The Money Minting Business Of Private Universities: Commercialising Education And Aspirations

By Utsav Chaudhary:

Gone is the era when securing an 85 in your board exams guaranteed a seat in one of the top colleges of the country. After 2 decades, the tables have turned & even scoring a 95% won’t land you up in a college of your choice. This is the Indian education 2.0. The commencement of a highly commercialized education.

The above situation of lack of admission opportunities even with high scores has been working as a catalyst to the commercialization of Indian education system. Scoring less than average marks or not cracking any of the entrance examinations gives private colleges a chance to grab hold of these children and demand enticing perks as fees and God knows what.

A big campus outside the city, a fancy name & courses in all the fields of study that one can pursue are on the menu of these institutes. These colleges become the best bet for those whose dreams have been tarnished by the cut-offs and low marks.

These big budget colleges then go on to spend a bomb on advertising and get super stars to endorse them. Walk in admissions in these colleges have proved to be a lucrative move. Though evolution of private colleges have been a boon for the students, top Government colleges remain a preference any day. Only situation forces a person to join a private institute. Well mostly!

Since the virus of commercialization has entered the education system of India, how can the top colleges not be a part of it? Coaching institutes for entrance exams into the top notch colleges of India have also been set up across the nation. The rivalry among these institutes is already quite intense & the level of competition is rising up every year. Acquiring a commendable sum of money from a candidate and training them without any assurance of cracking the exams is probably the most innovative idea flowing through the market. Again, loads of money is spent on advertisements in which they portray these exams as docile which in reality require arduous efforts.

Education is now a way of minting money in India and is growing hastily every year. Having a commercialized sector for education surely has some drawbacks and can be misleading at times but the other side of it is where the sun shines more. The people who get rejected from other colleges can now (if they can afford) get education at these colleges. Training people for the toughest & most confounding exams can be looked upon as an act of generosity. Even though education is a business but it has only helped improving the literacy rate of the nation and has been a great step towards eradicating unemployment. At the point of dejection of a student, this line might hold true with private colleges now in contention “The room of education opens at all the ends; one has to grab an opportunity as it comes.”

What are your views on the commercialization of education in this manner?

1. Arpan Kumar

Mr Utsav have explored deeply the on going commercialisation of education and mushrooming of private universities who are not only eating a big pie of comman man’s savings/earnings who is under termendous pressure in race of giving education to his child to ensure his/her survival in the life. In this complete scene the missing link is role of our Govt. who have completely failed in having a well defined and organised education for all categories of people. Admission to these Pvt colleges have become easy but studying in these colleges is out of reach of comman man as their fee structure have no match with earning of comman man in India. If we see the fee structure of these Pvt Medical colleges and Engg colleges it’s far-far and in multiple folds to the earning of even well designated person in Govt or public sector. Education sectorhave become now a Education Industry and Govt has no time to think seriously on this as the leaders have no spare time from luring vote banks and organising crowds to show their power. What’s the use of such colleges if common man can’t afford to admit their child to such colleges………………………………………………. Well written Mr Chaudhary

2. praveen

Each Indian has a right to education, and the mushrooming commercial money minting Institutes are increasing the education gap instead of mending it.The main importance is on money making, campus placement – the education & learning comes as a by-product.All the coaching institutes have further degraded the situation by regressive teaching & narrowed the viewpoint of students.
    There has to be cheap & democratic presence in educational institutes.If this trend continues, then we will soon find an Education Bubble ready to burst & drastic condition of unemployment.

3. Utsav Chaudhary

thanks for liking it 🙂

4. Keshav

Being a first year engineering student at a private college (BITS Pilani,Pilani Campus) and also having studied at a coaching center, I would like to say that these pvt colleges only meet the demand there is for such colleges.The government in its limited capacity (going by fiscal concerns) is doing what it can in education sector. Those students who would have got 85+ 20yrs back are now getting 95+ and are getting in govt colleges as you said but those students who earlier would never have gotten into any college now at least can avail some kind of education. As far as coaching centers are concerned they also meet the demand for better education which schools cannot meet even though fees are high. However these coaching centers do add a lot of value to our society by inducing a competitive feeling among students and raise their intelligence level and hardwork capabilities.
    It is easier to complain about whats happening than to understand and appreciate it

By Silca

By Ankita Marwaha

By Ananya Tiwari