Music For Everyone, Ways To Take Music To The Under Privileged

Posted on February 25, 2012 in Media

By Saurabh Sahni:

What is the first thought that crosses your mind when you hear the word ‘music’? Well, a general answer could be “universal”. Music is something that pleases one and all, irrespective of gender, caste or income level. Whatever may be your condition, music has the capability to cheer you up. For instance, you’re in a low mood and want to sit back alone for some peace of mind; plug in the earphones with your favourite songs on and see the magic begin. You come back from work really tired and want to relax- switch on some soft music and let it energize you.

As mentioned earlier, music is for everyone- rich or poor, old or young, male or female. However, the only reason as to why a person may remain alien to the term “music” is not getting access to it. This is indeed the case with a major section of people falling in the under-privileged category of the society. Many don’t get to hear music not because they do not like it but because they lack the means to hear it. One dominant reason behind this fact is the low income level. Unlike the middle or rich category, the last stratum of the society doesn’t have the money to buy even a radio in worst cases, leave alone a television. Now, the question arises, “Isn’t it equally necessary for the under-privileged to enjoy and experience music?” Or should they be just ignored just because they earn less?

There is surely a need to find different ways to take music to them. Happily, the initiative has already been taken in some parts of the world. For example, there is a unique school in Auckland, New Zealand, that is opened with the objective of teaching music to the under-privileged children. This is one great initiative taken towards spreading music in general and needs to be applied on a global level. Apart from this, one can participate in a drive where people donate their old musical instruments or music CDs. Just like people donate their old clothes and books, donating old musical instruments to the under-privileged instead of throwing them away could “add” music to someone’s life. Thus, ways could be many. All that is required are some efforts from every individual’s side to contribute to the cause.

Image courtesy: http://www.videomaker.com/article/14929/

Did you know you can add a post on Youth Ki Awaaz too? Get started here.