip Ghosh

can any body tell me what are career opportunity in adventure, traveling, mountaineering in India. you can mail me at sandy.rockzzz007@gmail.com
    my FB https://www.facebook.com/sandycooldude006?ref=tn_tnmn

6. rajesh sharma

i want to join the adventure courses, plz suggest me which institute is better.

1. Garima

Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Darjeeling.
      Nehru Institute of Mountaineering, Uttarkashi.
      Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering, Batote, J&K.
      Directorate of Mountaineering and Allied Sports, Manali. (himachal.nic.in/dmas)
      Regional Mountaineering Centre, McLeodganj.
      Winter Sports Skiing Centre, Kulu.
      High Altitude Trekking & Skiing Centre, Narkanda.
      Water Sports Centre, Bilaspur.
      Regional Water Sports Centre, Pong Dam
      Balloon Club of India, Bahadurshah Zafar Marg, New Delhi
      Tenzing Norgay Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Jawahar Parbat, Darjeeling
      The National Institute of Water Sports in Panjim, Goa

2. lokesh

thnx garima….

7. ankit

my name is ankit ,im from mussorie uk,i lov to tracking ,hicking,moun climbing swiming,evn m good enough in these activities ,due to not geting good company m quite alone,i want to make career in this field ,plz some 1 who is realy intrested plz call me and make a good trip with me atlest 18000 ft ,may be i and you get a good company for further planing. 8006552628 m 21 old ,nd i hv summited many lower himalays peaks . plz help me

1. ankit

guyz u hav heard abt the mt sivling ,m planing for that ,if any 1 with this quility plz contact me, i want to make a group of good ppl,8006552628

2. DEEPTI PANT BHARDWAJ

i guess it’s quite late reply to your note here. but i’m as well going through such issues relating to good trekking-partner for further take career into adventure sports. if interested you may mail me at deeptipantbhardwaj@gmail.com/ make it as soon as possible . as i’m planning to put up form for admission to basic mountaineering course (nim-uttarkashi). we can do it together . i’m a sportsperson and done with treks to shikhar(kumaun), pindari glacier(kumaun), pangu top. get in touch soon. deepti pant

8. siddharth sundriyal

recently visited kinnour in himachal pradesh. roaming there is itself mini trecking. Life there is adventure in itself. Intended to visit further higher ,may be mount kinner kailash, next june-july.

9. shubham neema

i want to make career in this and love this para thanks youth ki aawaj
    z

10. Gourav Gupta

Hello everyone , i m 24year old frm jammu and kashmir and also love adventures life and hope to make it my career . I had made many trips with my friends in pirpanjal ranges (nandan sar area) and many more so if anyone seriously wanna make his/her career in this field can contact me at (gouravd0001@gmail.com) and we can discuss further that how can we make our way…

1. anchit sharma

I m frm jammu and kashmir. I hv just passed my 12 and I m passion-ate about adventure.So u please guide me that, how I can make adventure as my profession………..

11. shikha

i want to join the adventurous activities camp in india itself n futher make a career in this..please reply :-email -anu.shikha69@gmail.com

12. krishna

I want to join adventure activities ,I am to much intrusted in adventure sport , I am b.com ,i want to know that how i can join it or carrear in adventure sport if someone can help me so plz u can repl in my email acc ……..neerajsanwal90@gmail.com thanks…….

13. Sid

Guy’s I need to talk
    Plzz guide me
    Thanx

14. Upma Singh

i hace completed my 12 and left my engineering college as i realised that living around nature and mountains is my life
    and i want to persue my career in adventure sports but not exactl kniw where to start from, please help me out to get right
    directions and live my dream, waiting for your reply,
    Thankyou,

15. Upma Singh

i have completed my 12 and left my engineering college as i realised that living around nature and mountains is my life
    and i want to persue my career in adventure sports but not exactly know where to start from, please help me out to get right
    directions and live my dream, waiting for your reply at my mail- supma96@gmail.com
    Thankyou,

16. chaitanya rko

Hi….i want to live a adventurous life….so please help me how to geT my dream ,to be real……mail me:- rkochaitanya@gmail.com

17. Alex T-ron

I want to make a career in Trekking could you please provide how to proceed to make career in these field and I’m north east india.

18. Agam Singh Bhatia

Hey I want to risk my life .I want to be adventurous.Sorry to say but I have no money for it Can you support me and make me adventurous.. give me reply at my mail- agamsingh2791@gmail.com

19. sawan guru

Hey i want to job in adventure sports i have 3 years experience in zip-line with flying fox zip adventure tour Pvt Ltd plz help me and reply me at sawanswami020@gmail.com

20. FAIZAN IQBAL

I want to make my career in trekking could u plz provide me details that how to proceed in this field email Kingfaizi08@gmail.com

By Namrata Vijay

By Sneha Banerjee

By Mrigakshi Talukdar