Average Student in a Competitive World

Posted on August 7, 2011 in Education

By Anirudh Rao:

We are in the decade of great transition in India’s history. The rate of urbanization is at its peak. The extreme and ever-growing population of our country has also increased the competition for survival in the urban world to never-before levels. I pity the young kids of today, who have to grow up in a world where anything natural is a rarity.

According to a report in an Indian newspaper, although, India constitutes only 1% of world traffic but not surprisingly India volunteers to take the top spot ,with 15% of the road accidents worldwide taking place in India. It was concluded that Indians, foolishly, drive selfishly disregarding the traffic regulations and the lives of their fellow countrymen. We can blame the system for everything. However, we must try our best to curb our competitive instincts in some situations.

It all starts at school. Firstly, I find it wrong that kids under 4 should be made to attend school or nursery or pre-nursery whatsoever. The competition for admission in some pre-nursery schools is both hilarious and fascinating. How in the world is it going to be of any use to the cute little kid! (Especially when he/she has a mother at home), isn’t it against child rights etc? I may be exaggerating but parents should show more wisdom and broaden their outlook. Mothers of kids, who are in grade-1, please calm down. Just because today your kid isn’t as good as you in math doesn’t mean he won’t do well in the time to come. Subjects like reasoning, values and life skills are evergreen even from an educational point of view. They have the power to decide a country’s future.

Farmers used to be the most hardworking people. It’s the little children with huge school bags who seem to be on top of that list these days. Most parents never complain. In the end if their child becomes a warrior capable of facing the beast of competitive modern world, then the process hardly matters to them. Old habits die hard. If it helps their child to score even one mark more, the parents urge their child to study through the night. They don’t mind paying hefty sums to substandard tuition centers who encourage innovative methods of rote-learning. At the end of the day, it is a competition they say.

The children never have any choice. The parents make their major decisions like choosing career options which may be good at times. I am not sure about how many parents know about the educational strengths and weakness of their teenager, and most importantly their interests are usually ignored. Engineering seems to be the word which replaces school most easily. The pressure of cracking an extremely tough entrance like IIT JEE can be dangerous to a young adolescent. Very few can take that pressure positively to emerge successful. Not many know that the 4 years of engineering education can be a total life of bitterness and hatred towards the very subject they ought to enjoy studying, if they find it uninteresting, which is often the case. The bright yet uninterested students just wait for graduation by using their laptops and mobiles for watching movies, listening to latest hit songs, updating their knowledge on Hollywood, and indulging in many other forms of entertainment. I hope people open their eyes to see the obvious truth. There is education beyond engineering. The competition has only been increased by the extremely unpopular reservation system in education which is one of the worst effects of Politics in today’s India.

The positive result from all this competition is that the kids of today are definitely more talented than even a few years ago. Indian parents love their kids a lot. At times this love clouds their reasoning. With a bit more awareness and improvements in the educational system, I am sure India can use its population and competitive spirit to advance globally.