Gurgaon Police: After 8 PM Women Would Be ‘Inviting’ Rape

By P.V. Swati:

In view of two gang rape incidents recently in Gurgaon, Deputy Commissioner P C Meena has issued many dos and don’ts to Gurgaon women to avoid eve-teasing and molestation. What tops his list is the criteria that women should not be out in the public after 8 PM. Meena said the incidents of molestation and eve-teasing brought a bad name to the city and tarnished its image. So, he is now out to tame the women of Gurgaon. As per to his orders, now shopping mall and pub owners and those running shops and commercial establishments have been asked to not to keep women employees on duty beyond 8 in the evening. If women employees are detained on duty after that, it should be with the permission of the Labour department!

This was a classic Sheila Dixit of course. In 2008, she did her part of obstructing women’s freedom to move about in the night and also came under attack from politicos and women activists for her comments on the murder of journalist Soumya Vishwanathan that ‘one should not be adventurous being a woman.’

Instead of implementing stringent laws to curb the few rapists out there, the Gurgaon Police decided to uproot all the women from their work places by 8’o clock in the evening. This curfew clearly reflects the authority’s attitude towards women. There is an obvious attempt to restrain women’s freedom, but apart from that legitimising 8 PM as the standard time for women to be out of the public areas has rather put them in more danger. Instead of ensuring for safety for women, the Gurgaon police have imposed limitations on them.

Meena added that if women employee are deputed on duty during the night shift, that is, after 8PM, her safe transportation from her home to place of duty and vice versa will be the responsibility of the employer who will have to keep a daily record of the vehicle used, its registration number, time of departure, name of driver who is entrusted the task of picking up or dropping the women employees. Plus, the place from where the women employees boarded the vehicle that is, parking place should have a CCTV camera there so that it can be ascertained that the woman was not lifted forcibly.

Meena made it worse by stating that if these instructions were not followed, then case will be registered against the pub and mall owner as well. Not only did he curtail women’s freedom to be out when they want to, he gave the employers a great apprehension from recruiting women to the workforce in future. With so many legalities, regulations and stringent surveillance recommend for women workers, it is rather an easy option for authorities to avoid employing women altogether.

What the Gurgaon police seems to have did is giving a free pass to the rapists to do their thing post 8 in the night. Any woman now who is out after the official curfew of 8 would do nothing but ‘invite’ men to sexually harass her. The police forces have shed their responsibilities of making Gurgaon safer by playing the classic card of holding the women responsible for being raped.

The question is whether this what we need- an 8 PM curfew? Isn’t making the city a safer place to live, work and move about a more civil way to go about it rather than imposing deadlines on the citizens? The police being the protective authorities of the state is invested with responsibility of maintaining law and order. This can’t be carried on by curtailing the rights of the people. What the Gurgaon police needs is a change of attitude and a drive to root out the factors leading to the problems instead of robbing women off their right to work and travel whenever they want to.

1. Ajay

Kisi Govt. official ki baat ka misinterpretation karwana ho to in ladies inspectors se karwayo. This is not that simple issue which these women are taking this. She means govt. or police are not interested to curb such elements who are ruining women modesty without fear…. har baat par women freedom women freedom…. madam writer just also share ur opinions about what is the meaning of freedom for u…. Osho said in his discourse once that women is also responsible for her rape… may be this can anger u! but this is very complicated issue and need intellect…… women freedom ka jhanda utha kar cheeze nahin badalti….
    i want respect and safety for women and not by alleging officials…..
    KAMI HAMARE ANDER BHI HOTI HAI MADAM

1. Shivangi Singh

Mr. Ajay,
      We are discussing a very sensitive and RELEVANT issue here so no need to bring in Osho for starters!
      It’s very easy for a male to blame women for enticing them. How will you feel if women start attacking every man who walks half-naked on the streets( and there is no shortage of such men!) and then blame their “inappropriate dressing” for our actions?
      The freedom that your lot enjoys makes you forget it’s importance; you can roam around at any point of time at night, wearing whatever you please. How can you forget that, a girl is also a human-being and we too want to feel like a free bird, and do whatever we feel like!!
      No one has accused any official here and looking at your comment above I highly doubt that you wish the best for the fairer sex. You are very right in saying, “this is very complicated issue and need intellect”. May be, you should try using your own advice! I agree with you at one more point, “KAMI HAMARE ANDER BHI HOTI HAI” and I hope you agree with me too when I say the same applies to men!
      My diagnosis for you: Next time, think before you write such disgusting and flaming comments on a platform(Youth Ki Awaz) dedicated to women empowerment!!!
      Warmest regards.
      Your nemesis.

2. Anoop Singh

I agree…
      I think this problem is because of those policemen, in city like gurgaon, noida where gilrs are working not only girls people work in metros late night. And private firms pays a lot to our corrupt system to provide people jobs and an out image to city.

