Reservations In India And Why The Concept Needs To Change

Posted on September 12, 2011 in Society

By Tushar Malica:

A country with 49.5% reservation- India. Being a college student there is no better issue that as a citizen affects me. The Indian Constitution provides a quota system which aims to increase social diversity by reserving a certain number of posts in the public sector units, in all public and private educational institutions with some exceptions. Now this great effort of taking the whole country forward together in fact, ruins life of a large number of students every year when results of entrance exams are declared. A person who scored 15 marks less in the entrance is thought to be eligible for the same course where I am denied admission. And I being a general category student. So is the government implying that brains or IQ has nothing to do with higher education but ones last name does?

So our birth in a certain community decides our future! Now this is racism. I understand that there is a lot of variation in the standard of living among Indian families. We have people below poverty line who work on daily wages and people who own a Audi living on the same street. The former living on the footpath by the street and the latter living in a huge mansion situated a little further alongside the footpath. I understand if government wants to give these underprivileged a chance. This kind of reservation is welcomed, but till the school level. After that it should strictly be about quality and not quantity. Every child should be given the right to education- that should be the kind of policy the government should be working about. If every child gets a fair chance to study till class 12th I do not see any reason why there is a need of reservation after that.

We have seen authority’s reaction on the film ‘Aarakshan’. The sheer stubbornness and opposition to the film tells us that a man’s (read Prakash Jha) simple perspective put on the celluloid screen is uncomforting and offensive to them. His thought about the existence of an India within an India is true. Politicians talk about unity and peace. How can India achieve ultimate togetherness when the policy-makers themselves are creating barriers by promoting caste system? Not to forget provoking citizens to indulge in corruption, the most recent being DU scam.

If this is about guarding rights of the minority then why have eunuchs not given reservation? Why have rights of the homosexuals or bisexuals not watched? As far as I can see, they too are not accepted in the society as well. Why does it have to be about our religion or some last name that our ancestors adopted? Every time I would apply to a government job vacancy these questions will disturb me. Each time my son/daughter fails to crack a competitive exam in the future I would console them being puzzled myself. Each time I would look at a less-qualified but senior in position person this question will come to haunt me. I, the general category, am baffled in the truest of sense and with so many different “backward/minority groups”, may need a reservation myself someday.

Did you know you can add a post on Youth Ki Awaaz too? Get started here.