Swechha – A Multifaceted NGO In Delhi #INTERVIEW

By Meghavarshini Krishnaswamy:

Swechha,  a NGO  based  in  Delhi  is  a  multifaceted  organization  working  for  environmental  conservation,  waste  management,  underprivileged  children  and  volunteer   placements.  Each  wing  has its  own role to play  in  spreading  awareness  about  sustainable living  and  social  service.

Some of  the  environmental issues  intensive wings include Green-The-Gap,  INFLUENCE  and  Bridge-The-Gap.  INFLUENCE  conducts  internship and volunteer campaigns dealing with various social issues. I volunteered for the “Spotted Stop It” campaign dealing with waste generation  and its global impact in the future.  The  campaign  used  the  method  of  street theatre  and  mobile junk art exhibitions  to spread awareness and the team  performed in various college fests and market places with the simple message of ‘Use Less, Generate Less’.

Green-The-Gap  converts  non-biodegradable waste into wallets, jholas, coasters and more.  Swechha  hires its own tailors and workers  who are ensured fair conditions and salaries, thus  setting an example for workshops in Delhi. Green-The-Gap also gives its team  the opportunity to design and create “branded merchandise”  from  tetra packs, milk packing and bits of cloth. Bridge-The-Gap works with schools, creating awareness about environment related issues with field trips, interactive sessions and training. It helps children understand environmental problems by giving a new angle to textbook teaching.

Vedika  Jiandani is one  of  the co-coordinators  of Swechha. She started working for Swechha as an intern  before becoming a full time member of the team. She is a postgraduate from NIFT.

Me – What inspires you to work with Swechha on its environment conscious campaigns?

Vedika Jiandani -The most inspiring thing is the enthusiasm, commitment and energy of the volunteers. The second is the constant support of the Swechha staff. Also, the satisfaction of doing my bit for the environment and society.

Me-Tell us about the environment related projects and campaigns you have been a part of at Swechha.

Vedika – I co-coordinated the April 2011 Yamuna Yatra. We, along with 60 students from Vacant Valley school travelled to the Yamunotri and back. The purpose was to educate those class 11th students about the condition of the river and the change in the water from the origin to Vrindavan.

Me- Tell us more about volunteer mobilization. How does Swechha inspire people to participate in its campaigns?

Vedika – We do a lot of activities with volunteers at the college level under our ‘INFLUENCE’ program. We visit colleges across Delhi and interact with students, explain the different opportunities we can provide and understand their interests. We also conduct rural exposure camps on an annual basis where we take large groups of volunteers to villages where they get to see and interact with tribals.

Me- Swechha works a lot with school children. What is your prime focus?

Vedika – With school children, our focus is not only  to make them aware of the present environmental condition but also to make them think and  act in the best possible way. We regularly conduct workshops where they learn to use waste and create usable products. We take them on Yamuna walks and landfill walks as we believe in a more practical and action-based approach. When they understand the situation, children automatically start spreading awareness among their family and friends.

Me- Which campaign or project do you think s most successful and why?

Vedika-That’s really difficult to answer! However, I would say Yamuna Yatra. It is a 12-day journey to Yamunotri and back. Swechha has been organizing tem for 8 years now and has received the most amazing responses from participants. The stress is on  importance of saving the river that provides drinking water to more than 70% households in Delhi. After seeing, touching and tasting the pure  water of Yamunotri, the sight of the choking drain in Delhi leaves a deep impression.

Me- As an NGO, where do you think Swechha stands? What are the grey areas?

VedikaSwechha is still a young organization and has a lot to accomplish. At the same time, I am happy to say that even as a fresher, Swechha gave me immense leadership opportunities.  It is constantly growing and so are the projects. The only grey area I can think of is changing the mindset of our population, which refuses to come out of its comfort zone to take action. However, I am certain that if we remain determined, there is nothing we cannot achieve.

Me- How is Swechha’s contribution different from other NGOs?

Vedika– I believe that every active NGO holds the same importance as another. Swechha has always believed in building efficient networks and collaborations which has always been our strong point.

1. Anshul Tewari

Good job, Megha. I like the interview. Keep going.

2. meghavarshini

Thank you Sir.

3. s.das

this is s.das working as hydrogeologist working with ” BHOO JAQL CONSULtANt” in delhi. we are approved hydrogeological organisation based in delhi.
    If you have any quarries ? let us know ?

our mail id bhoojalconsultant@yahoo.com

4. Shashank

I wanted to be the part of such an esteemed NGO.As my curiosity towards environment is deep, Please tell me the procedure on trivedishashank2@gmail.com, Thanx.

5. Shruthi Parasa

Am a law student and would love to be part of your NGO and do my share of work for the environment which we are all part of, instead of we blaming the developed countries for global warming India should start taking massive steps and set an example to the world. Please do let me know if there is an opportunity for me to help in any way would love to.

6. Gurpal Singh

Sir , i want to be part of this organization as a volunteer to do something for the environment. kindly send the details about joining the organization.

7. Gurpal Singh

Sir , i want to be part of this organization as a volunteer to do something for the environment. kindly send the details about joining the organization. kindly contact at gurpal_virdi@yahoo.co.in. thanks

8. ravi

i want to join your ngo as a volenteer, want to save the environment

9. Ashish gupta

I would like to volunteer for the cause of saving environment. I am eager to contribute my best with your support…Pls share the related opportunity & joining process…Looking forward for your positive response

10. varun kumar singh

I m Msc in environmental sciene I wanted to be the part of such an esteemed NGO.As my curiosity towards environment is deep, Please tell me the procedure on varun6oct@gmail.com, and call me 09838882988 .thanks

11. md shahid

i am a nature lover and want to save the environment n nature

12. md shahid

i am a nature lover and want to save the environment n nature. plz help to become a part of it in saving environment. plz infor for any compaign, meeting, event or any conservation programme.

13. Niharika Singh

Dear Sir/Madam,
    As an individual of society I know my duties to keep environment clean, not to throw waste and plant tress. I understand this much for my environment but what if people especially members of RWA they do not allow me to plant trees and if I do, my planted plant saplings are thrown away by them by root. From whom should I take help. Kindly suggest.
    Thanks
    Niharika Singh
    Dilshad Garden
    Delhi

14. ujjwal anand

These days in our locality(district park,pitampura, near lp block) grass which is overgrown and leaves which fallen
    are collected and burnt down. Even though its in news that our city delhi is most polluted,but these type of pollution increasing
    method of dumping biodegadeble waste is not right.

,

By Godhuli Barat

By Sofia Babu Chacko

By Sarang Bongirwar