I do job in mumbai, i have been in pune for 4 years, but here police do their job.
      Girls and guys feel safe here all the night.

I think its more to police and obviously mentality of local people over there.
      I have observed it , i myself is from delhi and its a fact there is a huge difference between ppl of north and other part of country towards women.

So we youths and police is only two roles who have control over such incidents.

2. Shivangi Singh

My heart goes out to all the girls of the Delhi and N.C.R. as all of them are a victim in some way or the other. By imposing an 8 p.m. curfew the government is only strengthening the roots of such crimes as this encourages the criminals, giving them more power and sending out the wrong message that we are scared of the monsters who commit these hideous crimes.
    Being a girl, it’s not only shocking but also insulting to hear a woman Chief Minister asking women to mind themselves and completely limit their freedom rather than taking stringent steps to put the criminals behind bars and make the capital of India safe for women at all hours.

3. Ajay

Madam Shivani, thanx for ur concerning advice. u r woman and i can understand ur every single view but the way u interpret my comment is shocking again.
    1. Make the laws as u suggested…. hard laws against rapists… will than rape stop?
    2. There are so much existing laws; what happened till yet?
    3. i said castrate the rapists as one of ur previous article suggest, i read that! will than rape stop?
    4. sabhi ko freedom achi lagti hai, main bhi chahta hu ki both gender freely move kare, kahi bhi kabhi bhi; i m not anti-woman or supportive of any curfew, lekin cheez aisi nahin badelgi?
    5. send ur heart wish for all woman and NCR girls, does this stop rape?
    6. Sex or forced sex is a trigger; find from where that trigger is coming? jab trigger aata hai na madam hi, koi law yaad nahin rehta hai! baad mein chahe banda pachtaye ya kuch bhi kare.
    7. us trigger ka victim banti hai aurte? ek moment khatam kar deta hai sab kuch! prevention is cheez ko samjhne mein hai!!!!

1. Akula

I got what u re saying. Be a change urself for this. If u already are, then don’t give up.

2. Somesh

I agree with your points, Ajay. There is, however, just no constitutional basis for the restriction that the police has cast.

Everybody knows its risky to go out at night and work. IF Women stay at home after 8PM, they will do it for their own safety. The police has no right to impose a restriction in the name of protection.
      Its like saying since your money can be stolen, we will not let you earn money. That way it won’t be stolen.
      That’s flawed logic

3. Ajay

i also did not support curfew somesh ji but i also did not support the quote iike “This curfew clearly reflects the authority’s attitude towards women.”
      through this article, i only understand that tough law can make the city safe for women; but i m doubted here !!! Only tough laws are not sufficient. maine apne ek comment mein trigger ki baat ki to ek madam ne yeh samjha ki jiska rape ho raha hai usne late night mein jakar trigger de diya !!!! maine sirf trigger ki baat ki uske source ki nahin !!!
      sabhi ko mein is platform par anti women lag raha hu lekin jo main kehna chah raha hu woh koi samj nahin raha !!!!

4. Akula

SHAME !!! It never happens in developed countries, and BTW many ordinary Indian men are known to be flirts, arrogant, and stubborn in their conduct towards women……….it’s even proved……..simple law n order never worked on these disgusted lot of Indian men (not the decent ones)………soo best zz to award capital punishment to men, who are really guilty of this (since rape is like, equal to death of a woman in society and abstracticaly)…..

5. Aishvarya

Ajay ji,
    haaa Osho is correct!! a woman IS responsible for her rape isn’t it?A 5 year old who was raped by her uncle brought it upon her right?And so did the mentally disturbed 18 year old who has no control over her actions…Correct!!you are right because all men are right,which is so because women are inherently wrong!kya philosophy hai!Kudos to you!!AND to Osho for uttering such truthful phrases!

6. Ajay

i m sorry ladies !!! i think i m unable to make my point.

1. vikash

Ajay,
      If osho says a women is responsible for her rape then he doesnt deserve to be a preacher and better we bring him down to earth. Secondly about blaming officials, yes everyone is correct. We pay taxes for our security, for freedom to work till 8,9,10, 11 ……, noone has the right to say that w shouldnt work beyond 8 just because they are inefficient in thier work of protesting us.
      What if a girl is raped at 4pm, will they be asking everyone to be at home for whole day, or they would be mandating a daylight curfew.
      Very surprising to read a comment like this.

7. Agoutham77

wonderful article.  I totally agree with it.  We have a very unhealthy attitude where we blame  for the actions of a criminal.  Take away the the basic rights of one half of the population in order to control the crime. What a joke!

8. KJ

Women Can’t Be out in the open After 8!! oh no Sir, that’s when the State lets loose the rapists , cannibals and murderers!!!!
    This Just goes to show, that the general behaviour meted out to the women here in India is just so unfair!!! WTF are these rules and regs!!

By Saroj Kumar Pattnaik

By Javed Jaffri

By Asra Naaz