A Wild Thing: A Poem About Attacks On Women

By Reeti Singh:

Its been more than twenty days now,
I know am fine and safe now-
And yet, I feel
Chained and trapped and raging within
Just as does a wild thing!

Days pass just as they ever did,
Nights no more at peace.
Morns seem all bright and fine,
But evenings have me waiting.
Waiting and watching and feeling within-
Just as does wild thing!

I sit and wonder now,
Where I blundered and how?
Seek the answers in the white coats-
Or storm and hit and destroy within?
Just as does a wild thing!

You, my dear sirs!
The scavengers of my world-
You fed and drank and stole from it!
Just as does a wild thing!

I sit here now,
Numb and dazed within…
And yet I cannot rein the self!
The self now laughs and cries and howls and weeps within-
Just as does a wild thing!

I wish to move away from it,
I wish to move away from you, my dear sirs…
What you seek to take away from me
Is mine, and mine fair.
I resist when you try to steal from me
What is only but my own!
And yet you slap and whip and burn me up-
Thinking you can make me accept
That that is how you tame a wild thing?

No, my dear sirs!
You cannot tame me.
For I refuse to take you as my masters.
I refuse to kneel and submit,
I refuse to yield.
I will not keep quiet about this.
I will not let you escape under covers again.
You have wronged and dashed many a time enough-
Just as does a wild thing!

You shall be caught this once,
You will be tamed.
For my silence shall not protect you.
My tears will not wipe away your marks-
Your deeds shall be noted.
I shall sit bare and numb and for everyone to see-
Just as does a wild thing!

Not once, not twice!
Not four times may be enough, I know!
But you know not
What strength and anger and revolt lies within me,
This unfound, but found now.
No shame no dignity no despair lies within-
As I bare and bare again…
Not once, not twice, not four times is enough-
To make note of your deeds.
I seek to tear and rip and make you wreath-
Just as does a wild thing!

Tears drop, in an unstoppable stream,
Every night drowns in them…
My rage knows no bounds in the morns-
But the day bring silence and stillness within…
The day has passed-
The evening is here.
But where are you,my dear sirs?
Steal, steal and steal from me!
Beat me, wriggle me, make much of me!
Make your smoke- fires of me,
Burn me!
Dissolve me in your drinks,
Drain me now!
Steal from me, steal of me-
Snatch from me, snatch of me-
Tear my clothes and leave me bare-
While I scream and shriek and destroy within,
Just as does a wild thing…!

Img.

1. anish

brilliant stuff girl ,hw u do it.. the poem makes a statement,very strong n sensitive.

2. sukrati rastogi

i could really feel the pain of the victims, who suffer more than the accused.

3. agrima agarwal

the victim’s state sent a shiver down my back. b’fuly written. the aggression and the senstivity are very well paletted out in this piece. it moved me very deeply.

4. prateeksha

great!!!!!!

5. aditi

got goosebumps after reading this. it is a strong concoction. not everybody can handle such writing. both from the receiving and delivering end.completely awestruck!

6. Adeena Jamal

Very well written ! Bravo!

7. Alam Bains

Excellent!!It is so beautifully written.Keep up the great work.

8. vagish

nerve-wrecking lines. it leaves the reader almost scared of the woman’s fury. never come across a poem on such topic where the woman is not potrayed as only the lamenting victim in a dark room. the mere fact that you allowed your protagonist to venture such thoughts all add upto this path-breaking piece of writing. i read your poem “NUMB” as well.
    you have a phenomenal style of writing, path-breaking work.keep it up!

9. vagish

spine-chilling!

10. Adeeba khan

you’ve painted it b’fully!

11. nigar

your poem has really brought out the monotony a person goes through when she faces such kind of evils. a very encouraging step against sexual harassment.

12. harsh

the poem has a very strong sense of movement within it. its a difficult task to bring out this realm in writing. before this piece, i would never have believed that a realm could be penned down. you have a rare talent, a great quality that shines through, Reeti. keep it up !

13. Sudhanshu Rai

touchin… :'(

14. abhai narain

great work on capturing some very strong emotions,keep it up

15. animesh

i read the poem, then i read the info. then i re-read the poem, and i re-read the info. i read the poem again and all i could think was, you’re a freak of a genius! whoever you are, young lady, i must tell you your style of writing is a great find. STUPENDOUS!
    itna fearless ho ke how can, forget any woman, how can anyone write? i guess will read, and re-read again. looking forward to reading more of your work.

16. hitesh

gud job reeti… loved it… strong feelings… i hope people read this n learn

17. payal grover

really awesomeeeee. itS jus forces u to think that is ur lyf actually worth living being a women n accepting all this. here”s an answer to it……….NO…………….SUPERB WORK …..WELL DONE!

1. reeti singh

thank you, payal! the fact that it could generate such a reaction from a reader fills me with a great sense of gratitude. glad there are people out there who appreciate and react to this issue.

18. aditi chowdhary

strong piece.

19. rishabh

god bless the abusers if the wild thing gets its claws onto them.

20. tobias

there is so much power in your writing!!!!!
    i felt as if someone had caught hold of me and rattled me!

21. aditya

i loved it, simply becos the woman in it it does not shed tears anymore.
    “No, my dear sirs!
    You cannot tame me.
    For I refuse to take you as my masters.
    I refuse to kneel and submit,
    I refuse to yield.
    I will not keep quiet about this.
    Just as does a wild thing!”

ma’am, i must tell u, this is revolutionary.u sound like a trend-setter, a leader.

22. Vinay Singhal

so deep and yet so straight !! I am kinda starting to like your style of writing !! 🙂

23. shruti

strong piece, brilliant writing. message gets through and beyond. intelligent pattern.

By Love Matters India

By Bidisha Bhatacharya

By Nandini Sharma