When Silence Screams! A #Poem On Sexual Abuse

By Reeti Singh:

Crimson, blood-filled tears,
A gibbeted memory you left for me,
To keep with me for life.

Gibbeted while your hands moved ferociously-
Worked their way to your own profanes,
Regardless of my silenced, wrench-filled screamings-
Heedless of my days thereafter.

Your lips, that moved, where they desired-
Your tongue, smothering hot as fire,
Scars from burns received from your wretched wickedness-
Shall remain with me till my gibbeted end.
A gibbeted life I am determined to live,
Tears shall be salt water no more-
I shall pour blood in each drop that leaves my eye,
I shall muffle each sound that leaves my throat.

Gibbeted I shall remain, thereafter,
When I wake up from those day-time dreams.
Gibbeted I shall remain thereafter,
May peace be with you, for you need it more than me.

They say no hell’s fury is worse than a woman scorned-
I am however, silenced within.
Jolted, trembling in haste-filled retreat-
I escaped your claws, and now I sit here-
Gibbeted now, gibbeted then.
Gibbeted voice and gibbeted strength-
Silenced now, silenced then-
Here with nothing but the butchered, murderous scream of silence.

Ears none but my own to be slaughtered,
By the gibbeted scream of silence.
Naked, stripped, violated and empty-
Voided, lewd and bare,
Here I lie, come and take some more from me-
Bathe in my crimson, blood-filled tears,
Come, gibbet me more…
Aegis me from this hateful scream of silence…

Come bare me more,
Come bare me more-
Kill me then,
Leave me not after,
Chew me away, take my soul-
Gibbet me now, gibbet me more.

1. Utpala

Very well expressed the innermost feelings!!!!! Can feel everything the poem wants to convey! Hope such abusers burn in hell for they dunno wht it takes from those innocent eyes which cant even shed tears after thr inhumane act!

1. reeti singh

thank you, utpala. your comment makes me feel as if a heavy weight has been lifted off my chest. a writer can feel this only and only when his/her work is understood and has gotten under the skin of his/her reader, it is then that one can truly feel one’s writings fruitful. thank you, again!
      it is indeed true, one can really not even shed tears after such an inhuman act, which sadly leads the victim being misinterpreted, there by leaving the victim in a state where all one can ask for is for the abuser to “gibbet” her more. hauntings of such incidents often leave one in a state where one is not able to express her innermost feelings sharing which might actually help. more often then not, victims end up committing suicide or living in a state of utter delirium, helpless at not being able to share their innermost thoughts or worse, having no one to share their agonizing thoughts and end up seeking answer by isolating oneself and living their life in silent anguish.
      it is indeed a painful memory to live with capable of leaving the victim traumatized and writhing from these “hauntings”. i hope people who read this poem gain an insight to the victims state, and reach out to them in every-way possible.
      as H. Jackson Brown Jr. says-
      “Never deprive someone of hope it may be all they have .”
      by hope I do not mean restore their lives to them, that is not something you can do, and trust me, that is not what they are asking of you to do either. sometimes a faith-filled hug, an assuring glance, a kind shoulder’support can work wonders. that is what the victim needs, they do not need your “pity” or “sympathy”. they need your compassion.
      thank you again,utpala!
      it is my plea to all readers, please read these words carefully, understand them and more importantly, put them in practice. thank you!

2. Caroneen Few

Dear Ms. Singh,

I have come accross your poem “When Silence Screams” on youthkiawaaz.com website.
      I am a student at UNISA (University of South Africa), Student nr: 48367567 and is busy with a degree in Psychology. One of my subjects is Sexual Trauma and Imust design a poster as an assignment.
      I would like to use a shorter version of the above poem on the poster (I am doing Sexual abuse of children). I would appreciate it tremendously if you would be so kind as to give your consent in this regard.
      The poster is strictly for academic purposes and will not be published or distributed at all.

Your reply is eagerly awaited.
      Caroneen Few

3. reeti singh

you are welcome to use it as long as you it with proper reference to your source,caroneen few!

4. CARONEEN

Thank you! Will certainly do.

2. zubair darzi

Well written.I love the coherence and the flow of the thoughts and events in this piece..Well written Reeti

3. insomniac_080807@rediff.com

Reeti, god bless you!
    your style of writing has me hooked to youth ki awaaz’s poem section. i read your poems often, whenever i can. your poems leave me almost shaking and sweaty at the palms. you have a knack of captivating your reader and making him think of nothing else. every time i read your writings i completely forget everything else and am transported into your fantastic weave of words. brilliant work!
    and your reply on utpala’s comment- fantastic work!

1. reeti singh

thank you, insomniac!
      YKA’s poem section really does have some fabulous pieces.
      🙂
      delighted to know you like to read poetry.

4. ashish choudhary

its like i m watchng all this happening in front of my eyes and you can actually look at this thng with a perspective that you weren’t aware you had earlier !!!

m not a reader but i surely would wanna read stuff like this…

they are very differnt frm all the usual dat you often come across…i dont like romantic dumb poems of ppl who had bitter experiences…with you its very genuine and mature…n most importantly UNIQUE !!!

