Bittoo Boss: A Sacrilege On The Unsuspecting Audience [Film Review]

By Sadhogopal Ram:

It seems as if half-baked stories, uninspired attempts, and poor executions have become the trademarks of films that Bollywood dish out every week.

Bittoo Boss is no different. Predictable. Slow. A half-baked story, poorly narrated, bundled with immature acting and some very lame dialogues. There is nothing to take away from Bittoo Boss, except the fact that whatever may have been the intention of Supavitra Babul, it was good, trying to touch the subject of blue films of innocent, unsuspecting couples on their honeymoon is never easy. Such subjects require some very authentic approach and well-crafted execution, which writer/director Supavitra Babul not only just fails to deliver but also fails to invoke any major emotional reaction.

Bittoo Boss, played by newcomer Pulkit Samrat, is a story of Bittoo videographer, who shoots videos at weddings and parties. He is the star of a small town called Anandpur Sahib in Punjab, where without his video service no wedding is possible. This Bittoo is but more than just a videographer, he is a dreamer, who captures dreams through his camera. He believes in spreading smile on everyone’s face, which he does through his video service. He dreams of making it big one day. But destiny has something else in store for him. He falls in love with an educated and strong-headed girl, who believes that money is what makes a person respectable in society. Bittoo, being a righteous cameraman, who refuses to shoot sleazy videos of couples, thinks it otherwise. He loves her but cannot accept her version of world, she cares about him but thinks nothing of him. They part ways even before their story began. But Bittoo now hurt in love, wants to make money anyhow and agrees to shoot “honeymoon” videos of couples. He packs his bag and heads to Shimla, “desh ki aadhi aabaadi ka beej toh yahin dalta hai”, as proclaimed by the cab driver he meets on his way.

What follows next is two separate short stories of two couples, one college couple and one newly wed. These two short stories are the only attempt worth praising in Bittoo Boss. The actions of these two couples on screen evokes reactions, at times even making the connect which Bittoo Boss and its lead couples as whole fails to make at any point of time. There is no visible chemistry between the lead pairs of Bittoo Boss, nor is there any strong scene between them. In fact, at the end of the film, I realised that the role of Amita Pathak as Mrinalini was not only unnecessary but also forced. Had the film been centred around the vital subject that it slightly tries to touch, it would have been a well attempted effort.

The songs are there, as they are in any other Bollywood bandwagon, serving little purpose but still there just to fill in the blanks. Bittoo Boss has its share of happy, sad and peppy songs, although not a single track manages to stand out. Just chaos.

Last words, Bittoo Boss is a film made with good intention but with very, very bad execution. There is no continuity of shots in it, nor is there any amount of consistency in the story that it tries to tell. It fails in part, it fails in whole, in short, Bittoo Boss is just another fizzled floss.

Skip it. Go watch a video of any family member’s or friend’s wedding instead.

By Ali Qalandar

By Nehal

By Abhishek Karadkar