Chetan Bhagat”s Revolution 2020 #BookReview

By Harsha Devulapalli:

Revolution 2020 is the recently released novel written by Chetan ‘5 Point Someone’ Bhagat. With a whooping 5 lakh pre-orders, the book is all set to break his old records. The story revolves around three childhood friends innocuously named Gopal, Raghav and Aarti and how can it not be a love story? The story is set in Varanasi, a rather eccentric choice for a book whose target audience live in metropolitan cities. The blurb at the end of the book claims the book is a love story with corruption as a backdrop. There could have been no better time than the present situation to release a book that has corruption has a theme.

What’s the plot?

The narrator of the book is Gopal Mishra, who comes from a middle class background and aspires to be rich. Raghav who comes from to a well to do family aspires to change the world and Aarti Pradhan is the daughter of a bureaucrat. Gopal goes to Kota, like thousands of other IIT aspirants with a hope to get a better rank than last time. Meanwhile, Aarti falls in love with Raghav, who clears the JEE and joins BHU. Gopal fails in clearing the exam and decides to join hands with a few corrupt people who could help him get his land issues solved and help him build an engineering college( and hence become the rich guy he aspired to be) . Raghav on the other hand rejects a job offer from Infosys and chooses to stay back in Varanasi to work for a daily newspaper. Gopal begins to use his newfound riches to woo back Aarti from Raghav who is ever busy with trying to change the world. So who gets the girl? You will have to read to find out.

What to expect?

If you think the book is on the lines of the former president Abdul Kalam’s 2020 vision, you are wrong. It is a love triangle story with the “revolution” theme taking a backseat for a major part of the book. Also, the theme is rather serious compared to his earlier novels and hence there is less humour in the book.

What I thought of the book.

The storyline is good and has content that most of the youth would relate to; however the writing is more like a movie script than a novel. A lot of the conversations were in dialogue form. Apart from Gopal, no other character is dealt with deeply. Aarti’s perennial confusion makes you wonder if girls really are like that or is it just her. Raghav is the typical clichéd good guy who wants to change the world. Chetan has not given us any deep insight on why he wants to change the world. All the other side characters seem too sketchy. It also lacks the usual amount of wit that you have come to expect from Chetan Bhagat. A major highlight of the book is the climax; it is unlike his earlier books.

Verdict

If you have loved Chetan Bhagat’s earlier books, there are high chances you would like this one too. It has so many experiences that the youth can relate to. It perhaps would have been more enjoyable had the title been something else because you would have known what to expect. Nevertheless, the book makes for an entertaining read and we recommend you read it.

1. shruthi

the story is really an awesome story n im distrbd coz of it…..but why din gopal do such a sick thing!!!???

2. dhaval

reali awsum story… but frm my heart i reali missd d happy ending….. n abt d revolution ,i agre wit u…. 1day it will cum…

3. preeti

i tk d bk i wntd to fnsh it………….nt dat i jus wntd to fnsh it was bcz of d eagerness to knw wat hpns nt……..hats off sir…….rlly awesum bk……

4. akash

Chetan ji, I have read almost all your books and I must say, this book touched me the most. Excellent narration, unusual climax( but a very good one).

5. supreeta

The story is excellent, but was disappointed with the ending…. If its a true story, m eager to know why Mr.Gopal changed his mind… and more over what happened next… Is he still with arti’s memory or out of that…????????

6. Kshama Pandey

~ this is an awesome story and dear CB sir u make a great place of an ordinary boy in lots of people’s heart…… and datzz a great job…….

7. Nikhaar

Really amazing heart touching story……..amazing…..Im completely disturbed cuz of dis story:-(i had a hope of positive ending but huge disappointment…y did gopal do like dat in end….CB sir amazing story but bad disappointment….Aarti ur really unlucky….Gopal sir ur good person won against ragav….

8. honey

Gopal should be around twenty eight-twenty nine now. Director and operational head of GangaTech College; making crores, introducing newer courses every year. But he is an orphan now. He lost his mother when he was four, his father when he was eighteen and he kept on losing his real friends at every stage of his life.

But he is nice person. I only can pray that Aarti and Raghav get to know about his sacrifice and have him back in their lives as a friend.

9. yesha

Really it is the most touching story i havee ever read..even i ws dstrb for a week or above..i wnt to knw wt is d condition of gopal nw..aarti is realy an unlucky girl..

10. disappointed reader

awsum story sir, but i was very disappointed becoz of d nd. Gopal deserved aarti.

11. SIDDHARTH

Chetan ji……I hav read all ur bookz….Actually a well-insight to the present corruptions of India…….The book is really a reflecting mirror of India’s dirty politics..but dis book is totally different from your other books… ….it touched me very much especially the ending……
    If dis is a true incident story then what happened to gopal and others…..I’m really eage to know…?

.And I am Eagerly waiting 4 ur nxt book…….

12. Shilpi Chauhan

Revolution 2020 is one the best novel of Chetan Bhagat that reveal the naked social, political, religious and educational realities of Varansi. My sympathy is with Gopal and i was expecting the happy ending of the novel with the marriage of Gopal and arti but the end was really disappointing and as a reader i felt helpless who can do nothing to make Gopal happy.

Shilpi

13. ambika

i don’t like the book so much than your earlier books.it was more a love story and talked less about the revolution. it has things about the corruption in India and how politicians and power holders use the power of money and get things done but as its title is ‘revolution’ 2020 it should more had about revolution. i also find story boring in some places as it seemed to me like more a Bollywood love story than a motivation story about revolution.

14. rajesh

ending could have been more in detail.

15. IZNER

great book… but am disturbed with the ending….. really touching climax…. but why gopal did sacrifice 4 ragav… he deserve aarthi more than Ragav…