1. reeti singh

thank you, ashish!
      gives me great pleasure to know there are readers getting interested in reading this genre of writing. glad that it could interest you both an issue and as a piece of writing. thanks again!
      🙂

5. Prakhar Sharma

Very powerful words.They really sink in deep. I especially like , “They say no hell’s fury is worse than a woman scorned” . Only if more people understood.

Though I dont quite like the way you end.

Come bare me more-
    Kill me then,

It leaves one with no hope.
    Though overall , a very moving poem. Hoping to read more from you.

1. reeti singh

hello, prakhar!
      a ref.-“They say no hell’s fury is worse than a woman scorned” is a variant of William Shakespeare’s noting’s ““Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.”

the poem is not meant to end in hope. writing this poem was a disturbing experience in itself.
      ref- “gibbet” is the device used to hang a person at the gallows.

the aim in ending the poem in this manner was to show how the protagonist would rather be gibbeted to death than be haunted by the recurring thoughts, memories and trauma of the event. it was ended in this manner to heighten the reader’s understanding of the woman’s absolute helplessness after the incident. hope this helped.
      🙂
      constructive criticism’s always a delight. and i agree, if only more pwople understood, and more importantly, took steps to help victims.

6. aditi

you’ve gone on to become my favourite poet. very moving pieces.

7. sukrati rastogi

b’ful words used. good work, reeti!
    you outdid yourself in this one. i love your poem “numb”. ” a wild thing” left me a little scared. this one here, left me clenching on to the bed-sheet and tingled all my senses. its stunning,its sheer power!
    keep it up! am almost hungry to read more from you!

8. harsh

your work reflects a spectacular standard of quality, ma’am!
    its like fine timbre- rich and very sturdy. i somehow lost all sense of blinking and breathing when i read this and your other poems.your poems leave me unable to blink, move, breathe for some time. i could only stare at my desk, keyboard and the screen. took me a while to take a deep breath and get a glass of water to drink.
    spectacular work, Reeti!

9. Ritika Baheti

It’s an awesome piece of work. Superb compostion and setting.
    Loved it. Looking forward to read more of you.

10. Pallav

Reeti, this is your first poem that i read…and it left me spell bounded…magnetic work and very effective..It certainly left me pondering on every though u presented so well…fantastic work..keep it up!!! Amazing:)

1. reeti singh

thank you, pallav! you will find more poems by me in the “short stories and poems” section at YKA. there’s a supreb collection of really good poems on other important issues as well in this section. do check it out!
      🙂

11. pranav

woman!!!!!!!!
    i have read 2-3 poems by you, and i thought- wow this woman has guts to think,venture and write like this and then to go on and publish them where her work is open to criticism of every nature possible and then this poem emerges!!!
    extrordinary fibre you’re made of, ma’am!
    i never was an avid reader, infact, never liked reading for the matter. but your poems have inspired me to read more and also to look t the world with new point of view. i now feel less afraid to be involved in such a case where i could help the victiml. it gives me the confidence that i would really be able to help a rape victim via gestures if nothing else, and that they go a long way in helping them get back on their feet.
    ma’am, you have changed my life in terms of confidence and my responsibilty towards the society.

12. rishabh

in the face,man, in the face!
    both the poem and the comments speak enough about the poet’s skill in dealing with the issue and the situation.fearlessly potrayed.

13. Tobias Schulze

pretty indeed must be the mind of the woman who graces such grotesque with beauty so deep,
    strong and steady, moves her hand while she paints the canvas of colours so true!
    the piece speaks of an intelligent brain behind the carefull weave-word plot. I belong to the publishing world and come across various pieces every single day, but this piece here, speaks strongly.
    it almost has a physical existence of its own.
    the poem is very well written, structured well.
    you’ve chosen a good collection of words to bring out the the woman’s “gibbeted” state. “hateful scream of silence” lovely, though scary, phrase.
    intelligence speaks through words picked carefully and fitted into the flesh of a written piece. eager to read more.

14. tamanna

you have a soul, Reeti. you really do. it takes a sensitive soul to be affected to an extent to write in the way you do. god bless you. all the very best.
    you have a vivid imagination and am glad you write. i know am thanking god for having found your poems. they are a huge support for they make me feel not guilty and feeling the way i do.

15. udisha ghosh

hey reeti great poem written …..indeed u appear to be one of the new cotemporary poets …..all the best

1. reeti singh

thanks, udisha!

16. shruti

hats off to you. eager to read more. you write so very well!
    i hope Youth Ki Awaaz does an interview. am quite sure people would want to read. brilliant writer.

17. Dievirgin

Hi Reeti, I really like your poem. I am a music composer and I would like to use it for one of my tracks. Kindly let me know if that’s okay with you. You will get the due credit for it. Looking forward.

1. Reeti

You can get in touch with me via email, reeti.singh92@yahoo.com 🙂

By Nishchal Singh Rajput

By Preeti Ojha

By Mister August